More thoughts on NRL22 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:41 AM
SgtH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have been attending some NRL22 matches at our local club and having a lot of fun. Our club lets you run what you brung and most care little about their scores eligibility to be posted, though there are a few that do. The rules have already undergone changes since inception. Initially if your rifle/scope was out of production it automatically put you in open class. Guess too many complaints about this. Now certain out of production models are allowed as determined by a board. I imagine this will be a constantly moving target and will be modified again. You are at the mercy of a board decision that the rifle you use this year will be on the approved list next year, wow! You read through all the rules and I understand why some would be discouraged. Seems it was never intended for anyone to remain in base class. Open class in this and other disciplines has always been an equipment race. Given equal ability the deeper your pockets the better your chances of finishing on top.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:34 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtH View Post
Given equal ability the deeper your pockets the better your chances of finishing on top.
Yes it's true for many shooting disciplines and it's a shame. Although I will say that, in general, the top shooters could do pretty well with mediocre equipment (with good ammo) but there's a reason they're using the best equipment

One of the reasons I liked shooting CMP Rimfire Sporter so much was that you didn't need the best equipment and ammo to score well. That makes it a fun match IMO

Old 05-09-2021, 09:50 PM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the things that quickly turns me off from a competitive venue is the inevitable equipment race.
I shoot nrl base class, and as of now in no danger of being good enough to worry about winning anything. I am in it for the fun.
However, I agree nrl22 organizationally is a bit of a racquet.
They talk about it being developed as a low cost alternative to center fire prs, but then charge I think it is$70 for annual dues and have heard entry fees for some matches run as high as 200 dollars or more.

As such I am not a member and shoot base class at my local club for fun.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:57 AM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
There are four NRL22 match venues within a 2-hour drive of me. Three of them charge $15 match fees and one charges $20. Pretty reasonable, I'd say. And they all submit scores to NRL HQ.

One neat thing about being a member and having scores submitted is, it puts you in play for their monthly prize drawing. I have several friends who have won nice things - one guy won a TBAC suppressor, another a Weibad shooting bag, and a couple have won steel target sets. They even give away guns from time to time.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:49 PM
T0rtuga
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
They talk about it being developed as a low cost alternative to center fire prs, but then charge I think it is$70
I just checked my invoice for this year...$85 + $9.90 shipping for free stuff.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:09 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rtuga View Post
I just checked my invoice for this year...$85 + $9.90 shipping for free stuff.
I just joined this year and I'm pretty disappointed in the organization overall. I paid 85 bucks for a membership in May and finally got my "Welcome package" earlier this week. A couple stickers (advertisements), some postcards with advertisements on them, a membership card, a couple DOPE cards, and a baseball hat. I don't wear baseball hats, so I gave it away to someone who does.

Whatever, the bigger issue to me is that I never got any communication from them about anything. I wasn't aware of their monthly giveaways or anything else. Every single organization I have ever interacted with will at least send me communications via email to keep me in the loop on what is happening. Nothing but crickets from them. (Yes, I contacted them and gave them this feedback)

I love shooting the matches, and our local matches are very well run. But I won't spend another 85 bucks on a membership again.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:23 PM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post
I just joined this year and I'm pretty disappointed in the organization overall. I paid 85 bucks for a membership in May and finally got my "Welcome package" earlier this week. A couple stickers (advertisements), some postcards with advertisements on them, a membership card, a couple DOPE cards, and a baseball hat. I don't wear baseball hats, so I gave it away to someone who does.

Whatever, the bigger issue to me is that I never got any communication from them about anything. I wasn't aware of their monthly giveaways or anything else. Every single organization I have ever interacted with will at least send me communications via email to keep me in the loop on what is happening. Nothing but crickets from them. (Yes, I contacted them and gave them this feedback)

I love shooting the matches, and our local matches are very well run. But I won't spend another 85 bucks on a membership again.
Since you don't need to be a member to shoot the matches, (except for getting an invite to Nationals) it sounds like it's not for you. I want to go to Nationals and that's my reason. As far as the monthly stuff, check out the Facebook page, it's where all the info they give out is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2021, 10:51 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy308 View Post
Since you don't need to be a member to shoot the matches, (except for getting an invite to Nationals) it sounds like it's not for you. I want to go to Nationals and that's my reason. As far as the monthly stuff, check out the Facebook page, it's where all the info they give out is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Well, I am interested in nationals, and I'm also interested in comparing my monthly match scores to everyone else across the country. That's why I joined in the first place.

Forcing members to go on facebook to find information is straight up laziness. I understand it's easy if you're a grass roots organization, but why the 85 dollar membership fee in the first place then? Their website is dog slow, and to compare monthly scores I have to edit a google doc myself.

Not everyone is interested in using facebook. The least they could do is put together a monthly newsletter to send out to membership.

20-30 bucks and tell me to go to facebook, sure, ok. 85 bucks for a fricking baseball hat and tell me to go to facebook? Ripoff. Nationals or not, I won't send them 85 bucks next year.

EDIT: One other thing - when I joined I didn't hear anything from them. Not even an email saying "Thanks for joining, if you want info, got to our facebook group". I had to hear about the facebook from other people. Just a poor customer experience altogether.

Last edited by pmpski_1; 10-11-2021 at 10:59 PM.