Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New 10/22s: Junk?

14K views 66 replies 43 participants last post by  Toomany22s 
#1 ·
Guys how are the new Ruger 10/22s? Are they a junk gun cheapened out, or reliable and dependable? As accurate as they used to be? Looking to buy a wooden stock carbine model from Wal-Mart. Thoughts?

#4 · (Edited)
You, the buyer, set the price point.

You, want the least expensive rifle you can get.

Ruger delivered. What is your problem??:rolleyes:

The Ruger 10/22 was first available in 1964 for $49.95..........

When adjusted for inflation the would be today: $414.06

Stop asking what happened to quality............... YOU are not willing to spend $414.06 plus tax for any 10/22 today.

#6 ·
You, the buyer, set the price point.

You, want the least expensive rifle you can get.

Ruger delivered. What is your problem??:rolleyes:
No lookee here, buddy boy!! I didn't set no price point no how!!! :mad:

:)

Seriously, I PERSONALLY would not mind spending 3-400 on one, even the base model beech stock carbine, IF they could match the quality of the 70s guns. But I do completely understand. Stupid ******** who don't understand manufacturing a quality long lasting product only wanted to expect the lowest price possible so they could afford more cartons of Pall-Malls and cases of Milwaukee's Worst. Seems Ruger may have had to cheapen out to keep up with their wants.

Sad!

#5 ·
Plastic trigger housing and barrel band verses aluminum. Hardwood verses walnut stock. Barrel and receiver look the same as they did 30 years ago other than the polish job on the barrel. The bolt doesn't look as nice as it did in older guns but works just fine.
As far as dependably and accuracy I see no change.

#7 ·
I have 3 of the "new" 10/22s. All three are more accurate than the 2 I had that were "old" 10/22s with the aluminum trigger guard and bbl band. 2 of the 3 "new" ones came with beech or birch stocks exactly like the 2 "old ones". Third New one is a Deluxe Sporter(it has a nice Walnut rifle stock) and it's very pretty. None of the 5 had good triggers, Ruger don't do good triggers as a rule. On another note for about 60.00 you can get a BX trigger from Ruger, Mine is about 2-1/4#, put it in the Sporter.
This is just my experience with 10/22s. If you shop gun shows and the internet you can still get walnut carbine stocks, I got one at a gun show and one off ebay. Refinish and you got pretty rifles.
Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

#9 ·
new 10/22 is excellent .22 rifle

I have 2 , both are great basic rifle. around 200. , cant be beat in my opinion. yes, I have done some mods to both of mine to make them more fun, but the base rifle is still very good. the new poly BX triggers are sweet.

#11 · (Edited)
The new "basic" 10/22 I got at Cabelas a few weeks ago is ncer all around that a same basic 10/22 I got a couple years ago.

Are they junk? No.

Can you make a plain jane 10/22 better with aftermarket parts? Yes.

Can you spend a lot more $$ on a 10/22 clone from another manufacturer? Absolutely.

#42 · (Edited)
I bought a 10/22 takedown heavy barrel, shot well, but had lots of feeding problems from 10, 15, and 25rd mags. probably should have sent it in at that point. However, I didn't. Next time at range I had an open bolt discharge and I shoot left-handed, lots of smoke, lots of crap hit me in face but I wasn't hurt. Two hotties on next lane gave me WTH look, now that hurt. I sent it back to Ruger with cartridge still wedged halfway in chamber. Ruger sent me a brand new rifle. Haven't shot it yet.

#15 ·
I just bought a Compact Youth and was surprised by the external fit and finish. Even the trigger was better than some, but not even close to a Kidd. I already had a spare Kidd single stage on hand, so I swapped trigger group out. Mounted a compact Leupold 2-7x28 and a Caldwell bipod, and went to the range. At 25 yards with CCI SV, i got several 5-shot groups with all touching. That's with no cleaning, polishing, Scotchbrite, nuttin'. I was surprised and very pleased. YMMV.

#18 ·
Someone’s just unhappy today with the way the world turned out for them. And so is looking back thru distorted memories of their halcyon days.

The 1970s sucked! I remember , I was there. Sure I had a good time, but imho almost everything today is better than it was then. Computer, car, TV, tools, guns, food, etc just not me:eek:

#19 ·
Stock, the Marlin 60 is better and cheaper... but it's not a 10/22... and isn't as easily cleaned, disassembled and modified.

If you want a quality 10/22... and want a blueprinted, accurized, fully improved gun that you WISH Ruger would have built... send it to Randy at CPC. If I already had one or more 10/22's, and had the itch for another one, I would just take one of my existing guns, box it up, and SEND IT IN! You'll have a blueprinted gun that is guaranteed to shoot and function better than a brand new one. If you want to go nuts, send it in with an aftermarket barrel. Best money you will ever spend on a 10/22. Absolutely the biggest bang for the buck in the entire world of gunsmithing.

