Glenfield model 60 for metallic silhouette? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 AM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for all your good suggestions! I did watch that video the other day, but he didn't really show how to get the spring out of the floppy disc. Hopefully I can figure it out. Sometimes I overthink things.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up a couple more thoughts . . .

Just another thought while I'm on here. Have you heard of / tried a Spee-d-loader? ( http ://www.spee-d-loader.net/spee-d-loader/ ) I had a Glenfield 60 back in the 70s when I lived in Ohio and bought one of them, but now in Canada the mfr doesn't ship up here. And to have it imported by a LGS would end up costing over $50. So I found this video while searching for them, and made some myself. I used .308 cases cut in half and assembled 4 tubes together with packing tape. Then run a 3/16" all=thread down the middle to 'stiffen' the bundle. The bundle for 15 rounds just barely fits across the top shelf of my Stack-on cabinet, but if your 60 is an older 18 round (like my old on was) you may not be able to keep it there. Here in Canada ammo has to be kept locked up so This is a lucky solution. I made two loader bundles so I get 120 rounds w/o refilling.
Also, here's a link to a test study of those 'bullet re-sizing' tools that some are using. I haven't sprung for one yet, but maybe they will help with accuracy. I can't keep under 1/2" consistently, but that may be me. I have a 4-12x Tasco with adj-parallax but I'm thinking of going to 6-24x. Just a lot of $$ for another 1/4" !!

Hope some of this helps you -
Ed
Old 07-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink Floppy destruction :-O

I just saw your post about the floppy. Just gently tear the metal slider off the plastic housing. The spring may fly, so be careful you don't lose it.
Here's a vid taking it apart - the guy does it to recycle materials.
http s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1LxDI-GNvo

Funny what you can find if you have the time to surf
Old 07-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Cutting hammer spring

And here's a link describing the hammer spring cut. One coil helps lots, but I'm going to take off more next time I have her open.

http s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lenhREwZAkQ
Old 07-02-2020, 12:02 PM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, mine's an older one with the squirrel stock, full length barrel and no LSHO. According to the Serial# it's a '72. It was actually given to me by a friend, so it's special to me even if it isn't the best 22 out there. It's always shot good though!

I'll look at the video when I get the chance. Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2020, 08:16 PM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I managed to grease my hammer/sear engagement and install the floppy disc spring. Even took a quick trip to the range before it got dark. Trigger feels better than ever! I'm a little disappointed that even after polishing the bolt and the inside of the receiver my gun won't run standard velocity ammo. Jam city. I had high hopes for CCI Standard Velocity and Aguila target, but no dice.

But, it did show a preference for Aguila Super Extra 38 grain HP's. A quick 5 shot group had 4 in one hole with the fifth just beside it at 3 oclock. This was at 50 yards with my old Bushnell Sharpshooter scope dialed up to 9x. If these continue to impress I'll stock up on them. The advertised velocity is 1280 fps, so I don't know if I could use them for silhouette. They should be great for everything else though. Time will tell!
Old 07-03-2020, 08:46 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy

What a shame after all that work. Did you try to cut a coil off the hammer spring ? That may be keeping the cycle from running the SV. I cut One coil off and can run SV, even target stuff like Eley and SK Standard Plus. Just a guess, but it wouldn't hurt ? ^O^
Ed
Old 07-03-2020, 02:25 PM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, I didn't cut the hammer spring. I replaced the recoil spring and the hammer spring a couple years ago. I kinked the recoil spring and just went ahead and replaced both of them. Pretty sure I got them from Midway.

I was thinking about getting the Mcarbo spring kit for the trigger. Not sure if that would help it run SV ammo or not.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:46 PM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have been fortunate enough to compete in the last 4 Small Bore Silhouette Nationals held at the NRA Whittington Center (2012,2014,2016 and 2018).
While not a Marlin model 60 I have seen Ruger 10/22s on the line occasionally.

I have never seen anything in the rule book that would prohibit a Model 60 from competing.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

If you don't feel comfortable cutting the hammer spring and making the other spring mods, buying the MCarbo spring kit would be a good compromise. I've seen good reports on the Marlin kit. I used the spring kit on a Savage 64 cause the original spring on it was a complicated series of bends. It works fine, but I replaced the return spring on that one too. And polished all the internals.
Hope you can get set up for your sil shooting.
Ed