Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

5mm Rem mag

541 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  centershot243 
#1 ·
I made a trip last week 6 days long looking at pawn shops etc. for rifles and heard talk that Savage is thinking of chambering some rifles in this round,anyone here heard same.

#2 ·
I haven't heard any rumors to that effect, but I think it would be a great idea. The 5mm deserves to be a lot more popular, but it was hamstrung from the start by very limited available chamberings.
It offers good ballistic performance with potentially "flatter" trajectory than the .22 WMR and better bullet performance than the .17s. Hopefully Hornady or some other manufacturer will come out with some good ammo for it.

#3 ·
If some manufacturer would come out with good ammo for this round I also think there would be much interest in cartridge. Someone would need to make guns available also but 20 caliber isn't something new to shooters now. When this round came out little was known about it or 20 caliber performance. When everyone didn't on the bandwagon immediately Remington quickly abandoned the round. Really smart marketing don't you think, but water under the bridge. I likewise would like to see a rebirth.

John

#6 ·
Back around 1970 or thereabouts I had an original Remington 5mm magnum. It was DEATH on the local woodchuck and crow population! LOL! It was fun to shoot, accurate and IIRC it was selling for around $5 per box of fifty rounds. It was in the Remington 580 series of rifles, nice gun with an adult-sized stock. It would be GREAT to see someone bring this one back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.