Hammer/Sear Kit install advice Ruger/22/45/MKIV - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:37 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
Ted, I just replaced the stock hammer, hammer bushing, sear & sear spring with the Volquartsen hammer and sear kit (VC4HSK). Everything else is stock. I spoke to Volquartsen this morning and they said that there should have been a small black washer in the kit (there wasn't) that is placed between the sear spring and the sear. Volquartsen says that is probably the problem. They are sending me one today. It makes sense since the washer will move the sear ever so slightly to the right allowing the trigger bar to engage the sear. If this solves the problem I can't understand why this needed part isn't included in the kit.

From Volquartsen's website,
22/45 users only: there is a small, black spacer included in the kit. This spacer is to be installed between the spring and sear. It is not pictured here.
Great, VQ has very responsive CS!!

You are dropping these VQ parts in your 22/45, not your target (as per statements in post #1 & #11)?!?

Let us know how this works out!

Ted
Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Great, VQ has very responsive CS!!

You are dropping these VQ parts in your 22/45, not your target (as per statements in post #1 & #11)?!?

Let us know how this works out!

Ted
You are right, my bad. I thought the 22/45 MKIV 5.5 barrel was called Target, but nowhere on the box or lit does it say target. On a side note the kit does say for "MKIV 22/45".
Old 01-06-2020, 12:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
You are right, my bad. I thought the 22/45 MKIV 5.5 barrel was called Target, but nowhere on the box or lit does it say target. On a side note the kit does say for "MKIV 22/45".
Old 01-07-2020, 09:22 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
ANOTHER UPDATE!!

VQ contacted me and said the black spacer will not solve the problem. The spacer was for a different sear. They are sending me a disconnector instead. Can't say enough about their customer service, they have bent over backwards to help solve the problem and have been extremely responsive. Even got an email this morning letting me know the disconnector has been shipped with tracking #. Refreshing to deal with a company that seems to "really" care about their customers satisfaction.

From VQ;

We did discontinue the kit as we found variances in the frame that did require our disconnector. I think once you get that installed you will be good to go.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:37 PM
WilCox
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen's MKIV target sear is only compatible with their disconnector (VC2DN). It will not work with the factory disconnector that came in your 22/45. I found that out the hard way too so you should be good to go once you get it.

Also my kit didn't come with the "small black spacer" either. Apparently some 22/45 frames are ok without it. Mine isn't. Volquartsen sent me a couple free of charge. They're good folks.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:59 PM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
[QUOTE=WilCox;11731231]Volquartsen's MKIV target sear is only compatible with their disconnector (VC2DN). It will not work with the factory disconnector that came in your 22/45. I found that out the hard way too so you should be good to go once you get it.

Thanks for the info! Sounds encouraging. On a high note this will be my fourth time doing this mod so now I can do it blind folded. LOL
Old 01-08-2020, 11:40 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCox
Volquartsen's MKIV target sear is only compatible with their disconnector (VC2DN).
This is true, but I have to wonder why.

My VQ disconnector is paired up with a VQ MKII sear. That sear works fine with either - Ruger or VQ disconnector.

Comparing the disconnectors - the Ruger has a steeper angle on the top/leading portion the bolt pushes down.

Comparing the MKII/MKIV sears - the MKIV sear has a deeper notch cut that the disco tab slips down into.

I'm just wondering if trimming the leading edge of the Ruger disconnector to have a little shallower angle would allow it to work with the MKIV sear?

It would be nice to know, but not that important I guess - since VQ will provide a disconnector that is compatible. Just my curious ramblings.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:38 PM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I can get the stock disconnector to engage the sear IF I give it a ever so slight nudge towards the inside of the frame. If I don't give it that nudge the trigger doesn't engage. it's weird and of course my crappy bad luck. I really hope the VQ disconnector works, ive messed with this gun way more than necessary.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:14 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Any tips or info on replacing the disconnector. It should arrive today and going to install this evening. Thanks and I'm hoping to submit a range report this weekend.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Any tips or info on replacing the disconnector. It should arrive today and going to install this evening. Thanks and I'm hoping to submit a range report this weekend.
TB,

Did you initially remove the mag disconnect and spring (#22 & #25)???

When you remove the trigger (by pressing down on #4-pivot retainer) to install the front of the VQ disconnector into the trigger top hole, make sure and keep the bolt open stop spring (#5) in place...it's small and can easily get lost. The trigger's top plunger and spring (#8 & #7) are much larger and typically, easy to keep track of.

Of course, you have to remove, or at least "back out", the safety lever in order to lift up the hammer+bushing+disconnector window for the new DC swap out. Here, watch out for the safety's detent and spring (#28 & #27), they'll also magically disappear (don't ask how I know all this)!

Hope it goes smooth...

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 01-10-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:33 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
FINAL UPDATE

Thanks Ted. The disconnector install was no problem and did solve the trigger problem. Put about 300 rds through it yesterday and it ran flawlessly. I really am amazed at how much of a improvement this modification made. So much easier to shoot now. Really happy with the final outcome. I'd like to thank everyone for their tips, advice and info.

PS- Looks like I'm going to have to do the same to my 22/45 MKIV lite.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Ted. The disconnector install was no problem and did solve the trigger problem. Put about 300 rds through it yesterday and it ran flawlessly. I really am amazed at how much of a improvement this modification made. So much easier to shoot now. Really happy with the final outcome. I'd like to thank everyone for their tips, advice and info.

PS- Looks like I'm going to have to do the same to my 22/45 MKIV lite.
TP,

Great you got your 22/45 working so well!

I have to whole heartily agree...my mods also made both my Hunter and 22/45 Lite Great Target precision shooting rimfires...now, need to work on the shooter (Me)!!!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 01-11-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:01 PM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ted, I am by far the " weakest link " when it comes to my guns accuracy. But I keep trying. LOL! I did place another order for the exact same parts (kit and disconnector) for my MKIV LITE.