Tuner/Naked Testing - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:17 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Tuner/Naked Testing

Thinking about the pros/cons of lot testing naked barrel or with tuner. We all know the tuner acts to reduce vertical so there is a case for selecting lots that may show some vertical with a naked barrel but show very little horizontal. If you are testing naked and have nice round groups then the tuner is going to have to work to reduce those groups in all directions, not just vertical. I guess the best way would be to do both before making lot choices.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:45 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Thinking about the pros/cons of lot testing naked barrel or with tuner. We all know the tuner acts to reduce vertical so there is a case for selecting lots that may show some vertical with a naked barrel but show very little horizontal. If you are testing naked and have nice round groups then the tuner is going to have to work to reduce those groups in all directions, not just vertical. I guess the best way would be to do both before making lot choices.
John, My first trip to Mesa I learned the idea is to test ammo performance. it is not the time to test your tuner settings. same reason I always tell someone new to tuning to shoot the rifle naked first and see what you have to work with, a barrel that is not up to par will only frustrate you.

IMO unless you are completely confident on the rifle's tune then test as is if not then test it without the tuner and select the lot that has the least amount of vertical.

Lee
Old 03-02-2021, 12:24 PM
aslap

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I guess weíll find out....

John/Lee,

Iíll be shooting inside this Friday to work on the rifle tune. It shot pretty well with the ammo I have both outside and at Lapua. It will be interesting to see how it tunes up.

The best ammo that I saw at Lapua with the naked barrel was a lot that John had purchased. That was the 12.6 mm group. I have another brick from a different batch that seemed to shoot OK with the Muller barrel so Iíll try that too.

Tony