Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Serious Stevens Gurus...I need to line a No 44 Barrel....reccomendations?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  desertmoon 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have acquired a Stevens No. 44 Ideal in .22 L.R. recently. The roll mark is: "J. Stevens A&T Co." with the Chiccopee Falls address and the additional "boxed X" stamp just before the roll mark. Additionally there is the "0 44" stamped on the front of the frame beneath the fore end wood.

The gun is in very good shape and based on the 6 o'clock extractor and the roll mark, I am GUESSING that it was made sometime between 1898 and 1920. It is likely later but I doubt any earlier than 1898. I lean towards the 1920s. The serial number range is 41XXX.

Besides the fading on most of the color case hardening and a smattering of "Pixie Rust", the only thing that is wrong with this gun is that the bore is gone. I mean trashed. After removing 2 pounds of lead from the bore, I discovered that the pitting is catastrophic, to say the least.

I am shooter and I desire to shoot this gun. I am one of those guys who has learned to ONLY sell a gun you hate....and I adore this thing so it is going nowhere but to the range. The action is incredibly tight, the wood is NOT oil soaked and the gun has a wonderful patina. All I want to do is shoot it.

Which brings me to my question slash request.

I would love to know who you guys use for lining barrels. I'd love any and all recommendations, particularly that group of craftsman that can make liners nearly invisible after installation.

The most critical thing, however, is durability and accuracy.

If you could share your experiences, anecdotes, contacts and recommendations I would most sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you all for your time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your local gun shops can give you recommendations on who they use. I prefer smaller shops, take the time to get to know the people, ask questions, actually buy stuff, ammo etc. Sure, you can go online and save a couple of bucks on ammo but if you don't support the local shops they'll fold, then where are you? There are five shops I frequent, they know me by name, know the sorts of things I'm interested in. One shop has an in-house gunsmith, actually the founder of the shop, his family are employed in the business. Spend your money locally, it's good for your community.

#5 ·
I would do absolutely that but my gunsmith (who is real darn good) specifically said, just go to Redmans and be done with it. I definitely trust his opinion....however, I have heard ( as s mentioned in this very thread) that John Taylor is another pro. He uses hammer forged liners that also have a stellar rep. I have also heard of a shop in PA that is fantastic.

I am really hoping to hear some stories about how happy ( or not ) people are with the performance they get from relining also.

Thank you everyone for contributing. I appreciate it. More info or data is welcome, of course.

#4 · (Edited)
I have acquired a Stevens No. 44 Ideal in .22 L.R. recently.

The roll mark is: "J. Stevens A&T Co." with the Chiccopee Falls address

The gun is in very good shape and based on the 6 o'clock extractor and the roll mark, I am GUESSING that it was made sometime between 1898 and 1920.

It is likely later but I doubt any earlier than 1898.

I lean towards the 1920s. The serial number range is 41XXX.
Stevens used that particular address from 1888 to 1915.

In 1916, the address used was J. Stevens Arms Co (1916-1960)

The Stevens Ideal No. 44 was made from 1896-1933

Stevens production dating is a non-starter, because all the factory records were destroyed in an office fire in 1922 that just happened to occur shortly after the company received a US Gov't subpoena to produce their records for a war crimes investigation (WWI)...…….

John Taylor does an excellent job of re-lining: http://www.johntaylormachine.com/50.0.html

#6 ·
I have a 44 that I had relined 20 years ago. I paid a little more and had it done by a guy that had a good reputation (long gone now). It has turned into one of my very favorite .22s. Accuracy is great after relining. I think for a gun that was like this one where everything was in good shooting condition but the bore, relining is just a great way to go.

Good luck with your project, a model 44 and a brick of ammo makes for a fun and cheap weekend of shooting.

Mine is number 31233, just a bit earlier than yours.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have a 44 that I had relined 20 years ago. I paid a little more and had it done by a guy that had a good reputation (long gone now). It has turned into one of my very favorite .22s. Accuracy is great after relining. I think for a gun that was like this one where everything was in good shooting condition but the bore, relining is just a great way to go.

Good luck with your project, a model 44 and a brick of ammo makes for a fun and cheap weekend of shooting.

Mine is number 31233, just a bit earlier than yours.
That's a good looking gun, Arlon! Mine is almost a twin! Definitely the exact same model.

#12 ·
Thread resurrection. Desertmoon how did this reline project turn out for you? Looking to get a martini mkll relined as I'd like to keep the original barrel with it's markings.
Oh, I totally forgot about this thread!

It turned out FANTASTIC.

If you have ever heard of guys who can make a liner disappear in a barrel, John Taylor is your man.

You L I T E R A L L Y can NOT tell it was lined. Not from the muzzle or the breech. He even mimicked the old tool marks on the breech face.

Gun shoots like a dream. I had one group of 10 Winchester Wildcats ( of all things ) shoot a 1/4 group at 25 yards....WITH THE BUCKHORNS!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.