Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

BradH said:

"S&W lore has it that the M41s were put together frame to finish by one individual, back in the 'old days' anyway, before CNC, laser engraving and MIM parts."

It is no lore! Some years back a Shotgun News writer visited S&W specifically to see the Model 41 assembly procedures. He found the above to be true and chronicled it in his article. One person built the gun, adjusted the gun, followed it through test firing, and fixed any quality issues before the gun was release to shipping. This article was probably in the 1990's (?? Sorry don't remember when I read the article).

I bought my Model 41 in September of 1993. It has laser etched serial numbers. The fit and finish is excellent. The only problem the gun has had is a stiff acting safety bettered by some judicious polishing of detents. I have no idea if the gun was CNC made or forging or ???. It worked out of the box whereas newer ones apparently don't always. Must be some differences somewhere?? The Performance Shop versions are only a few years old and several posters here have had serious problems with them. That is unacceptable for a gun close to $1500.

LDBennett
Old 12-18-2019, 11:50 PM
BradH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
Brad:

Go to Rimfire Central.

Navigate to the Smith and Wesson Model 41 sub forum.

Click on the first sticky, Instructions on Model 41 disassembly and reassembly.

For additional information go to You Tube, search for Model 41, there are a bazillion of em.

Crankster
Unfortunately, the links in the sticky no longer work, and I have searched YouTube and have not been able to find anything on the disassembly of anything model 41 related except a basic field strip and the bolt disassembly.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brad. Sure you’ve seen the CCI SV tread. Have you had a chance to try SK as Wetdog1911 suggested? SK lube is definitely slippery.

Any good smiths in your area? I’m leery of going past field stripping.

Clark has a service for 41’s. $250.00 https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmith...lity-packages/

Last edited by Cattleman30; 12-19-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Add price
Old 12-19-2019, 10:12 PM
BradH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cattleman,

The short answer is that I have not yet tried the SK ammunition yet.

The long answer is that it is very difficult for me to get ammunition in small quantities. I live in California and this wonderful lady named Camila Harris put through some legislation that requires a FFL transfer to sell ammunition to California residents. Yes, buying ammunition in California is just as complicated as buying a gun. As part of that legislation internet sales are banned, all transactions need to take place face to face. I live in a rural area that has very a very limited amount of gun shops and the ones that we do have do not stock target ammunition.

Now, I am an FFL03 so I am exempt from that legislation, but most online vendors do not want to deal with the complex California laws, so they just don’t sell to Californians. There are a handful that I am able to buy from, but most of those are only practical to buy from in the case quantity. Brownells will sell to me and they are very reasonable for both case quantity and small quantity, but they have been out of SK ammunition for quite some time. So I am planning on trying it as soon as I can get some.

I have reviewed the Clark web page and am considering this option.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:59 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brad

Have you thought about using a similar lube to what's on the SK?

Something like Bore Butter or BP lubes for lead bullets? IIRC, I used a 50/50 (or so), blend of beeswax and pure mink oil. This was also 25+ years ago and memory is spotty, but it was some slick greasy stuff. Now, it's easy to find, premade and in small amounts. .22 SV and black powder cartridge are similar in both velocities and bullet composition.

Something to play around with, lube the bore every now and then and see if the results are different. I bet you see an improvement.

Wet
Old 12-26-2019, 07:46 PM
meterman1988

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a used 41 with one original mag, it worked great, then I bought two more S&W mags for spares. Then the usual trouble began, until I noticed the original mag spring was softer, so I took the old mag spring out laid it next to the new mag spring, and the new mag spring was longer. I cut the new mag spring to the same length and now it works fine, along with clean gun and the ammo it likes. Might be worth a try.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:58 PM
BradH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted to follow up on this thread. I did one last thing and now I think that I have the gun working properly.

After my last cleaning I put my bore scope in the chamber and noticed that the chamber was a little rough. It did not have the damage that my first barrel had but it did have some rough spots. So I decided to polish the chamber.

After polishing the chamber I took it out and shot ~200 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity through it without an issue.

