CMMG conversion kit concerns - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 AM
Frostburg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hi, so I'm in an odd situation. My girlfriend wants a rifle for HD. I keep my standard AR loaded with .223, but she just got an AR that she has equipped with the CMMG .22lr conversion BCG as a back up in a HD situation. She is more comfortable with the muzzle report using that, than .223 or 9mm. Since it's a backup, I'm not super concerned. But I am wondering if this setup, using higher quality ammo such as CCI stingers or mini-mags, would be something you guys would approve as a reliable setup?

I am concerned about reliability ofcourse. But concerns that are not as easily answered are ones about .22lr ammo fouling up the rifle, its gas system, etc. That sounds like it could be a serious problem, and one that could lead to wear and shortened life on parts down the road. Is this the case? How concerned should I be? What kind of solvents would you use to clean this out? I have heard some say to shoot .223/5.56 after a string of .22lr in order to clean it out. Others say don't shoot .223 until you have cleaned out all the .22lr gunk first. Are we causing the rifle any kind of long term damage or wear by using the CMMG BCG kit? Are there any other issues here that we need to consider?

Thanks

Last edited by Frostburg; 02-28-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:51 AM
Frostburg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted to add that the barrel she is using is a high quality 16" Criterion 1/8 twist barrel with mid-length gas. I don't want to ruin this barrel in the long run.

Last edited by Frostburg; 02-28-2021 at 06:32 AM. Reason: adding details
Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No there will be no harm , just be sure to clean the barrel when you want to use the center fire ammo .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2021, 11:41 AM
Gator Monroe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the Idea of a BDM or other small drum when having a female use a reliable 22 AR Pattern weapon for HD . (Her ability to Spray & Pray , put up a wall of lead , offer more lengthy resistance ,...without a mag drop / Top Off / reload is interesting .
Old 02-28-2021, 12:36 PM
Frostburg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by izhm View Post
No there will be no harm , just be sure to clean the barrel when you want to use the center fire ammo .
Okay, so then should I not fire off a few .223 rounds after a string .22lr, in order to "blow the gunk out?"
Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
when I was using a conversion kit I always ran one mag of 5.56/223 through the rifle when I was done with 22lr. and don't quote me on it but I believe that is recommended to do. and no you won't hurt that barrel especially if it is one of their chrome-lined barrels. I love my criterion barrels, I have two of them.

personally, if she is more comfortable with 22lr I would look into building a dedicated upper. you can use the adapter kit and only need a barrel and a new collar for the adaptor kit. that's what I did with my kit when I got tired of cleaning bits of lead out of my upper.

and I would also agree with Gator and look into a black dog machine 50 round drum. I love mine and I have one for my Ruger 10/22 and a Magpul D-60 and D-50 for my centerfire ARs too. lots of fun especially in 22lr and would definitely give her more time in a firefight and I would not want to be shot even with 22lr. and stingers or mini mags are fine and should run great and my rifle loved the stuff.

Last edited by lone gunman; 02-28-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Love the BD Drums.

I would not be all to concerned about shooting the 22 conversion in the upper as far the gas system is concerned. My first foray into the .22 ri fire platform was a drop in conversion. You will lose some accuracy of course over a 1/16 in a dedicated. But I used to just fire a 5.56 on occasion..I never had a problem with the cas system.

If She likes it alot and you wound also. Build Her a dedicated Rifle eventually..Easy to go from drop in to dedicated later on.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:05 AM
Frostburg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anyone know if the CMMG system will work with Geissele triggers?
Old 03-01-2021, 05:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostburg View Post
Does anyone know if the CMMG system will work with Geissele triggers?
Yes. It does.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 AM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll bite

I shoot HEAPS of .22lr through my .223 match rifle with a 26" krieger barrel.

-Accuracy wise they shoot better than you think and shoot heavier bullets better than anything else (even with all that free-bore)

-No stingers....shoot Velociters or Aguila SSS if you want more "stopping power"
If you decide to shoot either get a bolt weight!

