New 22A-1 takedown button not returning to secure position - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:56 PM
Larks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 22A-1 takedown button not returning to secure position

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there are still a few brand new 22A-1’s still available and so I grabbed one while I could. (At AUD499.00 why wouldn’t you??)

However while cleaning prior to first shooting it I found that the takedown button will not return forward as necessary to secure the barrel in place - the only advice from the distributor so far (Grycol via the retailer) is that it would wear in as it is used.....???

To be clear, this is NOT a case of the takedown button being stiff to press to release the barrel, it is a failure to properly secure the barrel. Close examination shows that the failure of the takedown button to return to fully extended means that the barrel is only marginally held in place by fractions of a mm. It does stay in place however minimal movement of the button allows the barrel to release. As a result the barrel can not really be properly secured and I question the safety of the firearm.

I have tried to “gently” lever the button forward with as much care as possible to avoid marking or scratching the firearm and I have tried lubricating both the “mushroom” pin and the takedown button slot, however the takedown button will simply not move forward to the secure position at all.

Is anyone aware of this being a known issue and if there is an easy fix to the issue.

Although I’ve shot 22A’s before this is the first that I’ve owned - others at the club who own them have not seen this issue before.

[IMG]IMG_2685 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
I would consider it unsafe to shoot the pistol like this. Have you checked if the stud is screwed in completely? It has the tendency to walk out if not properly torqued and loctited but I guess that in your case, the stud may be too short to fit into the barrel release and be locked into it. Have a look at the stud and the inside of the release mechanism and measure if the height is right.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:02 AM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not seen that problem either. With the barrel off does the take down pin return to the proper position?
Advertisement