Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Thought of getting one of these to get my holes closer together on paper, but I suspect the caliber is too large. You guys would smell a rat in a heartbeat......
Old 04-25-2020, 12:31 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
Thought of getting one of these to get my holes closer together on paper, but I suspect the caliber is too large. You guys would smell a rat in a heartbeat......
Old 04-25-2020, 06:21 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just got my Gunsmither Tools rear cleaning hole drill tool. So both guns will come apart to get this done.

In other news, it appears that the 1235 heavy-taper model is unavailable anywhere. This may require me to fall back to Plan B and buy a 17" tapered GM barrel. After putting some break-in and accuracy testing rounds through it, I would send the GM barrel, 1151 receiver and my spare bolt off to Randy for blueprinting.

Next up for me to test is the Big Dog (457 ProVarmint/MTR barrel) with the Eley Action. It's not cutting the mustard with SK, so I'm hoping I can get it to shoot significantly better than the Trainer with some flavor of Eley. Otherwise, I'll send it down the road and just keep the Trainer.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 04-25-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:04 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just drilled the cleaning hole. Very simple staightforward process with the Gunsmither tool. The actual drilling time was probably about 20 seconds, chucked into my portable drill. I held the receiver secure in a vise, very lightly clamped at the rear corners and supported by hand.

Cleaned up the hole with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and blew it all out with the green can of brake cleaner. Looked through from the muzzle on back, and it is perfectly aligned.

Here's a pic. Awesome tool to have especially if you have multiple 10/22s. And for that matter, friends you can do this for. $33 and free shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear cleaning hole.jpg (205.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 04-26-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sent my stock 1151 bolt to Randy on 21 April. Got it back today with a nice little note describing what he did, and informing me that headspace is 0.425".

Off to play tomorrow! Will I get even better results than with the JWH bolt? Perhaps not, but now I have two good bolts and don't have to keep swapping in the good one from the other 10/22!
Old 05-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As I was installing my scope for today's shooting, I was interrupted by a knock at my front door. Outraged at the interruption, I rushed downstairs to confront the thoughtless knave.....

....only to discover that my walnut stock had arrived from S&P. At roughly the speed that Superman changes clothes in a phone booth, I had the old stock off and the new one on.

Other side looks about the same. Does not pass the dollar bill test, but at least the barrel appears to be straight in the channel. I will check it out today as is, and also with a washer to free-float the barrel. Really liking the bling upgrade!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walnut 1151A.jpg (240.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Walnut 1151B.jpg (317.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 05-08-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey, as it turns out, today was Comedy-of-Errors Day at the range! Here are a couple of Valuable Lessons for you, free of charge, from my experiences.

1. When shooting a 10/22 at the range, bring at least one 10/22 magazine. Fortunately I was able to borrow one from their rental gun.

2. When installing a scope that has QD rings, tighten them more than finger-tight. Had to re-zero about halfway through the shooting, and kept checking them to make sure they stayed tight-ish.

So anyway, after blasting away for a couple of boxes worth, I got some results. I was shooting 5-shot groups of Eley Action with a 9X scope, bipod and rear bag, at 25 yards. First two groups were 0.12"; then I inserted a washer to space the barrel away from the stock. Opened up the group to 0.20". Groups got larger after that, so I removed the washer, and the final group shot went back down to 0.19". So no spacer to free-float. Looks better that way anyway.

Then I shot a box of Eley Club. Only one halfway decent group, 0.19". Everything else was larger and not consistently shaped, pretty spread out.

So with Eley Action and no free-floating, the three groups measured were in the .48 - .76 MOA range, averaging .56 MOA. Not too bad for a stock 16" sporter barrel that has never been to Connecticut! Probably would have gotten better results with more scope, but this one was handy; all the rest are mounted on something.

The components for today's shooting:
stock bolt with the full CPC treatment
stock trigger with Brimstone Tier 2, average pull about 2.0#
stock 16" take-off barrel from S&P Outfitters
stock walnut stock that was in stock when I ordered it, also S&P

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 05-08-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Today I sold my Brimstone Tier 2 stock trigger to my range buddyette for $50 + her stock trigger, which I had already polished. She could tell how much better her trigger was after just polishing, and liked my trigger a whole lot more. This deal was in the works for a couple of weeks, pending her getting to try both triggers side by side. My trigger is significantly better than a stock BX.

