Herbert Schmidt Sierra Six revolver - Opinions please - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:41 PM
gunsrfun1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Herbert Schmidt Sierra Six revolver - Opinions please

Guy wants to sell me one. It has the faux stag grips, both cylinders, in original box with original manual. He says it's unfired (don't they all.)
Appears in good shape and lockup seems fine.
He wants $150 (plus FFL transfer fees). That strikes me as a bit high for a "no-name" gun, especially since if anything ever breaks I'll have a paperweight. But maybe I am wrong.
I've searched the web and found very little on this gun (including one older post on RFC). Not even sure when they were made and imported.
Anything particularly good or bad about these, and is his price fair?
Thanks
Old 12-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a small frame 22 SA imported from Germany. I've read they are the same as the FIE Texas Ranger, Hawes 22 and Liberty 22. Zamak frame with steel barrel. They don't have that funky safety like others but I don't remember how many clicks the action had. I looked at a NIB nickle with wood grips and both cyls at a gun show 2 yrs ago. The seller wouldn't budge off $300 so I passed. I'd give $150 + fees any day for a blue one in near new condition. I doubt you will need parts for a long time but they are probably going to be found somewhere.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:00 PM
gunsrfun1

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Thanks, very useful info. And the gun he has for sale has three clicks to the hammer, I believe: "safety cock," loading cock (cylinder rotates freely), and full cock.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 03:49 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zamac frame? Not for me. Look around for an Uberti, you'll get a forged steel frame, all proper steel parts. It'll cost more but you will enjoy the quality long after the sting of the price is forgotten.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Schmidt_Ostheim
Old 12-29-2019, 06:41 PM
Slowalkintexan

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rhône,,,Germany

I see they were made in the same town as the well-known Rhone handguns....wonder if there is or was a connection...?
Old 12-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowalkintexan View Post
I see they were made in the same town as the well-known Rhone handguns....wonder if there is or was a connection...?
Are you referring to Roehm? Sontheim and Ostheim are about a hundred miles apart and in different states.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's also a Rohm GMBH Sontheim/Brz that looks like the Schmidt. The only visual difference I see is the trigger guard, which can be changed by removing two screws. I bought one new around 1980 and have 1000s of high vel and mag rds through it. No problem with the zamak or anything else. The top strap is starting to show a fllash cut but not much...even my two vintage S&W 32 Long steel frames are showing a flash cut there from decades of shooting. If zamak frames were as bad as the hype I think there would be a lot of documented injuries...which don't seem to exist. Wear on internal parts are the norm. I own much better guns but this el cheapo goes to the range often and is fun to shoot. It's a cheap plinker. Enjoy it for what it is.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:46 AM
1911CCW

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
About ten years ago I inherited a Herbert Schmidt small frame buffalo .22 long rifle only revolver. It has the black buffalo plastic grips on it. When I got it I noticed that it had lots of firing pin strikes around the cylinder indicating that it had a timing problem. The cylinder would not stay indexed as the hammer dropped and would rotate backwards about halfway. I ended up replacing the bolt spring and bolt, then the mainspring. Between those two fixes it seemed to have worked. My particular H.S. revolver was manufactured in 1957. There is a date stamp on the left side of the frame with the year it was manufactured. Mine had a "57" inside the shield meaning it is a 1957 model. Yes the frame is made of either zamak or aluminum. No it is not a collector piece that will hold its value. I will shoot it once or twice a year just for nostalgia purposes. The back story on my particular revolver is that it came from my mom's uncle, father of her cousin. He would take all of the kids to his cabin in the mountains (California) and teach them all how to shoot. The Herbert Schmidt buffalo revolver was the one he taught all of them to shoot on. Now I have it, fixed it so it works right, and will keep it in the family as an heirloom. It is a fun little revolver. Parts can be found on Numrich gun parts. Hope that helps anybody out with info.