Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:59 AM
matlip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Member Intro-Anscutz 64 BR accuracy Problems

Hi All Anschutz experts

Just signed up to see if I can pick some of your brains for experiences and knowledge regarding my Anschutz 64 S BR .22 LR. But first of all a little about myself. I live on the out skirts of London, UK, a stones throw away from my shooting ground which is pest control in the English countryside. I started shooting in 1976, my first gun was a Webley Vulcan .22 break barrel. My Father introduced me to this because he worked on a farm and thought I would be useful if I could shoot the feral pigeons eating grain from the grain stores located on the farm. 4 decades later I am still shooting but now I have 2 .22 LR's. I have an accuracy problem with my Anschutz. I bought this rifle 2 years ago and hoped it would be the most accurate 22 LR for around the 1000.00 price tag. I had the end of the barrel screw cut for a sound mod by a very well known UK gunsmith and have been assured that his work would not have made any influence on the crown or the rifling of the barrel, so I have dismissed the screw cutting as being not a problem. I have tried about a dozen different type of rounds in it the top being Eley Tenex and Lapua Center X. My best group at 50 meters is 1 inch. This is on a still day and from a bench. I have carried out all the usual stuff cleaning the barrel etc etc. So the question is, what groupings should I get at this distance using the best suited ammo for this gun and does anyone know is there any issues with this model of Anschutz. I would like to accumulate as much user
info on this rifle to solve the in-accuracy problem with it and the last resort would be to ask Anschutz for a replacement. My Rimfiire Magic Ruger 10/22 with a Volquartsen barrel puts bullet on top of bullet at 50 yards and that's with a few different brands as well, so I know it's not me!

Thanks in advance, Matthew.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome, Matthew. I'm certainly not an expert. Your rifle should be performing much better than you describe. Have you determined if the crown is good? The rifle is magazine fed. Do the rounds enter the chamber smoothly, without the bullet getting nicked going into the chamber? Have you tried the rifle with a different scope/mounts?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:14 AM
pharaoh2

Lethbridge, Alberta. Where traffic lights roam.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you tried shooting it without the suppresor and gotten the same results? The crown is the most important thing to look at as a small nick can throw a bullet off and is the first thing I look for when I hear of accuracy problem. Then I check the action screws and rings and bases. Next I'll check the barrel channel. Its possible too if you are using a scope that it is faulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 08:26 AM
matlip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Guys

Glad to hear these suggestions, this is the plan;

1. Waiting for another calm day.
2. I have very expensive new scope to mount on it with 52 mag to see if I can see the bullet doing the loop the loop etc.
3. I will try using and not using the mod and a different one as well.
4. I will try and post a photo of the close up of the crown.
5. Yes, it's mag fed and I will insert the rounds separately by hand.

Thanks for your input, speak soon.......Matthew.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matlip View Post
Hi Guys

Glad to hear these suggestions, this is the plan;

1. Waiting for another calm day.
2. I have very expensive new scope to mount on it with 52 mag to see if I can see the bullet doing the loop the loop etc.
3. I will try using and not using the mod and a different one as well.
4. I will try and post a photo of the close up of the crown.
5. Yes, it's mag fed and I will insert the rounds separately by hand.

Thanks for your input, speak soon.......Matthew.
The gunsmith that did the work on the barrel,have they done the same type of work on other shooters Anschutz's?
Also I take it since you didn't say that you didn't shoot the rifle prior to the work being performed,so you can not compare before and after.
Even with all the suggestions above that rifle should shoot in 1/2" range. can you shoot groups at 25 yds. to see if you get any reduction in group size. at 25yds. it should shoot like your 10/22 otherwise I would suspect the barrel.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Have you checked the action screws? If they are not properly tightened it can be the problem.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Even with a suppressor, the bullet can be affected when it leaves the suppressor. Not all of the gasses escape until the bullet if free from the tube. Knowing how all of this works, I would never put one on any of my extremely accurate rifles. Now you might find one that works for you, but it very well could be your suppressor.

I would start low on your action screw torque as well.. Start at 12 in. lbs. and work your way up.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
There has been some discussion in this forum regarding the addition of a suppressor and it's effect on accuracy. Do a search on "suppressor" and the name "Steve B". Have you slugged the bore?
Old 06-07-2015, 02:06 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wouldn't the addition of a suppressor act somewhat like a barrel tuner, altering the barrel vibrations (even though it is a lot lighter)? In this case, it might be causing detrimental vibratory effects. I'm with Gizzy on this one; I'd never screw anything onto what is undoubtedly a very accurate barrel.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:49 PM
dieselten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you have any results from before the theeading job?

There is a reason the the Anschutz USA factory takes extra effort to thread the muzzles, by recessing the actual crown back to where the barrel is full outside diameter. You have just taken a barrel almost 1" diameter and reduced it by half, in a very critical area where the Anschutz factory takes extra effort to make the barrel muzzle outside diameter larger- to give a slight "choke" effect to the rifling. The actual crown could be perfect yet the barrel could become less accurate due to the loss of the choke.

Check the scope, rings, crown, action screw torque, your shooting technique, and anything else you can think of. But you may wind up cutting the threads off. Anschutz will not replace the rifle or the barrel after you threaded it. Even if the barrel is bad.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Bob Smalser
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How about providing a closeup of the muzzle-crown-threads to evaluate?

Muzzle work isn't as straightforward as your smith suggests. For example, one can cut a perfectly plumb crown, but if the muzzle facing isn't also perfect, accuracy will be spotty:

Same with suppressors. When installed on M21 Service Rifles they could improve accuracy, but only if they were sized correctly. And a standard accurizing procedure for the same rifle sans suppressor is reaming out the flash hider so it has less effect on the turbulence of the gasses exiting the muzzle.

I'd take your current targets plus the test target that came with the rifle back to your gunsmith for him to evaluate. I suspect he owes you a new barrel.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Pender View Post
Wouldn't the addition of a suppressor act somewhat like a barrel tuner, altering the barrel vibrations (even though it is a lot lighter)? In this case, it might be causing detrimental vibratory effects. I'm with Gizzy on this one; I'd never screw anything onto what is undoubtedly a very accurate barrel.

Its not just the change in barrel harmonics as you mentioned, but when the bullet exits, even though it is not touching anything in the suppressor, there will still be gasses that will push there way through, and if that suppressor is not square on the end like a good crown would be, then it can also alter how the bullet flies.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Keep in mind that having a rifle threaded and a suppressor added is standard procedure among British hunters. It would be considered rude to fire a rifle without suppressor and create unnecessary noise polution and hence could get the shooter in trouble.

But despite threading a rifle for a suppressor being a standard procedure for an experienced gunsmith in Great Britain maybe something went wrong and I would start checking the easiest and most obvious things first:

-Barrel torque
-crown
-bullet feeding
-scope and mount

Last edited by Andyd; 06-09-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:29 PM
matlip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Insert photo

Can someone please explain to me how I can insert a photo into a reply. I've tried insert image icon but only http comes up. I would like to upload one straight from my desktop.

Images of my crown/muzzle thread.

Cheers.......
Old 06-09-2015, 03:42 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Can't do it from the desktop but you can read how to post pictures here....

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=364702

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlip View Post
Can someone please explain to me how I can insert a photo into a reply. I've tried insert image icon but only http comes up. I would like to upload one straight from my desktop.

Images of my crown/muzzle thread.

Cheers.......