77/22 octagon Green Mountain barrel? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I went through many of the steps here on my own rifle, bedding and more.
The headspace and general looseness was perhaps more then most others I have seen. Ruger is an industry leader when it comes to casting steel, they do alot of industrial cast steel parts. I find it difficult to tell at times if a surface was machined, or if the machine marks were impressed on the part from the casting die, on Ruger guns, I would not be surprised iif the firing pin is a casting.
I have a lathe, so I shortened the chamber, and legthened the tang to take up the slop and help get the correct headspace. I also worked the face of the bolt a little in a mill. The bolt locks up without binding, and has no shake.
The final problem I had discovered was the fit of the barrel in the reciever, the hole in the receiver was not precision, and the barrel tang was a couple of thousandths larger on the end. The barrel tang and receiver were tight, but, when assembled with the wedge and screws, the barrel when moved back and forth would make a "bink" noise.
I believe bad bearing surface of the barrel and reciever was causing stringing of the shots. I read here about using green locktite instead of the screws and wedge to retain the barrel. I tried that with great success.
Anther area that took some time to get sorted was, the pressure pad for the barrel at the end of the stock, I free floated the stock with sights barrel, but found it needed the pressure point to get groups. Another small compound problem because my stock changes some going from humid close to sea level oregon to mile high and dry Butte Montana. I came up with a hardwood button for the barrel to rest on, less apt to bind from warp.

The wood button is ebony, but, I think plastic would work, I sunk a 1/2" router bit into the stock for the support button, I used shims under it to get the right pressure. The stock is a pretty straight grained piece of walnut, but, the forearm has move toward the left in 30yrs, and will move a little more in certain conditions.

Last edited by donie; 06-16-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:12 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
Middletown CT, Earth, 1st door on the right
TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
Wow... Firing pin manufactured by investment casting is something I never thought of but it does make sense upon examining it, thanks... Not something a copy cat will try since there is no great sales numbers even if cast in China....
Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think Ruger is so into their casting processes, that it must seem like a train wreck to actually have to machine something.
From my own very limited observations, Ruger could give the workers something better then a bench grinder for fitting small parts

Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 AM
CPC
RFC Sponsor
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
Middletown CT, Earth, 1st door on the right
TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
Hehaa... Yes I noticed their crude de-burring and hand fitting ect...
Refusal to fix errors and continue bad processes... I see a bad mfg process that cost them money that has continued for 55 years and will continue forever....