Ammo dirty? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:05 PM
Traveling Fisher
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo dirty?

My experience with 17 WSM ammo is that I get heavy carbon fouling from a day of prairie dogging. Also copper fouling. All ammonium is made by Winchester as I understand it. Last week I also used Winchester 223 ammo while prairie digging and found that exceptionally dirty also. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2021, 10:08 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Yes l agree, the 17 wsm ammo is pretty dirty and using in a Volquartsen semi auto the guns chamber area and barrel needs to be cleaned quite frequently for it to function correctly. I canít speak to the copper fouling.

Until the the last year or so our PD/squirrel shoots have mostly been using the 17 hmr and you can shoot a lot more rounds of the hmr before cleaning. I contribute a lot of this to using semi autos, but could be wrong.

Wonderdog1
Old 09-29-2021, 05:50 PM
Traveling Fisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo dirty?

I agree. My 17 hmr a are nowhere near as dirty and can clean up quickly. Waiting on a 17 Hornet which I predict will be as clean as the hmr with the range and power of the wsm. Maybe more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2021, 03:07 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Fisher View Post
I agree. My 17 hmr a are nowhere near as dirty and can clean up quickly. Waiting on a 17 Hornet which I predict will be as clean as the hmr with the range and power of the wsm. Maybe more

If you get your 17 Hornet l think you will be pleasantly surprised. I bought and used mine while the 17 wsm caliber was suffering through the first B-mags that hit the market. The 17 Hornet ammo was hard to come buy and pretty pricey. I donít reload and the volume of shells l was going through in the PD fields made me go back to the HMR. I then purchased a Volquartsen in 17 wsm and found l no longer even shot my 17 Hornet and sold it. Not saying l didnít like the 17 Hornet, but for my use and pocketbook the the 17 wsm filled that void perfectly.

Just my 2 cents.
Wonderdog1
Old 10-04-2021, 11:21 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Fisher View Post
My experience with 17 WSM ammo is that I get heavy carbon fouling from a day of prairie dogging. Also copper fouling. All ammonium is made by Winchester as I understand it. Last week I also used Winchester 223 ammo while prairie digging and found that exceptionally dirty also. Anyone else notice this?
It is rf ammo, and it is made by Winchester, so thats 2 reasons why IMO.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:15 AM
Traveling Fisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I get that but my experience with .223 by Winchester was the same. What are they doing with powder?

Old 10-05-2021, 11:43 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I cleaned my BMag for the first time since getting everything put together and sighted in, a lot of carbon fouling no real sign of copper though I expected it, used Al's Qtip trick along with Dr.Gunners .17 cleaning gear. Will be interesting to see how it shoots next time out.

Yes Winchester ammo is about as dirty as it gets in my experience.