My 2021-2022 late summer, fall, winter squirrel harvest thread - Page 29 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 10-23-2021, 10:17 PM
squirrel1's Avatar
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
Tn
Posts: 
1,604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
Afternoon hunt.
Bagged one female fox squirrel.
Headshot.
Fired one time.
Only squirrel I saw. Heard one more barking.
Again saw more deer than squirrels.

Brings career harvest to 51,478.
Season total to 158.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ckwBCwj2VY
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 10-24-2021, 12:38 PM
squirrel1's Avatar
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
Tn
Posts: 
1,604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Morning hunt.
Bagged one- male gray.
Fired one time.
Headshot.
Saw 3 fox squirrels and 1 or 2 grays.
One red fox - in video.

Brings career harvest to 51, 479.
Season total to 159.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQLMKN4pCms
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 10-24-2021, 02:22 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Posts: 
585
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Good morning to hunt mostly but the wind set in for a while but let up around 10 am . Saw maybe 7 squirrels got one shot on the ground got her young sow . Could not pick up on the squirrels in the trees for the wind just enuff to hide there movement. Had a total of 6 deer come through a couple were within 30 feet of me none farther that 20 yds .
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 10-24-2021, 04:13 PM
jm17
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2015
Location: 
NE TENNESSEE
Posts: 
453
TPC Rating: 
93% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Shifty View Post
Good morning to hunt mostly but the wind set in for a while but let up around 10 am . Saw maybe 7 squirrels got one shot on the ground got her young sow . Could not pick up on the squirrels in the trees for the wind just enuff to hide there movement. Had a total of 6 deer come through a couple were within 30 feet of me none farther that 20 yds .
If you were deer hunting you would be surrounded by squirrels with not a deer in sight.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 10-24-2021, 06:22 PM
squirrel1's Avatar
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
Tn
Posts: 
1,604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm17 View Post
If you were deer hunting you would be surrounded by squirrels with not a deer in sight.
Bingo!

Need over under crossbow under and rimfire on top. Lol
That would teach em.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Posts: 
585
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm17 View Post
If you were deer hunting you would be surrounded by squirrels with not a deer in sight.

HaHA, You are right on that for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 10-24-2021, 07:05 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Posts: 
585
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Bingo!

Need over under crossbow under and rimfire on top. Lol
That would teach em.
Hey now that's an idea !
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 10-24-2021, 07:09 PM
squirrel1's Avatar
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
Tn
Posts: 
1,604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was teenager. I would go deer hunting sit in treestand and see 20 squirrels (close) and no deer. Next morning take 22 only to same treestand and see zero squirrels and see deer,.

So what I started doing was taking 30-30 and 22 rifle to tree stand.
Then I would see neither squirrels or deer.

Btw picked up around 4 more gallons (nut only) from my favorite hickory tree (shell bark). I might be able to muster in couple weeks 4 more gallons of nuts.

Should turn out to be around 14 gallons of nuts only after hulls removed from this one shell bark tree.

Going to measure the goodies in good measuring cup and see just how many volume wise I get when I process these.
Thinking around 3.5 gallons of goodies, we’ll see.

Last edited by squirrel1; 10-24-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 10-24-2021, 08:35 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Posts: 
585
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
When I was teenager. I would go deer hunting sit in treestand and see 20 squirrels (close) and no deer. Next morning take 22 only to same treestand and see zero squirrels and see deer,.

So what I started doing was taking 30-30 and 22 rifle to tree stand.
Then I would see neither squirrels or deer.

Btw picked up around 4 more gallons (nut only) from my favorite hickory tree (shell bark). I might be able to muster in couple weeks 4 more gallons of nuts.

Should turn out to be around 14 gallons of nuts only after hulls removed from this one shell bark tree.

Going to measure the goodies in good measuring cup and see just how many volume wise I get when I process these.
Thinking around 3.5 gallons of goodies, we’ll see.
Sure wish we had mast here like you have over there squirrel .
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 10-24-2021, 10:12 PM
squirrel1's Avatar
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
Tn
Posts: 
1,604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Shifty View Post
Sure wish we had mast here like you have over there squirrel .
Yeah.
Walnuts in the hulls big a baseballs. Hickory nuts galore.
The squirrels here can eat this year’s hickory winter after this one coming if there are no nuts next summer. There are that many. Most I have ever seen. No year even close.
Walnuts galore. Monsters too on many trees.
Some walnuts (with green hull on) so big I don’t know if a gray squirrel can pack. Or climb up in a tree with.
Buckeyes galore.
Hackberry galore.
Persimmons galore.
Acorns galore. Deer should be getting fat.
Osage orange don’t seem to have beared real well though.

Jay birds are in heaven eating all the beech mash there is.

Zillions of nuts here.

Btw, seems my shellbark nuts I picked up few years ago, they stayed good (very high percentage) for around 17 months. And they were stored outside with hulls removed. In the wild if hull stays on little longer this time of 17 months could be extended. At 18 month point a good 25 percent of nuts were bad. At 19 months a good 60 percent of nuts were bad. A good sample size too was taken to get a good felling of how long the nuts were good for human and squirrel consumption.

Last edited by squirrel1; 10-24-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 10-25-2021, 06:31 PM
squirrel1's Avatar
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
Tn
Posts: 
1,604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SUper super windy here today. No hunting.
So experimented with some shag bark nuts.
In pan below.
Btw.
Time I spent getting this amount of goodies out of the shag bark. If same time spent doing shell bark pan would have been totally full. Big difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2A6F75B-8AB4-45CC-951F-69B1C382F79C.jpg (518.2 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 10-25-2021, 08:10 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Posts: 
585
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Man some good eatin right there, stormed here today .
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 10-26-2021, 07:05 AM
Technician1

Join Date: 
Feb 2020
Posts: 
771
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Getting out today!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:34 AM
squirrel1's Avatar
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2005
Location: 
Tn
Posts: 
1,604
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician1 View Post
Getting out today!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll go later today. Bucks galore here, bigger ones too. HAve to make my mind up to go squirrel hunting or deer hunting. Wind is still up here somewhat. Should lay nice for tomorrow. Before another 2 day deluge of rain.
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 10-26-2021, 04:05 PM
Technician1

Join Date: 
Feb 2020
Posts: 
771
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
seen 3, no shots fired.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x