So to recap:

The original barrel had deep gouges in the chamber, it was sent back to Smith and Wesson and replaced.

The extractor was not fitted properly, I replaced it with a Volquertsen extractor

I tried several recoil springs finally settling on the 6 pound recoil spring

Then I polished the chamber.

Now I think that I have a gun that will shoot fairly reliably. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:16 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What a great story...NOT!!!!

BradH paid over $1000 (I assume?) and got a new gun that would not feed ammo and had a screwed up barrel chamber. Is this S&W quality today? Others that report here have similar stories. The best one about their service was a poster complained to them about a new magazine that would not go into his gun. Their professional service rep told him to squeeze it in a vice as that is what they do? What? Ttheir quality control is so bad that they can't even verify their magazines before they sell them and suggest the ham fisted operation of squeezing them in a vice?

I am glad the BradH got the gun fixed by doing the work himself. Good job, BradH!

Today's S&W sucks!! Sorry, you S&W lovers (from a former S&W lover!).

LDBennett
Old 12-29-2019, 07:50 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post

BradH paid over $1000 (I assume?) and got a new gun that would not feed ammo and had a screwed up barrel chamber. Is this S&W quality today? Others that report here have similar stories. The best one about their service was a poster complained to them about a new magazine that would not go into his gun. Their professional service rep told him to squeeze it in a vice as that is what they do? What? Ttheir quality control is so bad that they can't even verify their magazines before they sell them and suggest the ham fisted operation of squeezing them in a vice?

I am glad the BradH got the gun fixed by doing the work himself. Good job, BradH!

LDBennett
Good Morning LD:

I have to agree that SW service has gone downhill.

It is so painful to watch a former great company that offered great products decay into a shadow of the former organization.

I hope that they can continue to put out the plastic sheilds and make a profit, certainly are generating new customers with their model 41 production.

Question, what would be their flagship model today?

Interesting question, think I might ask it over on the Smith and Wesson forums.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 12-30-2019, 11:37 AM
BradH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post

LDBennett
LDBennett,

I was not able to find it anywhere locally and my FFL was unable to order one due to availability (It appears that they are all on Gunbroker) So I had to buy the gun from Gunbroker and then pay the associated transfer fees with my FFL.

Model 41 = $1,287.49
Transfer, DROS, & Tax = $260.00
$1,547.49 for my Model 41
Springs and Ejector = $36.50
Total = $1,583.99

Not to mention the amount of ammunition that I put through it trying to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

I could have bought a Ruger MK, a Buckmark, and probably something else for that price…

I love my Smith and Wesson Revolvers, but they are from another time and I don't think that we will see quality like that anytime soon. It is unfortunate.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:44 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have two new model 41 standard and pc model the pc has run flawlessly out of box the standard model had two issues slide stop and safety lever I fixed that and it run flawlessly now . I just got two high standards for less than the price of one 41. High standards have better triggers out of box and both are reliable . But I would still buy another 41 but not new !
Old 12-31-2019, 06:44 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my several Hi Std's and think them excellent target pistols with a trigger to kill for and outstanding accuracy. I also like my early 1990's Model 41 but the Hi Std's perform better in my hands.

But Hi Std's are relatively high maintenance guns that have a few requirement to avoid the famous frame crack. If you don't follow the rules then you get the consequences. You must change out the recoil spring every 10 to 15 thousand rounds and only use a Standard Velocity ammo. The magazine lips MAY require tuning to get reliable operation of the gun. The Model 41 has no such requirements and can shoot any ammo that fully cycles it if you put a buffer in it. Earlier Model 41's are a better choice than new ones based on all the problems revealed here over the last few years. There is minimal service for old Hi Std pistols (interarmstx.com. Alan Aronstein) whereas there are many Model 41 specific gunsmith in the USA.

Forgetting all the above, either a Hi Std or the Model 41 are excellent target guns which might possibly increase you shooting skills.

LDBennett
Old 12-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree with LD they both are excellent target guns and have that old school look quality