I've sent all six of my guns his way... Well worth it.

http://ct-precision.com/

Good Luck

#20 ·
I think people tend to paint the past in gold. Ruger's current manufacturing methods are cheaper, faster, more consistent, and attain tighter tolerances. This means less human fitting is required, which means less variance from rifle to rifle. However, one area that has consistently sucked on the modern 10/22's is the factory trigger. This is likely by design for legal reasons. Thankfully, the aftermarket support is vast.

#26 ·
Just bought a brand new 10-22 carbine from Walmart this past Friday. Took it to the range that afternoon. From 25 yards to 100 yards was able to hit everything my old eyes could see. Wasn't trying for groups. 2" gong at 25 yards and a 4 inch gong at 50 and 100. I'm pretty sure when I missed it was me. Used the stock iron sights. Yesterday I put an old 4x32 scope on it. After sighting it in, had 10 shots inside a 1' bull at 25 yards. Can't say if this is any better or worse than older rifles as this is the first 10-22 I've owned. But it's good enough for the girls I go out with.

#27 · (Edited)
That is pretty much the point, isnt it; ie, good enough for whachawannado. The OP didnt specify and we have no idea of what expectations, real or not, are being made.
As always, the only way yer gonna tell if the gun And the ammo used in it will serve Your purpose(s) is to try one.
Ive found it to be a personal preference thing, just like in a mate or a kayak paddle.

#29 ·
So if I get one, instead of getting a friggin $60 BX trigger, seems y’all are talkin at me to send it to Randy at CPC for a trigger that’s even better?

My uses would be plinking and squirreling and bunnying. Could Randy set it up appropriate for that? I can’t STAND a creepy gritty trigger and I’ve read the BX trigger is lighter but still has some creep.

Other than that I want to keep the gun stock. I have a soft spot for the wood carbines as that was my dad’s gun growing up and boy I loved the hell out of it. Other than that I want a Leupold 4x28mm rimfire scope and a leather sling, just like dad’s gun. I’ll probably even fit an old flush mag release on it as it looks and feels great with the 10 round rotary mags that I prefer.

What I don’t want or need is a bunch of navy SEAL wannabe tacticool stuff. Great if you love it, I think it’s ridiculous. I just want a more or less stock classic style 10/22 carbine with a good scope, a good trigger, and a chunk of cow hide dangling from it. :)

#31 ·
So if I get one, instead of getting a friggin $60 BX trigger, seems y'all are talkin at me to send it to Randy at CPC for a trigger that's even better?

My uses would be plinking and squirreling and bunnying. Could Randy set it up appropriate for that? I can't STAND a creepy gritty trigger and I've read the BX trigger is lighter but still has some creep.

Other than that I want to keep the gun stock. I have a soft spot for the wood carbines as that was my dad's gun growing up and boy I loved the hell out of it. Other than that I want a Leupold 4x28mm rimfire scope and a leather sling, just like dad's gun. I'll probably even fit an old flush mag release on it as it looks and feels great with the 10 round rotary mags that I prefer.

What I don't want or need is a bunch of navy SEAL wannabe tacticool stuff. Great if you love it, I think it's ridiculous. I just want a more or less stock classic style 10/22 carbine with a good scope, a good trigger, and a chunk of cow hide dangling from it. :)
Send the entire gun (minus the stock) to Randy at CPC. He will work it over, and you will end up with a gun that looks stock, but shoots and functions far better than it ever did straight from the factory. He blueprints everything by squaring the barrel to the receiver, squaring the bolt to the barrel, doing a full bolt job, accurizing the barrel with crowning re-chambering and lapping, working over the trigger, nylon buffer, oversize receiver and trigger pins, and will drill a cleaning hold in the rear of the receiver for free if requested. Add $10 for a custom fitted hardened/sharpened extractor. He also Jewels the side of the bolt, but if you tell him not to, he won't. ALL for around $200... which is the best deal BY FAR in the entire world of gunsmithing.

I have one that looks stock, and shoots like a competition rifle. No squirrel is safe! lol

http://ct-precision.com/

#34 ·
One thing I do NOT see written here about the poly trigger groups, there's no need to ever refinish them because there's no finish to wear off. That is a solid plus in my book.

That said, I've never owned a poly trigger group. The half-dozen or so 10/22s I've owned over the years have all had aluminum trigger groups, and yes, you can wear that anodizing off and they look pretty shabby afterwards. I've only bought two of the 10/22s new, the others were used.

#37 ·
Don't know if I would say junk, but just spent a LOT of money on a custom shop 1022 and it's going back. Jams a lot on several types of ammo, 4 different mags. Called them to see if this was common and/or if I could fix it myself, and the woman I talked to tersely said " We don't Gunsmith over the phone !" Well kiss my recoil pad....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.