The New Smith & Wesson .22 LR Victory Thread (the place to discuss this new pistol) - Page 64 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 PM
triton186

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsuper View Post
I got to see a Victory in person at my LGS. It was a brand new one with threaded barrel listed at $399. The fit and exterior finish were great! I also liked the grip and how it felt in my hand. I took a bore light and saw what appears to be carbon deposits at the chamber area. It did not look like a manufacturing defect with rough finish in the chamber or the bore, but it looked like a large carbon deposit with appearance similar to the deposits that I get after few hundreds of rounds from firing my 10/22's. How much of test fire do they do at Smith & Wesson before they box the Victory out for shipping anyway? I think I'll wait for now until another one comes in with next delivery to my LGS in couple of weeks.
I would be suprised if they test fired it more than 5 times. several firearms I've purchased in the past included the test fire target along with the other paperwork and most were 3 shots, with only 1 or 2 of them with 5 shots on the target
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 PM
milsuper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton186 View Post
I would be suprised if they test fired it more than 5 times. several firearms I've purchased in the past included the test fire target along with the other paperwork and most were 3 shots, with only 1 or 2 of them with 5 shots on the target
Yes, I know that. I have been an owner of many different firearms since age 18. Which made me wonder why so much fouling or deposits at the chamber area in a brand new Victory??? Hmmm.... I will check the next unit at my LGS and see it has the same finding.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 PM
cts1990
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe one of the employees wanted to see what all the hoopla was about this new pistol and took it to the range for a quick 50 round test. That way he could tell potential buyers he's shot one and it's a good shooter.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I got to see a Victory in person at my LGS. It was a brand new one with threaded barrel listed at $399. The fit and exterior finish were great! I also liked the grip and how it felt in my hand. I took a bore light and saw what appears to be carbon deposits at the chamber area. It did not look like a manufacturing defect with rough finish in the chamber or the bore, but it looked like a large carbon deposit with appearance similar to the deposits that I get after few hundreds of rounds from firing my 10/22's. How much of test fire do they do at Smith & Wesson before they box the Victory out for shipping anyway? I think I'll wait for now until another one comes in with next delivery to my LGS in couple of weeks.
Maybe they tried it at the gun shop before they put it out. Mine came from Davidson's and the box was sealed. It was spotless. In and out. I checked it with a bore light when I picked it up.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:53 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I got mine, I thought, maybe, the boys at the store had taken it out and shot it a lot. It was the first one they'd gotten in, after all.

But after cleaning the bore, it still looked the same. What I was seeing was not fouling. It was the extremely poor machining of the bore itself.

S&W did replace the barrel when I sent it in. The new one is a lot better, but still not anywhere near as nice as the barrels on every other .22 I own. Their method for making these barrels leaves something to be desired, in my experience.

I do recommend that you inspect the bore carefully before buying one. Don't assume you're seeing fouling. Ask to clean it if in doubt.

Tabbed in.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Threecats
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WY View Post
When I got mine, I thought, maybe, the boys at the store had taken it out and shot it a lot. It was the first one they'd gotten in, after all.

But after cleaning the bore, it still looked the same. What I was seeing was not fouling. It was the extremely poor machining of the bore itself.

S&W did replace the barrel when I sent it in. The new one is a lot better, but still not anywhere near as nice as the barrels on every other .22 I own. Their method for making these barrels leaves something to be desired, in my experience.

I do recommend that you inspect the bore carefully before buying one. Don't assume you're seeing fouling. Ask to clean it if in doubt.

Tabbed in.
I remember the pics you posted and am still curious how many others have run into this problem. I don't know anything about the machining that goes into boring and rifling a barrel but it always reminds me of when I have occasionally gotten bad threads with a pipe threader. It always happened when some scrap got caught up in the die and it just gouged out the threads rendering them useless.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:47 PM
milsuper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezen View Post
Maybe they tried it at the gun shop before they put it out. Mine came from Davidson's and the box was sealed. It was spotless. In and out. I checked it with a bore light when I picked it up.
Thanks for the tip, Thezen. I just completed a purchase of new non-threaded Victory for $349 from Davidson's after reading your tip. I'll be sure to check the chamber and bore again before I take delivery. How long does Davidson's usually take to transfer to the listed FFL? I can't wait to take delivery of my new pistol! Happy 4th, Guys!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
cts1990

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my Victory along with a buddy that got one as well. His barrel had issues and sent it back to S&W. Got it back 2 weeks later with a replaced barrel. My issues are documented here. Barrel was fine but the ejector was out of adjustment. Tweaked it on my own and now it's a beast that eats anything and just spits it out. Other than the #61 O-ring fix with the takedown screw, I've had no other issues.