So now you are thinking, You numbnutz, why would you do that? Here is my brilliant answer: So I could have a stock trigger to drop in the Kidd drop-in "Trigger Job" kit. Already ordered, in black. I am giddy with excitement! I already have his return spring tuning kit.

I also have the BX with the Brimstone kit in it, in my 1121 Target. So now I will have two very nice triggers, and my first-world problem is deciding which gun gets which trigger.

Oh yeah, loaded up a 25-round magazine today with Eley Benchrest Outlaw, shot 'em at the same POA (@ 25 yards, bipod and bag, 9X), and got this CTC hole in the pic. Rate of fire was about one round per second.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1151 Eley BRO.JPG (459.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 06-16-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:36 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So the Kidd drop-in I ordered Tuesday came today, while I was outside doing yard chores. Installed it after lunch, using a Wolff reduced-power trigger return spring, which seems lighter than any of the springs in Tony's 5-spring tuning kit. I also put a little Frog Lube on the hammer notch and the sear. We'll see if it will allow a reset when I can get it to the range on Mon or Tue. I'll take the Kidd springs with me so I can swap 'em out on the spot, if need be.

This is a seriously nice trigger! Very crisp. Pull weights with my digital scale, gun fully assembled, were about 15 - 20 oz if I pulled slowly and about 5 - 6 oz if I pulled aggressively.

Pulled out the 1121 Target with its Brimstone BX trigger, for comparisons. The BX has been polished, but no stoning of the hammer notch. Fast pulls are about 11 oz and slow ones about 25 oz. The BX feels just a little softer, not quite as crisp. There is just the slightest bit of creep before the break in the BX, which I don't actually mind; it's a feature, not a bug. Feels like a two-stage. Pulling a bit harder rather than adding pressure very slowly, you would never notice it.

Overall I would say I prefer the Kidd; but if you have a BX and want to Brimstone it, and finances are an issue, then the upgraded BX is very close to being its equal, with a different feel. They are so close that I am not feeling a strong desire to swap the Kidd into my Target. And until I can actually shoot with the Kidd drop-in to check the reset, IDK if I will need to install a heavier return spring. So pull weights might turn out to be pretty much the same. I'll let you know.

Another thing to consider is that I installed the Brimstone kit myself in the BX. If you have it done by them, they may be adding some "secret sauce" I didn't do, such as disconnector reshaping. In that case the BX done in-house might turn out to be every bit as good and feel the same as the Kidd. Plus they do a lot more trigger colors.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 06-20-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:57 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Haven't gotten to the range yet. Maybe this week, or Monday.

Forgot to mention that I did do a trigger-reset test, pulling the trigger and holding it back while recycling the bolt. There is a nice crisp reset with the Wolff spring. But I like to try it with actual ammunition to really make sure.

Just now I pulled the trigger on my three best: CZ 457 with Yodave spring (8 oz), and the two 10/22s. The 457 wins hands down for lightness and feel; it's the one you would choose for high-precision benchrest shots. The Kidd isn't far behind, still a crisp single-stage but heavier (using a slow pull). The Brimstoned BX is close but third place; comes to a slight wall before the break, and still very nice. But as I said before, it's really more of a feel preference between the two 10/22 triggers. I seriously doubt that I will shoot tighter groups with the Kidd over the modded BX.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Got to the range today and was able to confirm that trigger reset with the Kidd drop-in and the very light Wolff reset spring is fine. IMO the only thing better than this would be the Kidd two-stage, since they started from scratch with that design, and were not limited by Ruger's trigger design parameters.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 06-29-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:29 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wife and I went plinking this morning. I had my Caldwell Chronograph out so I ran some 36 grain fed bulk through my 22-45 lite. Average was 1064 fps. Put a suppressor on and they were quiet. Same ammo averaged 1224 in the braced Charger so I need to run SV or SS for the suppressor. I ran some Aguila target through the Charger and suppressor and had a 15 shot group of about 2" @ 25 yards. Sounds big but I was shooting off hand with a red dot. Quietly. 1020 avg fps.