Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:53 AM
jacksimonton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I have hearing loss and use walker game ears, electronic muffs. I dont use plugs.The muffs are a nice little luxury, even if you dont need them. I dont need 90% of my sporting gear. These are pretty high up on my list of things I dont want to be without. Unfortunately, I am one of those who can use them like a hearing aid when a cease fire is called.

AFAIK, my muffs are not noise cancelling. That would be the best. They work like regular muffs to gun fire noise. For low volume or low frequency noise they have a microphone and amplifier to boost the signal to the ear. Each ear has a volume control. True noise cancelling would be better. I would be open to recommendations for a good hi-tech cancelling muffs.

I forgot to mention, if you hunt with these you can pickup game sounds that no human hearing level could detect. That is why the name "Game Ears". If they sold a "Game Nose" we would all be super hunters!
I read your input more than five times mainly the last paragraphaph. I love your thoughts and suggestion.
Thanks a lot for your beautiful response.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:55 AM
jacksimonton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
The best and cheapest one.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:22 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I keep a pair of the Leight Impact low profile e-muffs in the headboard next to the container with my home defense pistol. Change out the batteries every six months to keep them fresh and free of possible corrosion.

At the range I go with two options. If it's just me and I'm shooting .22 I use the Walker Razor XV electronic buds that fit on your neck. If anyone is shooting centerfire I go with foam plugs that have a 32db NRR rating. Then if someone is using a muzzle brake nearby I'll add some passive muffs over those. Can't hear anything but my own heartbeat then so one has to be very visually aware of what's going on.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:37 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
When at the range, there is no telling what level of noise you will be subjected to. The cold hard facts are all about the numbers (dB) for protection - your hearing. My suggestion using the plugs and the muffs combined gives you 61dB of protection. I guess it's all about how much you value your hearing. Do you want to look cool, be comfortable, or do you want to hear it thunder? With the combination of the plugs and muffs, I haven't seen anything yet that even compares, well......at least for now. Always looking for better protection for my hearing. Use it, or lose it. Later Gator...... AH
Old 12-20-2019, 10:25 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What ever system you use keep a watch out for what parks next to you. Some clueless or obnoxious shooter with a 300 WM and a muzzle brake may move in on you. And no they wont put up a blast shield. The blast can go behind your eye protection so pay attention. I know this from experience.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:56 AM
jacksimonton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here I would like to share a link https://www.bigearinc.com/product/el...ing-protection which I found out on google and hope to get some beautiful suggestions about them.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eye & hearing protection is mandatory in my club,

Alas too late for me as I have NIHL from years of service shooting and mortar/arty fire. Back in the good old days we were not issued with anything, chaps would use cotton wool if available and bits of four by two, we then got plugs which were useless; later on we got much better plugs and basic muffs which were ok for SA but useless for cannon/mortar/arty fire.

Good quality plugs are great, plugs and muffs together come into their own for the heavy stuff but lots of folk donít like using muffs with rifles as they can sit on/hit the stock.

Whatever your choice plugs or muffs, passive or electronic, make sure their rating is suitable for the noise concerned.

Giz
Old 12-21-2019, 06:24 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I normally use a set of Silencio jell earplugs I've had since the mid-70's. They work great. More often then not I'll be shooting a rimfire from a bench at the range and someone will get on a bench next to me to shoot a heavy caliber centerfire. When that happens I'll wear ear muffs over the ear plugs. It's not just the sound I'm trying to suppress but it also the pressure, especially if they are shooting something with a comp.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:02 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
.... plugs and the muffs combined gives you 61dB of protection....
Had to do a little research on this... you apparently can't just add the protection of the plugs and muffs together to get the effective hearing protection. According to this OSHA guideline, you can add 5 to the highest NRR (of the plugs or muffs) to get the effective rating.

So if the plugs have a NRR of 30 and the muffs have a NRR of 25, then the combined NRR is about 35.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:52 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
When you add the plugs and muffs together, I really believe it adds more than 5 to the protection. With just the plugs, I can hear voice commands. With both, they need to tap me on the shoulder. Yep, even whistling / group shouting doesn't work. I believe I'll call them out on this one. I'm taking the 50% correction factor, and running out for a long one.

Last edited by ammohog; 12-21-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Bigdog357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Huh, What,

Yes, I use both muff and plugs when shooting the big calibers. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. I also hunt with protection on now. I have the dreaded constant ringing in my ears