My Independence Day fireworks are lead tipped! The Victory will be getting a workout over the holiday for sure.

Happy Birthday America!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Csc57

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Went shooting today with the victory and found out something crazy. I used a box of the aguila 60 grain and it was very accurate. I did have a couple of ejection problems but **** it was accurate.

Anyone else try the 60 grain sub sonics?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:20 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Thezen. I just completed a purchase of new non-threaded Victory for $349 from Davidson's after reading your tip. I'll be sure to check the chamber and bore again before I take delivery. How long does Davidson's usually take to transfer to the listed FFL? I can't wait to take delivery of my new pistol! Happy 4th, Guys!
I got mine in 3 days. To NW Pa. You got a good price!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:28 PM
QB Too
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csc57 View Post
Went shooting today with the victory and found out something crazy. I used a box of the aguila 60 grain and it was very accurate. I did have a couple of ejection problems but **** it was accurate.

Anyone else try the 60 grain sub sonics?
I use an AAC Element II and a Dead Air Mask suppressor on my Victory handguns with the below ammo:

GEMTECH Silencer Subsonic 42 GRAIN
American Eagle Suppressor 45 GRAIN
Aguila SuperExtra Eley Prime 40 GRAIN

One of my Victory pistols hated the Aguila but I shot the ammo out of my other Victory last Saturday and only had 1 problem round. Both GEMTECH and American Eagle Subsonic run 100% but my preference/favorite is GEMTECH.

All of the ammo seemed accurate but I haven't done any serious testing. I'll have to look up the Aguila 60 grain subsonic, haven't seen that one.

Last edited by QB Too; 07-01-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:41 PM
cts1990

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 60 grain Aguila subsonic is their "Sniper" round. They state it's not suited for semi-automatics. I've shot a box of 50 through my SP-101 wheel gun. Good varmint round. I'm surprised the Victory cycled them at all. I'm going to try standard velocity next in my Victory, maybe a box of subsonic just to see if it cycles. But not the 60 grain bullet.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Despite the barrel issues, I have to say that my Victory cycles everything I've fed it, including subsonics that would gag most semi-auto pistols. The mechanism seems to be extremely forgiving and tolerant of a wide variety of ammo. That's a really nice characteristic.

So it's interesting to hear that it was able to cycle the 60 grain sniper subsonics, but if any semi-auto could do it, it seems it might be the Victory.

What one often hears is that the twist rate in the typical .22's barrel is not fast enough to stabilize those long 60 grain bullets, so they tend to tumble in flight and keyhole the targets.

I wonder how they'd fly at longer distances out of the Victory.

If they work really well, they'd be quite useful and fun fired from a suppressed Victory.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Csc57

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WY View Post
Despite the barrel issues, I have to say that my Victory cycles everything I've fed it, including subsonics that would gag most semi-auto pistols. The mechanism seems to be extremely forgiving and tolerant of a wide variety of ammo. That's a really nice characteristic.

So it's interesting to hear that it was able to cycle the 60 grain sniper subsonics, but if any semi-auto could do it, it seems it might be the Victory.

What one often hears is that the twist rate in the typical .22's barrel is not fast enough to stabilize those long 60 grain bullets, so they tend to tumble in flight and keyhole the targets.

I wonder how they'd fly at longer distances out of the Victory.

If they work really well, they'd be quite useful and fun fired from a suppressed Victory.
The aguila 60 grains tumble more out of my cz Lilja barrel than the sw 22. At 50 it was hitting sideways. My Kidd 10-22 was also nothing but keyholes. This is the first barrel that shot it accurately. I found it strange that the sw 22 didn't like S&K pistol match ammo, worst groups to date. So far aguila 60s are the most accurate followed by mini mags.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:02 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've looked all over the interwebs and can not find the specification for the barrel twist rate.

Anyone know the answer for me, please.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.