Brownells BRN-22 - Has anyone tried to install a KIDD rear tang? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:18 AM
heartburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brownells BRN-22 - Has anyone tried to install a KIDD rear tang?

Brownells BRN-22 - Has anyone tried to install a KIDD rear tang?

I may have overlooked this topic in the large Brownells receiver thread but scanned back through to make sure I didn't miss something obvious. I was looking at these receivers and with all the known issues and the "fixes" posted in the bag thread thought I would give them a look again. While checking them out I noticed the "cutout" in the rear of the receiver and wondered if it would be possible to mill for KIDD tang. It appears there may not be a way to do this and wondering if anyone has tried?

Thanks for info/discussion about this topic.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:46 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sonoran Gunstocks (George in AZ) can do it for you.

Personally, I would just buy a KIDD receiver rather than send out an FFL item, then have it milled.

The Brownell receiver may be cheap, but it would not be so post mailing and milling.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:14 AM
heartburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
Sonoran Gunstocks (George in AZ) can do it for you.

Personally, I would just buy a KIDD receiver rather than send out an FFL item, then have it milled.

The Brownell receiver may be cheap, but it would not be so post mailing and milling.
Hi Rick

Thanks, I am aware that George does the milling and install as I also have a smith local to me that does them as well. My question is really this, based on the images (I have not physically handled or seen one of these) is there room to install or does the little half moon cutout on the bottom edge allow for the install.

Thanks for your feedback and the KIDD receivers are really the way to go, however with the price of these receivers and a local source to do the tang install (if possible) could be a good budget option. The thing with these 10/22's is I always have spare parts and could always build just one more...

Last edited by heartburn; 11-05-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Add Image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2021, 11:41 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah, I see what you mean.

My TI receivers have that half-moon cut out, too, and I remember seeing Sonoran/George install a KIDD tang on a TI receiver years ago.

Perhaps the protruding part (threaded section that goes into the receiver), particularly the base, needs to be reduced so as not to make the rear section of the receiver too thin when it gets milled.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:18 PM
heartburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
Ah, I see what you mean.

My TI receivers have that half-moon cut out, too, and I remember seeing Sonoran/George install a KIDD tang on a TI receiver years ago.

Perhaps the protruding part (threaded section that goes into the receiver), particularly the base, needs to be reduced so as not to make the rear section of the receiver too thin when it gets milled.
What-do-ya-know, I didn't remember my TI receivers having that but you are right. Checked George's site and there is an image of him doing the milling on a TI receiver. From the looks of it there may be enough space there to do it. If I do give this a try I will post just others know. Thanks for the discussion, looks like it is feasible.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:57 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartburn View Post
What-do-ya-know, I didn't remember my TI receivers having that but you are right. Checked George's site and there is an image of him doing the milling on a TI receiver. From the looks of it there may be enough space there to do it. If I do give this a try I will post just others know. Thanks for the discussion, looks like it is feasible.
There should be enough space- the Kidd rear tang is fastened to the receiver with a single funnel head torx screw that passes through a hole that is 5/16 below the rear cleanout hole, measured center to center of the tang screw hole and rear cleaning hole. The tang screw hole needs to be chamfered on the inside of the receiver to seat the attachment screw flush inside the receiver. The rear tang has an raised area which is roughly rectangular with rounded ends on the side that contacts the receiver. It seats into a recessed slot that needs to milled into the rear surface of the receiver for alignment. There are three different configurations of rear tang- they differ in one parameter: the slope angle at the top surface of the tang. You select the tang based on the slope of the stock you are using. If anything, the milled recess might encompass part of the area of the notch you are concerned about, but it will likely be of no consequence as the entire front surface of the tang that contacts the receiver will make full contact. If you could measure the distance between the top of the semi circular notch on your receiver and the center of the clean out hole, I can give you a better idea regarding whether or not it will work.

OR BETTER YET-

I have four spare rear tangs on hand that just happen to include all three slopes that Kidd offers, as well as a custom one that has a 90 top surface milled into it. I could box them up and ship them to you for a test fitting/measuring, as long as you promise to send them back to me when you are done. Free & Easy!

If that sounds like something youd be interested in, PM me your shipping address and Ill get them sent out on Monday.

Regards,

DrGunner
Old 11-06-2021, 08:06 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (283)
Another for DrG!!!

Doug
Old 11-07-2021, 10:43 AM
heartburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
There should be enough space- the Kidd rear tang is fastened to the receiver with a single funnel head torx screw that passes through a hole that is 5/16 below the rear cleanout hole, measured center to center of the tang screw hole and rear cleaning hole. The tang screw hole needs to be chamfered on the inside of the receiver to seat the attachment screw flush inside the receiver. The rear tang has an raised area which is roughly rectangular with rounded ends on the side that contacts the receiver. It seats into a recessed slot that needs to milled into the rear surface of the receiver for alignment. There are three different configurations of rear tang- they differ in one parameter: the slope angle at the top surface of the tang. You select the tang based on the slope of the stock you are using. If anything, the milled recess might encompass part of the area of the notch you are concerned about, but it will likely be of no consequence as the entire front surface of the tang that contacts the receiver will make full contact. If you could measure the distance between the top of the semi circular notch on your receiver and the center of the clean out hole, I can give you a better idea regarding whether or not it will work.

OR BETTER YET-

I have four spare rear tangs on hand that just happen to include all three slopes that Kidd offers, as well as a custom one that has a 90 top surface milled into it. I could box them up and ship them to you for a test fitting/measuring, as long as you promise to send them back to me when you are done. Free & Easy!

If that sounds like something youd be interested in, PM me your shipping address and Ill get them sent out on Monday.

Regards,

DrGunner
Good morning DrGunner

Thanks so much for the offer, I have a couple of rear tangs (KIDD and Victor/Titan) and as I was prepping to install a tang on a Feddersen receiver the thought of one of the Brownells receivers came up. As I went through my spare parts I realized I am basically just a receiver short of building another rifle. This made me think trying one of the budget friendly Brownells receivers may be worth a shot. Again, thank you so much for the offer to send me a test tang I believe I have that side of things covered. I will respond back to this thread with results if I do go down this avenue in case of future questions. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:15 AM
WFO62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
YES.!!!!

It is doable... I just finished doing my first by hand, as i have no milling equipment...just used a digital caliper, a Dremel tool, and hand needle files... Used a Kidd rear tang to mount it in a KRG chassis...
Old 11-18-2021, 01:03 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO62 View Post
YES.!!!!

It is doable... I just finished doing my first by hand, as i have no milling equipment...just used a digital caliper, a Dremel tool, and hand needle files... Used a Kidd rear tang to mount it in a KRG chassis...
Old 11-18-2021, 09:22 AM
heartburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO62 View Post
YES.!!!!

Very cool to hear it worked. I haven't been able to make any movement on it yet. Now, lets see pics of the rifle...
Old 11-25-2021, 09:41 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I Mickey moused one, ground tang flat, drill and tap tang , screw through cleaning hole. Clearance notch in plastic bolt stop.