Have a 10/22, a CZ, and now a Henry? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2021, 11:02 AM
whiplash

Join Date: 
Jul 2020
Location: 
OH,TX,MN,GA,FL
Posts: 
726
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have a 10/22, a CZ, and now a Henry?



Log in to see fewer ads
Don't have a lever action. Of course, asking you for permission is like ...

Considering a Henry. Any others? Which Henry?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 AM
flangster is online now

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
5,052
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
I went Marlin, CZ, 10/22, Henry . . . almost the same progression. I have two Henry rifles now, the Henry Frontier (20" octagonal barrel) and the Frontier with the threaded barrel. They are as accurate as my CZs, just a little more challenging to use off a rest. I really think of the lever gun as an offhand shooter. Both are .22 LR for me.
__________________
============
n00by is now flangster on RFC -- still a newbie though
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2021, 03:57 PM
whiplash

Join Date: 
Jul 2020
Location: 
OH,TX,MN,GA,FL
Posts: 
726
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I went Marlin, CZ, 10/22, Henry . . . almost the same progression. I have two Henry rifles now, the Henry Frontier (20" octagonal barrel) and the Frontier with the threaded barrel. They are as accurate as my CZs, just a little more challenging to use off a rest. I really think of the lever gun as an offhand shooter. Both are .22 LR for me.
Shooting offhand for now until I invest/spend money on what it will take for scopes and bench rest equipment. Still in the learning mode of shooting offhand with iron sights and cleaning firearms properly.

One of things I just saw about lever actions is they require less cleaning than an automatic or bolt. True or somewhat true?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-24-2021, 04:31 PM
flangster is online now

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
5,052
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Shooting offhand for now until I invest/spend money on what it will take for scopes and bench rest equipment. Still in the learning mode of shooting offhand with iron sights and cleaning firearms properly.

One of things I just saw about lever actions is they require less cleaning than an automatic or bolt. True or somewhat true?
Hmmm. Never heard anything about that one way or another. In my simple mind, it is the ammo that's dirty in .22c land. I clean my Henry's more or less as often as my other rifles. I have yet to do a detail strip-down of either of them, but it hasn't been a very shoot-y winter.
__________________
============
n00by is now flangster on RFC -- still a newbie though
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM
VGEHTS's Avatar
VGEHTS

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Location: 
'soutside of Chicago
Posts: 
187
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve me a GoldenBoy 22 model, and just picked up a “pump action” Henry .22 model.

GoldenBoy is lever action and a sweet shooter, that looks n feels great!
Conversation starter every time I take it out of the case.

Because it does not rely on *blo-back* to load the next cartridge, the breach area will stay much cleaner compared to a semi-auto action.

For me, I noticed that I can go an EZ 1000 rounds before any type of “break down” cleaning....and that’s only because I’m anal.....
Breakdown as in removing the receiver cover and clean n lube all action/trigger/breach parts. Also a barrel cleaning with a “patch n jag”.

For me again,...between breakdown cleanings, I’ll run a bore snake after a outing of about 200 rounds.
With the action open, I’ll clean the “bolt face” with a brass pick or wooden tooth pick, as gunk seems to collect there in front of the firing pin.

Very easy to own and maintain.

Last edited by VGEHTS; 02-24-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2021, 12:41 PM
dsk

Join Date: 
Jun 2011
Posts: 
130
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a basic H001 last year from Walmart, and I have to admit I enjoy shooting it more than any of my semi-autos. There's just something satisfying about working a lever smartly between shots. The fact that it's very accurate helps as well. I do wish it was made from machined steel and not pot metal, but then again it wouldn't have been as affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2021, 02:19 PM
whiplash

Join Date: 
Jul 2020
Location: 
OH,TX,MN,GA,FL
Posts: 
726
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I bought a basic H001 last year from Walmart, and I have to admit I enjoy shooting it more than any of my semi-autos. There's just something satisfying about working a lever smartly between shots. The fact that it's very accurate helps as well. I do wish it was made from machined steel and not pot metal, but then again it wouldn't have been as affordable.
Henry 22 lever action are more scarce than I realized. Would be very lucky to find one at a Walmart like you. The price point is acceptable. The Golden Boy also looks really good. Is the Golden Boy not made out of pot metal?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2021, 07:14 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2011
Location: 
Nebraska
Posts: 
2,129
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Henry 22 lever action are more scarce than I realized. Would be very lucky to find one at a Walmart like you. The price point is acceptable. The Golden Boy also looks really good. Is the Golden Boy not made out of pot metal?
A place called Guns Unlimited in Omaha, NE recently had several tables stacked full of a variety of brand new in box Henry rifles from .22 carbines to centerfire versions with and without side gates. You should be able to search for contact info so you can check if they will ship to your FFL. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2021, 02:43 PM
jht22
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Feb 2014
Posts: 
73
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a hoo1 at a pawn shop, it fell into my lap as I was looking to replace a troublesome Savage that I downloaded. I couldn't be happier, you don't need the octagon barrel as it only adds weight. Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2021, 03:42 PM
whiplash

Join Date: 
Jul 2020
Location: 
OH,TX,MN,GA,FL
Posts: 
726
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jht22 View Post
I bought a hoo1 at a pawn shop, it fell into my lap as I was looking to replace a troublesome Savage that I downloaded. I couldn't be happier, you don't need the octagon barrel as it only adds weight. Good Luck
Thanks for letting me know about the barrel and weight. I like my rifles light because I'm not a big guy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM
dsk

Join Date: 
Jun 2011
Posts: 
130
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Henry 22 lever action are more scarce than I realized. Would be very lucky to find one at a Walmart like you. The price point is acceptable. The Golden Boy also looks really good. Is the Golden Boy not made out of pot metal?
The Golden Boy is made out of the same materials as the H001. It's just flashier. In all fairness to "pot metal" though, on a .22 rifle cast alloys usually hold up just fine. The old Marlin 39As and Winchester 9422s had steel receivers, but they were discontinued because they cost too much to make and nowadays are $1000 or more on the used gun market.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2021, 11:58 AM
whiplash

Join Date: 
Jul 2020
Location: 
OH,TX,MN,GA,FL
Posts: 
726
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Found one.

May have over paid; yet, time will tell if I paid too much. Paid more this year than I would have paid last year.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2021, 05:25 PM
Henry88's Avatar
Henry88

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
Central Florida
Posts: 
747
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
One of things I just saw about lever actions is they require less cleaning than an automatic or bolt. True or somewhat true?
I don't see how anything could require less cleaning than a bolt; a big plus if you shoot a lot of rimfire.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 AM
whiplash

Join Date: 
Jul 2020
Location: 
OH,TX,MN,GA,FL
Posts: 
726
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
I don't see how anything could require less cleaning than a bolt; a big plus if you shoot a lot of rimfire.
True, not compared to a bolt. As an earlier poster said, they'll be cleaner than the guns without the semi-auto blow back.

It's on it's way via UPS. Maybe at my FFL For Monday's range day.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2021, 04:11 AM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2009
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
1,241
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I own several Henry rifles
H001 22lr
H001M 22mag
SGC 22mag
Big boy Steel 357
I love them all and they are excellent shooters. All the levers are smooth when cycling the action and a joy to shoot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x