Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:38 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How Much Barrel Nut Torque...

...are folks using on .22LR dedicated uppers? I thermo-fit my barrel, so I don't think it is going away without heat and persuasion. Wondering if a .22LR needs as much barrel nut torque as a centerfire AR. Once I get the hand guard and install it, the Aero Precision barrel nut will not be able to move as the guard has wings that fit the sides of the receiver.

Last edited by Mike_AK; 12-28-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I torque my AR .22lr barrel nuts to 35-40 ft lbs using the same procedure as for .223 barrels, ie. lube threads with anti-seize, torque, loosen, torque, loosen, final torque.

Nolan
Old 12-27-2019, 10:29 PM
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I generally install a 22lr barrel the same as a centerfire, take it to 35ft-lb, then torque a little farther as needed to align the nut for proper handguard installation.

I almost always use the $40 10" ALG EMR-V0E (https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v0-e.html) when building, which uses various shims and an indicator wrench rather than torque to set the nut, which I think is far superior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2019, 01:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I like a lot of torque in the barrel nut and use a torque wrench so I don't end up breaking something. I've broken GI nuts when I had a three pin wrench. After selling that wrench, I've never damaged anything.

What I get from the process we've all read for installing and torqueing the nut, numbers were put to that process so people would neither leave the barrel loose nor break the receiver in an attempt to get it farmer tight. The ALG procedure gets to the same destination via a different route.

I would not leave that Aero nut with fewer than 35 foot pounds.

Last edited by zukiphile; 12-29-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I like a lot of torque in the barrel nut and use a torque wrench so I don't end up breaking something. I've broken GI nuts when I had a three pin wrench. After selling that wrench, I've never damaged anything.

What I get from the process we've all read for installing and torqueing the nut, numbers were put to that process so people would neither leave the barrel loose nor break the receiver in an attempt to get it farmer tight. The ALG procedure get to the same destination via a different route.

I would not leave that Aero nut with fewer than 35 foot pounds.
I dug out my barrel nut wrench, 1/2" torque wrench and found my tube of Aeroshell 64 (12 lifetime supply) and torqued down the barrel this afternoon. 36 foot pounds and three shims did the trick and got everything lined up so the mounting holes are in the correct position for the handguard when it comes.

Last edited by Mike_AK; 12-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:55 PM
ILhondo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mike-AK, what does thermo-fit mean? Did you have to heat the receiver to allow fitment of the barrel? I trued the receiver face and then used Loctite 620 to glue the barrel in, torqueing to 35-40 foot pounds before the Loctite setup. The barrel extension/receiver fit wasn't snug but wasn't loose either before applying Loctite.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILhondo View Post
Mike-AK, what does thermo-fit mean? Did you have to heat the receiver to allow fitment of the barrel?
Yes, rather it's the technique for the interference fit where the OD of the barrel extension is greater than the ID of the receiver. The receiver expands just enough that a cold barrel can be snuck in.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:48 PM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Yes, rather it's the technique for the interference fit where the OD of the barrel extension is greater than the ID of the receiver. The receiver expands just enough that a cold barrel can be snuck in.
It's what John at Lothar Walther recommended I do and it worked like a charm.