Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Do you have your first build?

4K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  midwest swiss 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first build. Started as my first 1022 Tupperware carbine. I shot that all one summer. And then I watched a YouTube. Didn’t know about Rimfire Central. Bought the parts online and built itfor as cheap as I could. Still has the dovetail rail so bought a one piece mount. Bought the Hogue overmold and the KSA 18 inch Barrel from Buds clearance, and the 10 x 40 Barska from Amazon. Online I found the Hornet Black Max Trigger. Loved that they gave me $30 credit for the old Trigger group . Met my $300 budget! And it shot like a dream come true.

Well today it got a good cleaning, and while I was at it a JWH bolt and handle, and a new buffer. So now I’ve blown my budget!:eek:

#4 ·
Nice rifle. I do have my first build, but it morphed and morphed into an all Kidd rifle over time, LOL

View attachment 187257
Well that's spectacular! But it looks like the only possible piece from the original might possibly be the sling swivel stud .

Someday I hope to have one morphed into a Kidd like yours. It's gotta be a lot of fun to shoot something that beautiful, and precise.

#3 ·
Yeah, got my 1st, 2nd and 3rd build.
But I only started about a year ago.....:rolleyes:

#6 ·
When I first started, PC and Volquartsen (which I couldn't afford) were about the only options. Then I found RFC and began to learn much much more. Kidd was just getting started but there just weren't the options there are now. Fun to think back on all the builds and the progressions.

#9 · (Edited)
Kind of...... my son has it, but it's changed so much since I started it.
He wanted to clone a Barrett .50, so it's unique. Truly a FrankenRuger

PMACA Longnose Kidd Prototype Chassis, inletted for Kidd rear tang.
Custom vented foreend
Mako AR Buttstock w/adjustable comb
1983 Ruger receiver w Kidd rear tang+ Cerakote
20" GM Fluted Taper with Tactical Innovations M22/50 Brake
Kidd silver bolt
Heier Custom Ruger TG w Power Custom internals @ 2.5#
Chaser Prototype "Skullie" mag release.
Kidd CH, pins, buffer
Weaver Classic V24 BallisticX on Leupold QRW rings
Offhand Optic: Ultradot 25

At least my first 10-22- the receiver that started its life with me as a standard carbine that I bought at Service Merchandise in 1983, on sale for $79.99- is still in the family. The previous owner of GM sold me the barrel which he'd hand lapped for a very good customer, who faded away and never bought it.
That 20" GM fluted sporter still keeps up with most of my Kidd barrels, but not my older style thread-in barrel SG, or my Lilja.

I have my 3 best, & my kids have their own customs (mostly Kidd)

DrGunner

#10 ·
My first 10-22 was a beat up walnut DSP. It was gifted me in exchange for some custom machining/gunsmithing I did for a long gone brother in law.
This went through all manner of builds ending up with a Hogue 20" fluted SS barrel, Power Custom trigger components, and several scopes and mounts. Actually, this thing shot as well or better than any .22 I had at the time. (Remington 513T)
That rifle today has morphed into my lightweight build when I discovered this beat up DSP stock was the lightest stock I owned including the Hogue. The action found it's way into my Liberty Training Rifle. This rifle (DSP stock) now contains a new Ruger receiver, all Kidd innards, 1-1/2 lb Kidd single stage trigger and a Kidd ultralight 16" barrel. On top is a Leupold 3-9 X 33 EFR in a Reaper one piece mount. It shoots as well or better than it ever has!
Chris

#11 · (Edited)
Maple with Walnut, I call it the KING.

This is my first one it hasn't changed much, other than the stock it has been in about 30 different stocks all the same shape but all different colors. I built it around 2007, green mountain barrel and had a Kidd two stage 3oz/3oz, the scope is a Hubble sized BSA 8x32x50. I polished it around 2010 and put the factory polished trigger group back on, that I worked on the pull, never measured it but it is pretty lite. This is the stock that it will live in for as long as I have it.

Attachments

#12 ·
Here is the second, I call it Blue Moon.

This is the second one I built. This is the first fiberglass stock I made. It is a factory receiver, Kidd Ultralite barrel, Kidd two-stage 3oz/3oz, and BSA 24x42 scope. It is very lite. It was the first time I tried this style of painting, it is very good on the front half but the back of it gets a little chunky. All in all, I think it turned out pretty good.

