Facts vs. Opinions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2019, 08:49 AM
Ralph Spoilsport

Join Date: 
Jan 2010
Location: 
Central Virginia
Posts: 
521
TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
Facts vs. Opinions



Log in to see fewer ads
After shooting this RFBR game for 8 years and achieving some level of success I’m struck by the amount of opinions that are stated as facts.

Cleaning methods… Tuning methods… Lapua vs. Eley… Coated vs. uncoated rods… PAS vs. SAP actions… Single vane flags vs. dual vane flags… long tails vs. short tails vs. NO tails… two lugs vs. three lugs. The list goes on and on. These, and many more like them, are opinions, firmly believed by many, but, still… just opinions.

After these 8 years of shooting RFBR I have come to believe less than a handful of true facts in this game:
1. Killer ammo is our undeniable holy grail.
2. A great barrel is pretty hard to beat.
3. Never give up on a target…every X counts.
4. Patience is the RFBR shooters’ most overlooked virtue.

For a new shooter looking for information my advice is to seek opinions and consider them as just that. You’ll find out what works for you- and that’s all that really matters.

Bruce Hornstein
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:00 AM
HuskerP7M8 is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2007
Location: 
Nebraska
Posts: 
847
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well said Bruce, and I couldn't agree more!

The only thing you mentioned that I might emphasize more strongly would be opinions on tuning.
Just my humble opinion (LOL), but in recent years I've never seen so much BS dealing with the subject and stated as fact!

Landy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:32 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Location: 
Midwest
Posts: 
2,145
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot of good information is posted here, but there is also a lot of misinformation posted here. It is best to treat it all as just information which should be tested to verify whether it will work.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-29-2019, 12:21 PM
Highmiles is online now
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
NC
Posts: 
53
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks from a new guy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2020, 04:54 AM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2013
Location: 
Maine
Posts: 
559
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport View Post
After shooting this RFBR game for 8 years and achieving some level of success I’m struck by the amount of opinions that are stated as facts.

Cleaning methods… Tuning methods… Lapua vs. Eley… Coated vs. uncoated rods… PAS vs. SAP actions… Single vane flags vs. dual vane flags… long tails vs. short tails vs. NO tails… two lugs vs. three lugs. The list goes on and on. These, and many more like them, are opinions, firmly believed by many, but, still… just opinions.

After these 8 years of shooting RFBR I have come to believe less than a handful of true facts in this game:
1. Killer ammo is our undeniable holy grail.
2. A great barrel is pretty hard to beat.
3. Never give up on a target…every X counts.
4. Patience is the RFBR shooters’ most overlooked virtue.

For a new shooter looking for information my advice is to seek opinions and consider them as just that. You’ll find out what works for you- and that’s all that really matters.

Bruce Hornstein
Truer words have not been spoken!
The only thing I'd add to Bruce's list is confidence.

Keith
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2020, 08:29 AM
52DH&R12 is online now

Join Date: 
Jul 2011
Location: 
Pembroke Va.
Posts: 
2,147
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Valued Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerP7M8 View Post
Well said Bruce, and I couldn't agree more!

The only thing you mentioned that I might emphasize more strongly would be opinions on tuning.
Just my humble opinion (LOL), but in recent years I've never seen so much BS dealing with the subject and stated as fact!

Landy
Landy, seeming as how you have most likely put more rounds down range than anyone, using many various lots, in tunnel conditions, please tell us about your tuning method.

George
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2020, 08:57 AM
vlnbyr

Join Date: 
Mar 2010
Location: 
Central Ohio
Posts: 
1,277
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
You guys are living in the past, in today's modern world opinions triple-trump any facts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-01-2020, 12:05 PM
HuskerP7M8 is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2007
Location: 
Nebraska
Posts: 
847
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52DH&R12 View Post
Landy, seeming as how you have most likely put more rounds down range than anyone, using many various lots, in tunnel conditions, please tell us about your tuning method.

George
Hey George,

Sorry, but no.
The last thing this forum needs is another so called expert. Until people start to realize testing/gathering data is the easy part, and simply must progress to an analysis of said data to find the answers they're seeking, we'll be arguing about tuning for the next 20 years just as we've argued about it for the last 20 years.

I'd rather row upstream in white water than spend the New Year fighting a losing battle.

I hope we get the chance to meet someday, and at that time, I'll give you my opinions on tuning face to face. You'd better be prepared to run for the hills and maybe get Kenny to run interference! LOL

Landy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2020, 01:30 PM
52DH&R12 is online now

Join Date: 
Jul 2011
Location: 
Pembroke Va.
Posts: 
2,147
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerP7M8 View Post
Hey George,

Sorry, but no.
The last thing this forum needs is another so called expert. Until people start to realize testing/gathering data is the easy part, and simply must progress to an analysis of said data to find the answers they're seeking, we'll be arguing about tuning for the next 20 years just as we've argued about it for the last 20 years.

I'd rather row upstream in white water than spend the New Year fighting a losing battle.

I hope we get the chance to meet someday, and at that time, I'll give you my opinions on tuning face to face. You'd better be prepared to run for the hills and maybe get Kenny to run interference! LOL

Landy
Landy, fair enough. I do however place you much higher than a so called expert.

George
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x