Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 PM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
...................... My problem with the Viper is I do a "where's Waldo" searching for the red dot .......................
The fastest acquisition for me is with a tube type dot. There's something about them that works in a similar fashion to peep sights, a natural sort of alignment that happens almost without thought.

In tube dots, I like Ultradots and prefer the ones with selectable dot sizes. I like digger dots, often going for a dot that pretty much covers the black like an eclipse.

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#

Last edited by chim; 12-30-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:17 PM
KRAZO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the replies. I think ive decided to get the browning reflex and bank on the warranty if I have any issues. this gets me up and going with the setup im looking for.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A couple hints/suggestions on "finding the dot" when using red dots on pistols...

For a tube-type red dot, think of the rear of the tube (the end nearest your eye) as a ring, and when you look through it, you see a circle of light that represents the front of the tube. Center the circle of light in the ring, and you'll be able to see the red dot. This is fairly intuitive, which is why people often find it easier to "find the dot" in tube-style red dots. If that simple suggestion is not working for you, keep reading...

For a reflex or "window" type red dot, my suggestion is twofold. First, get your grip correct and consistent. Correct means that you can comfortably pull the trigger straight back towards your dominant eye by moving only your trigger finger. Grip the pistol consistently every time you pick it up (it can help to pick the pistol up with your off hand and "place" it into your strong hand, rather than scooping it up directly off the table). Identify and use little markers to be consistent, like your thumb just barely touches the mag release, or the pad of your pinky finger is on the edge of the grip, or your extended (i.e. not in the trigger guard) trigger finger is touching a certain spot on the frame, etc.; this is called "indexing" your grip.

Second, while holding the pistol in your shooting grip and stance, find the red dot, and, while keeping the dot visible on the window, start looking at other surfaces on the pistol or red dot, and make a note of what you can see, and what you cannot see. For example, the strip surrounding the window should look like a line, and you should not be able to see either side of the barrel or slide, etc. Some window-style red dots have white center-line markings that help with this. Move the pistol around to make the dot leave the window to the left... what can you see now? How about when it's pointed off the the right? Or high? Or low? Note the changes in what surfaces you can see, or how it looks. It might take several range trips and/or dry fire sessions to get it down, but you'll eventually develop a mental picture of what the pistol + red dot looks like when it's lined up and the dot is visible on the window, and you'll also be able to look at a mis-aligned hold and figure out what's wrong (too high vs too low, etc.).

With even more practice, you'll get to the point where you don't even have to think about it any more... you just pick it up, raise it to the target, and the red dot is right there waiting for you.

If it's not happening for you immediately, keep at it. I teach kids how to shoot pistols with red dots, and they almost all have issues finding the dot initially, but they always figure it out after a few sessions. Nobody said it wasn't going to take some practice.

Dave
Old 12-31-2019, 02:55 PM
AutoFan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Burris was on a 1911 45ACP, but a shooting buddy had an identical one go bad on a 22lr pistol. The Vortex was on a 9mm Walther PPQ.

The UltraDot is on my Buckmark, no problems.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:50 PM
Kirby
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dave: Thank you for your info. I have a tube type red dot on a S&W M&P 15/22, which I sometimes use at the rimfire challenge -- it is much easier/quicker for me than the reflex.

On the relex: my grip/stance is pretty much consistent. The gun is brought up to eye level and I don't bend my head so the red/green dot should show up without me fiddling around. I'd prefer to hold the gun at the top of the start cone and with my eyes looking at the first steel target. I loose 1 second most times looking for the dot. To compensate, I locate the green dot (set on full) above the start cone. At the tone I bring it up to my shooting position and I'm on the steel - I don't loose any time using that method. If I draw from a holster (steel Challenge) it's a mess -I'd just as well might ditch the red dot and go with iron sights. I was trying to find a reference point as you suggest but none so far. I'll just keep working at it. I'm retired so I have a lot of time to practice.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Get the Vortex.
+1 Also while the Vortex may be on the high end of your budget, it has a lifetime warranty. So you'll never have to worry about replacing it if it stops working. I don't know if any other electronic sites are warrantied for life.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:47 PM
KRAZO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
+1 Also while the Vortex may be on the high end of your budget, it has a lifetime warranty. So you'll never have to worry about replacing it if it stops working. I don't know if any other electronic sites are warrantied for life.

This is a good point.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:35 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Burris has a Forever Warranty on all their optics. I can tell you from experience that they honor it, no questions asked, regardless of what happened to the optic, regardless of whose fault it was.

I like my Fastfire 3 and other 5 Burris scopes and sights. They are one of my favorite optics suppliers, very good product for the money, IME.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:39 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
Burris has a Forever Warranty on all their optics. I can tell you from experience that they honor it, no questions asked, regardless of what happened to the optic, regardless of whose fault it was.

I like my Fastfire 3 and other 5 Burris scopes and sights. They are one of my favorite optics suppliers, very good product for the money, IME.
A lot of optics manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty. The problem is most of them cover scopes but not electrical components. At least not forever. I'm not sure if Burris does, as far as I know Vortex is the only one that does.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:18 PM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Burris Fastfire and Leupold DeltaPoint are lifetime too.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Burris Fastfire and Leupold DeltaPoint are lifetime too.
I didn't know that. Both good optics also.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Travis299
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Burris FF III on Hunter

I mounted the Burris FF III on my hunter and to locate the dot I look just above the green FO front sight, easy peasy. I had problems with a Burris Fullfield scope which Burris replaced immediately with a new model. Great CS as far as I am concerned and Burris is right up there with LL Bean.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:36 PM
RH45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't buy a dot sight that didn't have a lifetime warranty.
As has been said, Burris and Vortex have excellent customer service.