Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Anyone remember Tony's Powderhorn Barrels?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  desertmoon 
#1 · (Edited)
Back in the 1990s, I ordered a Tony's Powderhorn Barrel from Brownell's. With a host of other parts, I built a very nice shooting 10/22 with that barrel.

For a time, I had lost that gun ( I had sold it to a friend ) but have since regained it.

It's an incredible shooter...have since wanted to know the history of those barrels.

Does anyone know the story behind the Tony's Powderhorn barrels? The internet is VERY scant on information.

Thank you, everyone!!!

#4 ·
"Holy old thread revival, Batman!"

So, this is a project that has been going on since....well, 1995, off and on.

It's back on now!

Just got a Kidd 2 stage trigger ( I have a lot of 2 stage guns...so ) and have a VX Freedom 3 X 9 to replace the old Nikon Prostaff.

Nothing wrong with the pro-staff. I have shot some seriously good groups with it....but the VX has a nicer, thinner reticle that isn't a darned Christmas tree like many modern offerings.

All I need now is a good pic rail and some good (no..excellent) rings.

Table Computer Furniture Computer keyboard Personal computer

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

Cylinder Auto part Bicycle part Metal Pipe

Parallel Circle Symmetry Pattern Drawing

Can't wait to get out with this and start shooting it again. It's been fired maybe twice since 2018 when I retrieved it.

#5 · (Edited)
@midwest swiss

Welp.."done"...for the moment. 10/22s are like Jeeps....they are never really finished.

I used an Outer Impact long rail in case I needed or wanted to move the optic forward a bit. I didn't need to. Warne low rings (steel) and the Leupold VX 3X9 with the holdover stadia on the verticle axis.

Jeez. Nearly THIRTY YEARS in the making.

Table Furniture Air gun Wood Trigger

Air gun Wood Trigger Automotive tire Shotgun

I am so tempted to refinish the stock in some sage green Cerakote and then do the receiver in Elite Black but "Better is the enemy of good enough." and I don't want to mess with a good thing...so it will remain a sleeper. The action on this gun is so darn SMOOTH.

I sure prefer the Leupold optic. The finer cross hairs will really help.

The bore on this thing is like my Anschutz 64MS....you just run a wet patch through it and let it soak and then dry patch, lube patch and dry patch. The bore on this is SQUEAKY clean.