Were all factory engraved Woodsmen, Match Target, etc. Signed? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:59 PM
Cowboy66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Were all factory engraved Woodsmen, Match Target, etc. Signed?

I have recently acquired a Colt Match Target that is engraved. I am curious if it was engraved by the factory, would it be signed in some way? Current Colt Custom Shop "standard" engraving is signed "Colt Engraved." While Colt Master engraving is signed by the engraver. Did the same apply to a Second Generation Colt Match Target manufactured in 1951? If it isn't factory engraved, I would think it would have been signed somewhere. Unfortunately, it isn't.

Last edited by Cowboy66; 06-18-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:19 PM
icdux1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Letter

I am unfamiliar with the protocol for factory engraving, but since you have no replyís I will give my opinion. Most factory engraved guns I have seen will be obvious if the engraving is factory, especially around the trade Mark and the script on the barrel/receiver. In my opinion factory engraving is laid out to enhance and not detract from these areas. Even if you suspect itís factory engraved, you need to letter the gun to verify , as it will increase the value of the gun above the price of the letter. If non factory, the value will be determined by the quality of the engraving alone. Just my opinion. Letís see it ?
Old 06-20-2021, 12:51 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
According to Bob Rayburn, colt22.com, fewer than 250 Woodsmans were factory engraved, and, of those, 151were first-series pistols. Given the production numbers, a factory-engraved Woodsman of any series is indeed rare.

For authentication, file a request for a 'factory letter" with the Colt historian. It will cost you a few bucks and you'll have to be patient for a response. All of that will be worth it it your gun is actually factory-engraved as its value will soar incredibly.

Bob Rayburn was gracious enough to check his factory records to confirm that my first-series target model was indeed factory-engraved prior to my obtaining the factory etter. He said out of the many requests he's fielded, mine was the only one that turned out to be a factory job. I did follow-up and get the letter from Colt.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2021, 10:17 PM
Cowboy66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the Replies

Thank you both for the replies. I have requested a Colt Archive Letter. It would be amazing if it was factory engraved, but I am not holding my breath. While the added value would be a nice bonus, it is not the reason for the question. I am actually more interested in who the engraver was as I consider their work, art.

Photos:
Right...

Left...

Bottom...

Top...
Old 06-21-2021, 10:36 AM
icdux1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice one

Well that is certainly first quality work. I suspect it is not factory. If you will just glance at the horse logo....you must kinda look for it. Again Iím no expert, but most factory engraved guns cut a wide margin around the factory markings, when done properly it actually draws the eye to the area. Again Iím no expert, and the above is just my observation. What a beautiful gun, and the short barrel version to boot !
Old 06-21-2021, 07:08 PM
Cowboy66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
icdux1, I see your point. Just wish whomever did the work would have signed it in some way.

And thanks, I'm quite fond of it.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:02 PM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very classy ! 👍
Old 10-01-2021, 11:06 AM
Grayrock

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have you heard anything back regarding your letter request?
Old 10-10-2021, 01:50 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful Woodsman. The rear sight seems crazy high in the side views.

Last edited by Baltimoreed11754; 10-10-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
RTH1800

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice Woodsman. It's not factory engraved. Still a great find.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice find
- Have you looked under the grips?
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
eveb if not factory done it was professionally done and looks first rate , im not into engraved but i would be proud to own that one , very tasteful