-Soft lead bullets aren't harming your barrel (wouldn't shoot any exotic CCI (copper .22, the powder coated or other non lead projectile stuff.....copper wash is more than OK though)

-The gas port will only fully "foul" after 1000+rounds

-The trigger pack and charging handle slot in the upper may see a little more dirt than usual (but you battle ready AR guys clean like zealots, so no concerns there)

-To clean push wet patches of your preferred bore cleaner until they come out clean...then 3-4 rounds of .223 to clear the gas system and you're back in business

Worry more about your chamber while inserting and removing the adapter.

All said and told .22lr is pretty benign.

You'll shoot more paper than people. I promise!
Old 03-01-2021, 11:35 PM
Frostburg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShaghal View Post
I shoot HEAPS of .22lr through my .223 match rifle with a 26" krieger barrel.

-Accuracy wise they shoot better than you think and shoot heavier bullets better than anything else (even with all that free-bore)

-No stingers....shoot Velociters or Aguila SSS if you want more "stopping power"
If you decide to shoot either get a bolt weight!

-Soft lead bullets aren't harming your barrel (wouldn't shoot any exotic CCI (copper .22, the powder coated or other non lead projectile stuff.....copper wash is more than OK though)

-The gas port will only fully "foul" after 1000+rounds

-The trigger pack and charging handle slot in the upper may see a little more dirt than usual (but you battle ready AR guys clean like zealots, so no concerns there)

-To clean push wet patches of your preferred bore cleaner until they come out clean...then 3-4 rounds of .223 to clear the gas system and you're back in business

Worry more about your chamber while inserting and removing the adapter.

All said and told .22lr is pretty benign.

You'll shoot more paper than people. I promise!
Very interesting. Everything I've been reading people have been recommending to use copper plated bullets instead of soft lead, as the lead and accompanying oil will gunk up the rifle. So you're saying that's not the case?

You mentioned bolt weights. I'm guessing you are talking about reliability upgrades? So far I ordered a borebuddy buffer plug and charging handle insert. What else should I install in order to increase the reliability and effectiveness of the CMMG kit in my upper? Or do I pretty much have it all?
Old 03-02-2021, 11:18 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Deleted

Last edited by Arrowhead; 03-03-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:20 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All I have ever shot in my rig is CCI wax coated mini-mags. It gets about as dirty as any 22 rifle does.

Shoot different brands of ammo with both wax and copper washed bullets and see what happens. It can be cleaned just like any other gun.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CMMG conversion kit concerns

Been sending various types of .22lr thru my kit (Spikes Tactical Crusader with a 14.5Ē lightweight barrel) and have had only a couple issues so far with feeding, but that was kinda expected with Winchester 333.

Other then that, Iíve run mainly anything over 1200 FPS: CCI Mini mags (40&36g), CCI Blazer, Aguila Super Extra, Federal Range (blue box 800rd count), and Federal Black box with zero issues.

The kit is still stock, I polished it up (everything minus the bolt & springs). Wet sanded with 800, then 2000 and finally some Flitz on the dremmel....smooth as glass and it sounds sweet cycling.

End each session sending a couple .223 rounds just to keep that gas port good to go....well that and reassure my zero.

Itís a great kit and keeps me doing drills. Accuracy is not bad at all. Itís not match grade by any means, but itís good enough to ring a 6Ēx11Ē plate @ 50 yards continuously and thatís good enough for me.

Cleaning is just like any other rimfire....just take your time and put on some good music.

UPDATE: If your have a compensator on make sure to clean it after every use.

Enjoy the kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sinewavz; 03-02-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:27 PM
Frostburg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey guys, so I have another concern. I am hearing that there are two different versions of the CMMG kit, one with a brass collar, and one with a stainless steel collar. I hear that the brass one is older, and that the stainless steel one is newer and has been updated for better reliability. I ordered mine online and received it this past week. I ordered it via Primary Arms, but it has the brass collar. Is the previous statement I made true? Do I have an older model? Should I be concerned?