Attachments

#13 ·
My first build, was for my wife. She still has it. My second build was my first for me. It was a 21" clark bull barrel. It shot great, hig .2s at 50y bests.. I probably should have kept it, but I was wanting to build my 16" bull barrel rifle, so i sold it. My 3rd build, which was my second for me and first superstock (carbine) with a barrel Que did, I gave to a buddy of mine as a wedding present. He loves it because it is a twin to his dad's 10/22 carbine, which he grew up shooting. All the rest I still have.

#14 ·
I've had a half-dozen 10/22s, but only fooled with this last one, a '73 DSP. It's "built" with a Powers hammer and a GM 20" blued fluted sporter barrel, and I swapped out the swivels with sling studs. That's it, all I require of it, and it's a Goldilocks gun, just right.

Frankly, it's the only 10/22 I thought was worth keeping, except another DSP I had that got stolen. The others didn't cut the mustard.

#17 ·
First Rebuild.............

Still have it after about 35 years! A Winchester 1885 Low Wall with a relined barrel, chambered in .22 magnum. It is fitted with single set trigger parts, a 6-24 x 50 scope and hand carved stocks (by me). I really don't intend on this one going anywhere!
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

The most recent rebuild is a Ruger t0/22 rebuilt into a Thompson SMG clone. This was done using a Scottwerx kit.

Attachments

#18 ·
Yes, I do. My first build is from 1992 (and still have it). It is a DSP with the only changes being a KIDD Two-Stage Trigger replacing the original build's Jewell, and a personalized JWH custom bolt replacing the original build's Ruger bolt. It has a Shilen 18" .920 SS Match barrel (with a fully bedded barrel channel) and wears a Weaver KT-15 scope. It's still one of my most accurate rifles.

Doug

Attachments

#21 ·
I actually lost ( sold it like an idiot ) and then regained my original 1995 build just last year.

I had sold it to my best friend who shot it maybe two or three times....and there it sat while he drank himself to death. Shoot, it took him almost 20 years. I bought it back from the estate after he died.

It's one of the old Volquartsen thumb hole stock in Hunter Green.

I has a nice Tony's Powder Horn fluted barrel. I wish those were still around.

I need to get a good trigger kit and a real fine optic for it. It has a Nikon something or other on it at the moment....but it needs some real glass.

That being said, despite the handicaps....it's a one holer if you do your part.

#22 ·
I wish I did. Mine wasn’t fancy. Stock reciever and bolt, volquartson trigger kit, GM 18” bbl, hogue stock, cheap bipod and a Burris ff2 4-14 scope. It was a freakin shooter for very little money. I can’t even remember why I sold it 10 years or so ago but a buddy of mine had asked a few times and I relented. Wish I’d have kept that one.

#27 ·
I bought my first 10/22 about 32 years ago. I must have set it down somewhere and forgotten about it since... :rolleyes:

About 12 years ago I spent way too much building up a custom 10/22, only to realize it couldn't match the accuracy of my stock Savage MKII. So I sold it. Since then, I've always told people that I'm simply not a fan of Ruger firearms. As proof of that, I think I only have about 8-9 currently. :D

#28 ·
Nope , long gone !
I got the fever three times , where I’d build several, up to 14 at one time .
Twice, I sold them all off and went bolt action only .
This third time , I decided to keep 10 actions , along with several extra barrels and stocks to where I can build any configuration I want .
Love these adult tinker toys . :D
My favorite from years past was a 20” bull barreled Stainless Hogue barreled bench rifle stocked in a Richards stock that took me weeks to finish .
When I got the stock , it looked like an angry beaver carved it . Really rough .
Wish I’d kept that one .

#29 · (Edited)
Yes I still have mine, built in 1995, heavy Douglas barrel, self mod. bolt
Volq. hammer, OEM trigger set up as a set trigger 1lb pull.
The stock is a mod. birch stock set up for bench shooting.

old vintage target was pissed with a poor USBR target and did a 2 mag dump.

There was no KIDD @ the time, rifle is still set up the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.