Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Kel Tec CP33

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Wanderson 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with one of the new 33rd KelTec 22lr pistol? I finally got a chance to see/hold one today. It has a better than expected trigger but the grip feels too long front to rear. Just wondered if anyone had shot one of these yet?

#2 ·
I have limited time on one.

TIPS: no one has good instructions on how to load the mag. Even Kel Tec does it utterly wrong...and they invented the darn things.

Best explanation: fight your years of experience. Load each round with the rim only halfway back toward the back of the magazine. The subsequent round that you load? Do the same...only halfway back. As you are putting each subsequent round in the mag, the top round "snaps" the earlier round into proper position. This is the ONLY way I have found to get the bullets to "stack" in the mag correctly.

Next: only load fifteen rounds in the mag the first few times....then 20, then 25, etc, until it breaks in.

40 grain HV ammo ONLY. If you try something like Stingers you will jam that mag up something fierce.

Clean and oil the gun before shooting.

They ARE accurate.....

If you load the mag correctly (good luck....it can be done) the gun will bobble at first but then start to run really well. The more you shoot it, the better it seems to run.

My assessment is that these are strictly and only novelty items. Toys. They are NOT serious firearms....but they CAN be fun!

#3 ·
I have about 1500 rounds through one now and a couple steel matches. I'm running it with a Holosun red dot on the rail.
You do have to take care with loading the magazines but it's not rocket science and they're clear so you can inspect the loaded mag and make sure it's right. I have used CCI Mimi-Mags 40gr and a lot of Federal bulk 36gr HP as well as Automatch.
Had a couple hangups from the first mag but more than 1,500 since with no misfeeds (I did have a couple duds with the bulk federals). Most reliable rimfire pistol I've bought in a while. I fought with my former match gun (Ruger Lite Mk3) for a couple months adding maybe $100 worth of VQ parts until it got to running well.
Accuracy is fine, way better than I need for a steel match, seems to like to group Automatch best so far.
I added Tandemkross's grip panels and I like the feel better.

YMMV

Lonehunter

#4 ·
I've had mine for a couple of months, and LOVE it. My mags (total of 4) worked perfect with 33rds from the first loading. I've had a couple of mags that I loaded incorrectly, but now I just check every few rounds while I am loading, and they run perfectly. Like previous posts, it isn't rocket science, but you do have to pay attention to get them loaded correctly. The only hiccups I've had were a few dud rounds out of the many hundreds of rounds I've shot. I've used Winchester M-22 bulk and CCI mini mags without any feeding or ejection issues. The pistol is accurate and fun to shoot. Yes, it looks awkward, but when you are shooting it you don't notice the rear overhang. Great sights, nice trigger, and a lot of shooting out of one mag!

#6 ·
CP33 mag speedloader

I bought one of the American Speedloaders devices and have found it to work well and quickly. I can load a full mag in about 90 seconds from empty to full! I put a Sig Romeo red dot sight on my CP33 and find it quite easy to shoot and stay on target. I am going to use it in a steel plate match this weekend and will report back on results. At the moment, I only have the two mags it came with, but if I can't knock over 20 targets with 66 shots then it doesn't matter anyway! More to follow!

#7 ·
Here's mine.

Added a Nikon Spur and the FarrowTech brace

Suppressor is a Griffin Optimus Micro

I have about 600rds thru it now with only one malfunction. I have a bad batch of Federal and it was a dud.

It chugs through CCI Quiet SemiAuto flawlessly and standard CCI quiet about 90% of the time.

Works with Aguila 60gr sniper well too....

Great gun.....I really like it

Attachments

#12 ·
Here's mine.

Added a Nikon Spur and the FarrowTech brace

Suppressor is a Griffin Optimus Micro

I have about 600rds thru it now with only one malfunction. I have a bad batch of Federal and it was a dud.

It chugs through CCI Quiet SemiAuto flawlessly and standard CCI quiet about 90% of the time.

Works with Aguila 60gr sniper well too....

Great gun.....I really like it
I like the arm brace. Details please. Inquiring minds would like to know.

What did you use to mount the brace on the pistol and how did you do it.

Thanks in advance.

#10 ·
I've seen 3 of these recently at three separate LGSs. All 3 suffered from "how the hell do you get the magazine into the gun without a rubber mallet?" syndrome. :confused:
Felt like I'd break the mag trying to push it in.

One of the LGS employees said they had sold a couple already and they ALL were like this. But no one had brought one back.

Thoughts? I'd like to play with one at some steel screw-around matches here but if I can't push a mag in, not worth the time to fiddle with them. been there, done that.

#13 ·
I just bought one this week and shot it for the first time today. Only got 100 rounds of CCI HV 40gr. down range but no failures at all, ran smooth. I’ve had a PMR & CMR for a while so I’m familiar with loading the mags, without the American Nest loader it’s a chore. VERY surprised at accuracy, this one might give my MK I or HS Sportking a run for their money. With the full top rail mounting an optic is easy. Nice SA pull for an out of the box trigger. 33 rounds goes faster than you think.

Mags are a snug fit, even when full they don’t drop free. And pricey, $50 a pop. Comes with two so at least my $430 pistol came with $100 worth of mags.

Got an order in for the Farrowtech brace with the Tailhook and their angled grip, then I’ll find out what this thing is capable of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.