shot my mkII for the first time - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
shot my mkII for the first time

after shooting my ruger for the first time i'm ready to clean it... do I use a bore brush or just swab it good and wipe it good? it shot great and I don't want to compromise the accuracy... all answers welcome.....

jjb
Old 09-26-2021, 07:40 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just use a bore snake a lot of the time.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:00 PM
tominboise
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bore snake it after every range outing and brush it when I tear it down. Which isn't all that often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2021, 11:49 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeh just clean the bore and it will run fine for thousands of rounds. Wipe the exposed bolt areas and lube from time to time. They are a pain to take down mainly because the pin can be tight and twisting can break off the mainspring piece that it's attached to. I know, I broke one. Tap from the top with a plastic mallet instead of pulling to get it loose. You really don't need to separate the two pieces to get the bolt out once the mainspring is out the bolt comes out the back and you can clean from the rear. What loosens them up is separating the top and bottom a lot but even so they can be fine for years anyways.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the replies... ya it looks like s REAL pita to tear a ruger mkII down... I think i'll swab the heck out of the barrel with hopes and dry patches and wipe the muzzle and bolt down like suggested... any tricks on cleaning the inside of the receiver just behind the bolt .. I had three or four misfires with federal bulk ammo but they all went the second time they were tried.... hoppes and remoil will be it for now.... still have a model 27 s&w to clean to but I can do that a lot easier than the mkII

jjb
Old 09-27-2021, 07:52 AM
skwerl58
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a bore snake and swab down the internals with a Hoppe coated swab. then swab out all the excess. After a few hundered rounds I will use a polymer pick to clean the area around the chamber and receiver. I use very limited oil in the internals. As far as the complete tear down and mainspring removal I have torn mine down with no issues and then next time it can be a little frustrating. Don't tear it down if it doesn't need it but needs to be cleaned good at times.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:47 AM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I hardly ever take my MKII's apart. I use a bore snake so I don't damage the muzzle. I use Rem Dry Lube. Oil collects dirt and carbon which builds up an then you are forced to take it apart. Taking a MKII apart is easy once you understand the process. I've been doing it for 50 years.
A polymer pick is a good idea.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:29 PM
RodJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I pretty much leave the barrel alone. Maybe run a hoppes patch through it and then dry patches once in a while. It simply doesn’t get dirty with decent ammunition that has a wax or other lube. What I don’t want to do is damage the muzzle and some argue that a bore snake can carry embedded particles. I used to use one after most range sessions but not really anymore.

One thing that I do do (I said doodoo) is bend a 22 call brush and give the chamber a little cleaning. The breach face and bolt get a small nylon brush and a toothpick every now and then.

Last I will occasionally give the trigger internals a soaking of hoppes or other solvent then blast it clean as best I can. A little aluminum blast shield is easy to make and install to keep that area cleaner longer and avoid gritty trigger mechanics.

Very little lube is needed. Just a bit on the bolt.

But darn it the thing just runs and runs.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:19 PM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are low maintenance, but every now and then it's worth it to break it down and get the innards cleaned up better. Once you get used to it, you can break one down in seconds, and assembly is seconds more.

Easier to clean the chamber with the barrel off as well, and then you can get anything off the firing assembly components while you are at it.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:31 PM
Outbuilding
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you dry fire or shoot a Ruger Mk pistol, the bolt, when it slams forward after shooting, moves the barrel and receiver forward a tiny bit each time it happens. Just dry firing it will also do it. When I take mine down, I take the plastic mallet I have and tap the barrel rearward a couple of times. This makes the removal of the locking pin much easier. Try it next time you disassemble yours.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Old 10-13-2021, 05:26 PM
RodJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbuilding View Post
When you dry fire or shoot a Ruger Mk pistol, the bolt, when it slams forward after shooting, moves the barrel and receiver forward a tiny bit each time it happens. Just dry firing it will also do it. When I take mine down, I take the plastic mallet I have and tap the barrel rearward a couple of times. This makes the removal of the locking pin much easier. Try it next time you disassemble yours.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Never heard of this before. Thanks for posting that.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:17 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used the Patchworm for years. Works like a champ.

http://www.patchworm.com/patchworm.html