Dead Air Mask - Vudoo Update -- all is well. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:58 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Dead Air Mask - Vudoo Update -- all is well.

Took the Vudoo Ravage out to the range again yesterday with the Dead Air Mask to produce a test target (and check for key-holing). Last time, I was all over the target shotgun style, but neglected to keep the target.

My initial thread is here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1181093

This time, the dang thing shot great with the Dead Air Mask on it. You know what that means, don't you? "Operator error" for that first experience two weeks ago. I gotta eat some crow there, as I can't explain those results any other way. On the other hand, I was seeing the performance I expected from the rifle-suppressor combo and now there is no need for addition customer service, time/money/shipping etc. So can't be too upset about any of that.

I'm not 100% sure what I did wrong last time? Failed to screw everything together tightly? Cross threaded the can to barrel? Put the DAM back together improperly after its initial cleaning? Dunno. I don't think those things are likely, but the results were what they were. Can't argue with data, you just do your best to interpret it.

Anyway, the bits and pieces are playing together nicely now, so I am a happy camper.

Had an extensive conversation with Mike B. at Vudoo prior to getting everything to work out. As usual, their customer service was outstanding. His travels in a given month take him not too far from us -- he actually offered to drop by and shoot the combination himself to see what's what. That's not a level of attention you'll get from anyone, as far as I know. Well, I'm sorry not to have the opportunity to go shooting with him, but at the same time happy the "extra mile" was not needed in this case.

Stay warm,

flangster

Last edited by flangster; 01-16-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear it is working as expected/desired now.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Yupper. Pretty relieved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 11:18 AM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Took the Vudoo Ravage out to the range again yesterday with the Dead Air Mask to produce a test target (and check for key-holing). Last time, I was all over the target shotgun style.

See the initial thread here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1181093

This time, the dang thing shot great with the Dead Air Mask on it. You know what that means, don't you? "Operator error" for that first experience two weeks ago. I gotta eat some crow there, as I can't explain those results any other way. On the other hand, I was seeing the performance I expected from the rifle-suppressor combo and now there is no need for addition customer service, time/money/shipping etc. So can't be too upset about any of that.

I'm not 100% sure what I did wrong last time? Failed to screw everything together tightly? Cross threaded the can to barrel? Put the DAM back together improperly after its initial cleaning? Dunno. I don't think those things are likely, but the results were what they were. Can't argue with data, you just do your best to interpret it.

Anyway, the bits and pieces are playing together nicely now, so I am a happy camper.

Had an extensive conversation with Mike B. at Vudoo prior to getting everything to work out. As usual, their customer service was outstanding. His travels in a given month take him not too far from us -- he actually offered to drop by and shoot the combination himself to see what's what. That's not a level of attention you'll get from anyone, as far as I know. Well, I'm sorry not to have the opportunity to go shooting with him, but at the same time happy the "extra mile" was not needed in this case.

Stay warm,

flangster
Got a pic of your target?
Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC View Post
Got a pic of your target?
Here ya go. The ten shot groups themselves are no great shakes. Temps yesterday were in the 30's and I just grabbed a couple of boxes of SK Std Plus, Federal Target and Automatch off the shelf in order to check function. None of this ammunition shoots all that consistently in these temperatures, although there was no wind to speak of.

Also, in my haste to get to the range, I forgot to pack my rear Protektor bunny-ear bag, so I was shooting with a bipod and the rifle butt against my shoulder. Not my preferred set up. Best groups (below) come off a Bald Eagle front rest and a Protektor rear bag. Still, pix is pix.

Here's the Automatch at 50 Yards (about what I'd expect) with the can.

Here's an OK group with SK Standard Plus at 50 also with the can:

Here's couple more SK Standard groups, including a 10-shot, all with the Dead Air Mask:

So, nothing to write home about -- I'd call these "plinking" groups. The ammunition that really gets the best out of the Vudoo (so far) has been Center-X and Midas +.

Here's unsuppressed, in warmer temps with Midas+ (pretty sure I've posted this before).

The point of the outing was going to be "proof" that the rifle's threading at the muzzle was off-center. I thought I was going to get 8-inch groups with some keyholing, which is what I got last time. (I was so disappointed, I threw out the target). Instead, I proved that the can and the rifle can perform as desired. A nice, if unexpected, result.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:45 PM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flangster, THANKS for these pics!! I am considering a Vudoo and am interested in anything pertaining to them. You did a great job with the pics and explaining them. Thanks, again!
ccc
Old 01-16-2020, 01:13 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Well, I really like mine. They have their preferences, like any rimfires. For instance, they don't want to chamber CCI-SV. I guess those case heads are just sliiiighly too thick. Oh, you can get the bolt to close, but it requires a bit more effort. With the Lapua brand cartridges, the action is pretty smooth, though. Also, like all rifles, I have to "do my part" which includes ammo selection. I am sure that we'll before I wear this thing out I will have spent more on ammunition than on the rifle. And it won't be close...

Thinking about sending it off to the Lapua test center...we shall see.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk