Purple stock from Richards Microfit - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:40 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Purple stock from Richards Microfit

Well, my sister really wanted a purple stock for her 10/22 and chose the Tac Driver from Richards. Against my better judgement, I placed the order. One has to read a lot of reviews to find many that are favorable from Richards! To make matters worse I let stupidity step in. I have a Savage 93R that I was wanting to restock so I decided to order a second one at the same time (not purple) as shipping was minimal. After 3 MONTHS the stocks finally arrived! I only called a couple of times during that period as I didn't want to be a nuisance. (don't bother trying to email them as they will never respond.....I was lucky if they answered the phone) Phone messages won't be returned either so I kept calling until I finally got a person) Originally she told me that funds would be deducted once the stocks are shipped. NOT true! That story changed to funds were deducted once they did the inletting! She also told me that there would be a delay for the special inletting! Really? I guess I wasn't aware that a Ruger 10/22 was considered "special"! Is there a gun out there any more common than a Ruger 10/22?? Stocks were shipped about a month later. I guess now that this has turned into a Richards Rant...I might as well continue. Upon opening my box I did find 2 stocks...they were correct and the right colors. I knew they were going to be rough...I knew that going in....and they were. I read somewhere else where they made the comment as to the work being done by a drunken beaver!!! Not too far from the truth. I started work on the 10/22 stock first. I am retired now so I have a lot of free time. It is a good thing because I needed it. After a solid week of grinding & sanding I was ready for the finish. There were some deep gouges and pits that needed to be filled but the end result was fine and I am sure my sister will love it. All in all, the wood was pretty nice laminate!! I took a couple days off at this point to let the soreness in my arm and shoulder recover from all the sanding then started on the stock for the Savage. OMG!! This stock was absolutely horrible. I should have returned it but the stubborness in me wouldn't allow it. I didn't want to wait another 1/4 - 1/2 a year for a replacement. I have done a lot of stocks over the years so I felt I could make it work. After finally getting the action to fit in the stock I was shocked. Now I know they are heavy on the wood ie. cheek weld etc so a lot must be removed. The inletting was still WAY too high and WAY to far forward. I had about 1/4" of trigger showing....and I could barely reach it with my finger. I will have to rechannel the top and try to drop the action. I can't remove much from the bottom as there is only about 1/8" wood for the action screws! I will have to add pillars as I don't trust that. I will have to remove a lot from the back of the grip as that is my only option as far as being able to reach the trigger. My finger isn't going to grown any longer!! Grrrrrrrrr......I will continue to tinker as this is a work in progress...and not a real fun one either. I should have talked my sister into going with a Boyds as I have NEVER had a problem with any of there stocks. Richards does have quite a vartiety and good prices so it is attractive to say the least. For me....my lesson has been learned! If you can make it work...you will end up with a pretty decent looking stock as they do have good wood. It is too bad they are so difficult to work with as their customer service is VERY poor. If you choose to order a Richards stock you will need the following:
1. Refresher course in Anger Management
2. Patience....a lot of it!
3. Brush up on your Master Craftsman wood working skills, you will need them.
4. Wood working tools: Router, sander, chissels, dremmel.
5. 45 pkgs of sandpaper starting with 60 grit.
6. Willingness to accept a challenge!

If you search long enough you can find a favorable review as I have read where some have had good results. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. Would I order from them again? NEVER, EVER, EVER!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0208.JPG (158.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.JPG (155.9 KB, 222 views)
Old 12-29-2019, 06:33 PM
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Oh my!
Old 12-30-2019, 01:21 AM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting. I ordered a Richards stock for a 300 WSM build and didn't have nearly that much problem getting it ready to finish after my 'smith finished the rest of the build. Bedding was not a problem; he just routed out the inletting a bit and pillar and glass bedded the whole thing, so admittedly, I didn't have to contend with any of the really high skill stuff, only final exterior shaping and sanding. My feeling was that what I got was just as they advertised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 08:21 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My "Wolverine" came out great but I built the blank out of exotic woods.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am glad to see that some of you have had better results than I did. RCP-that is a beautiful stock!! For some unknown reason it seems that a lot of complaints are from Savage owners. There are obviously some issues there, as there are many negative reviews. I decided to take my chances, and I guess I am paying the price. As I said previously...big lesson learned. I really didn't have a lot of problems with the finish work for the Ruger stock. Things went pretty well. Big problems surfaced when it came to the Savage stock. I don't have a problem with shaping, sanding or any external work. I don't have a problem with minor "inlet" finish work either. It was very rough and I expected it to be. I knew that going in. What I have problem with is the fact that the entire inlet work is set about 3/4" too far forward. There isn't enough wiggle room to fix that easily. It is so far off that it should have been obvious. I should have returned the stock but my "I can fix it" attitude surfaced and now I must make the best of it. That is on me, as my patience had expired and I certainly did not want to start all over again. Overal, my experience with Richards was NOT good from start to finish. Very little of what was advertised or told to me via phone was truthful, and I have a problem with that. Again, lesson learned. I'm glad to see that some of you have had better luck than I did. I guess if I can not repair the Savage stock it wil be a very expensive log on the fire!!!
Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks..I now have a case of purple envy

that stock puts my purple Compact builds to shame

you should post your pics of that one here
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...e+mafia&page=9
Old 12-30-2019, 01:31 PM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did a benchrest 10-22 build on one of his stocks. The in letting wasn't to bad once I matched the top cuts to the bottom cuts. My guess is the master is wore out or his cutters if not the duplicator it self.
The out side was a different story. The guide bag guide rail was 3/8" longer on one side than the other. I had to cut the front to remove the impression from the center that holds the stock in the machine. The butt was shaped with a rotary rasp 16 hours of sanding with 40 grit paper to remove most of the rasp marks. The laminate is nice the shaping is garbage.
Next build I will purchase from some one that takes pride in there work.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one several years ago. I still regret it. Yíall have covered the reasons.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
thanks..I now have a case of purple envy

that stock puts my purple Compact builds to shame

you should post your pics of that one here
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...e+mafia&page=9
Thanks for the compliment but it certainly does NOT put yours to shame! I really like your stock. The purple is a little more subtle...not quite so "overkill"! I like it a lot! Funny thing with mine is that in the sun as in the bottom photo...it is very purple....on an overcast day it appears more blue? Go figure!!
Old 12-30-2019, 03:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, it wouldn't let me post more photos. Oh well..but light sure affects the color.....under LED lights the stock is totally blue!!!
Old 12-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
I am just asking for clarification. Is this the "RICHARDS MICROFIT STOCKS, INC"

you are talking about??
Old 12-30-2019, 07:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it is!
Old 12-30-2019, 07:13 PM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
I am just asking for clarification. Is this the "RICHARDS MICROFIT STOCKS, INC"

you are talking about??
Yup
Old 12-31-2019, 12:30 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Iím working on the finish on a Richards stock now. Was what I expected from them. Pretty rough and the inlet wasnít completed either. Had to set it up in the mill and make several cuts that were missing. Also the forend tip was CRACKED. The wood was their exhibition grade walnut. Actually a good looking piece. If the wood had not been so nice, I wouldíve sent it back to the customer. Itíll turn out really nice when I complete it. I will post pics upon completion. Just be aware that a good price isnít always so good in the end. With these folks, what youíll get can be a real roll of the dice.