Aguila Super Extra Sv sticking in S&W K-22 Masterpiece - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:01 PM
John Hill 6
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Aguila Super Extra Sv sticking in S&W K-22 Masterpiece

I am shooting a S&W K-22 Masterpiece today.
I picked up some ( a bunch of ) Aguila Super Extra SV and every time that I shot 6 rounds, (I shot two boxes) I had to strike the end of the ejector with a hard plastic hammer to get it to eject. the brass seems to be sticking in the cylinder. I tried 12 rounds of CCI SV with no problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
John

Last edited by John Hill 6; 02-28-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:28 PM
ga4boats917

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a brick of the Super Extra high velocity. Have not shot it yet. Several years ago I had the same HV and it was super dirty and had a very unique smell. Not an answer to your question, but the Aguila seems to be a little different.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:52 PM
PokeyOkie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It could be build-up in the cylinder. how many rounds do you have through it? Birchwood Casey makes a lead removing cloth that I scrub my cylinders with and it keeps the cases from sticking. You can also use Flitz and polish it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2021, 03:13 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When I take one of my K-22s to the range I put a pistol cleaning rod with a .22 bronze brush in my range bag. I also carry a 1" wooden dowel to tap the ejector rod.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:37 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Dear John Hill 6,

My experience with a S&W Model 17-3 is that the cylinder chambers are very tight and that some ammunition sticks tighter than others. CCI SV is everybody's go-to round and it does fairly well but even using that the cylinder chambers seem to need cleaning every 50 to 100 rounds. I know some folks take aggressive VFG cleaning pellets (Brownells), place them on an adapter and use a mix of Kroil and Bore Shine/Bore Bright with an electric drill to polish out the chambers. Aguila always seems to be a particularly dirty ammo, too, so your experience may vary. Good luck!

Cheers,
AQBill

Last edited by aqbill; 02-28-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:42 PM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My old M18 had very tight chambers, they were referred to as 'mallet guns' because you needed a mallet to load and extract the ammo, didn't matter if it was SV or HV, those chambers were SNUG. It shot really, really well, though, I mean REALLY well. That was back in the late '70s and early '80s. Danged nice gun, but it was a pain in the neck to use much.
I recently bought a 4" 617, because I missed that old M18, ammo just drops into the cylinder and extracts with a short snap on the ejector rod. It doesn't seem to shoot quite as well as the older gun, but at least it's not a PITN to use.
If your 17 is like my old M18, live with it, if it's shooting like you want. I kept the 18 religiously clean, but it was still worse than this new 617, which loads and ejects easily, even when dirty. They is, what they is.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:55 PM
MajorD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The smith and Wesson revolver chambers are known for this problem with lots of different ammo. Some people will actually get a chamber reamer to open them up.
My 17 has tight chambers but my experience is the exact opposite of yours ejects aguila easily but harder to load and eject with CCI!
Old 02-28-2021, 07:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
I have a Highway Patrolman in .357. The revolver had been reblued and the chambers made extracting empties difficult. I chucked up a bore mop in a hand drill with some Flitz polish and had at it. No more problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited by flangster; 03-01-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:17 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed that with my 617. Federal seems to be a bit smaller diameter and are easier to eject. I think there is some variability in 22 ammo that makes feeding revolvers a little more tricky.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:36 AM
John Hill 6

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
My old M18 had very tight chambers, they were referred to as 'mallet guns' because you needed a mallet to load and extract the ammo, didn't matter if it was SV or HV, those chambers were SNUG. It shot really, really well, though, I mean REALLY well. That was back in the late '70s and early '80s. Danged nice gun, but it was a pain in the neck to use much.
I recently bought a 4" 617, because I missed that old M18, ammo just drops into the cylinder and extracts with a short snap on the ejector rod. It doesn't seem to shoot quite as well as the older gun, but at least it's not a PITN to use.
If your 17 is like my old M18, live with it, if it's shooting like you want. I kept the 18 religiously clean, but it was still worse than this new 617, which loads and ejects easily, even when dirty. They is, what they is.
I have a 617 as well. No problem at all.
The curious thing about the sticking in the K-22 is that the new rounds drop right in effortlessly but won't extract. I'll polish and see if the problem goes away.
Thanks to all that have helped here.
John
Old 03-01-2021, 08:08 PM
max503
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The chamber reamer works wonders. I did my J frame and still need to do my K frame. There's a thread about it with detailed directions on the S&W forum.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ng-report.html
When I did mine I had empties in three of the other six cylinders.
It's not difficult.

Last edited by max503; 03-01-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:53 AM
John Hill 6

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max503 View Post
The chamber reamer works wonders. I did my J frame and still need to do my K frame. There's a thread about it with detailed directions on the S&W forum.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ng-report.html
When I did mine I had empties in three of the other six cylinders.
It's not difficult.
Great reply. Thanks.
I only have one K-17 and wonder where I could post to maybe "borrow" a reamer for one time use.
John