Magnum Barrels? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:25 PM
CB900F
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magnum Barrels?

Fella's;

I'm now, finally, getting serious about completing my CZ452 lefty .22 magnum project. The gun itself is obviously going to need a new barrel as CZ did not see fit to produce a left handed .22 magnum that I know of. Because of past experience, I'd originally thought to go with a Lilja barrel, I'm very happy with the one on my custom 6.5 Swede. However, I've also realized that the crappie state of .22 magnum ammo may make that a rather overkill expensive solution. No sense in fronting for a premium tube when there's no premium ammo to run through it. Gilding the lily as it were, no?

So, who all makes .22 magnum barrels for the CZ452's? Who's got experience with them?

Thanks, 900F
Old 04-19-2017, 03:58 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As for factory barrels... Price is generally around $130 - $160... and that includes a magazine, and spacer if needed. Includes a tool to change it with. Basically everything needed for a basic installation.

Midway carries CZ barrels.
http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearc...temsPerPage=48

Or, straight from CZ USA
https://shop.cz-usa.com/cz-products/...55-barrel-sets

Last edited by n2omike; 04-19-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM
DutchCZnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only problem is that the subject is not a switch-barrel 455, but a 452 with a threaded barrel. Which means that virtually any barrel could be made to fit. It also means that a small magazine 22lr 452 requires more work than just a barrel or it becomes a single shot rifle. A 455 with a standard CZ varmint barrel can be quite accurate with a little luck in the ammo department. My varmint th has produced groups of five shots touching at 100 meters, the challenge is to do that each and every time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Aftermarket barrels for a 452?
Have to be custom cut wouldn't it?
Threaded fit barrel to receiver...

Last edited by jaia; 04-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:10 PM
CB900F
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fella's;

The base rifle just needs a barrel switch, the rest is compatible with the .22 magnum cartridge. Considerations of magazines & such do not apply in this case.

What I was hoping for was some manufacturers names and feedback about their barrels from users. I'll now proceed to give a couple of extreme examples of what I was hoping for.

"I bought a Worst Barrel Company Ever's Bad Boy .22 magnum barrel that was completely unacceptable. The bore was square! When I called them, they told me that I didn't specify a round bore, so it's my problem!!"

"The Simply Divine Barrel I purchased is wonderful!! The bullets come out the muzzle with little halos, and you can track them to the target by that feature. Of course, all shots go into the same hole, that's why I bought it regardless of the expense. "

900F
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 PM
djdilliodon

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
For a 22 magnum barrel, I'd go for a lilja blank.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCZnut View Post
Only problem is that the subject is not a switch-barrel 455, but a 452 with a threaded barrel. Which means that virtually any barrel could be made to fit. It also means that a small magazine 22lr 452 requires more work than just a barrel or it becomes a single shot rifle. A 455 with a standard CZ varmint barrel can be quite accurate with a little luck in the ammo department. My varmint th has produced groups of five shots touching at 100 meters, the challenge is to do that each and every time...
Well, crap... I read right over the fact that he is building a 452.
Yea, a 455 would have been a lot easier. lol

My only advice, is to listen to Don. (DJ, who commented right before I did)
He's a tremendous resource! ...and a great guy!

Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM
PGW_Steve

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've got a Lilja barrel on a 10/22 Magnum and it is incredibly accurate. I picked up a Lilja .22 Mag drop in for a 455 Canadian and it is a shooter as well. I need to bed the receiver and I'm sure that will tighten it up that last little bit.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your options will be limited, as you know.

CZ-USA doesn't presently sell 452 barrels on their web site.

I'd call them, and see what they might have. It will probably be a fraction of the Lilija barrel. And as you know the CZ factory barrels often are super tack drivers. If you get one, try it before investing in bluing and stuff.. If it shoots your in business...if not a great barrel sell it on e-bay.

(some MT dude told me to do this with my 10-22 BEFORE spending the rent money on a custom barrel...and it worked)

I made up a sniper rifle using Lilija barrel in 308....very disappointing. Maybe there RF barrels have better QC?????

See you in the gopher fields CB.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I have rebarreled many different rifles (not CZs). I have owned rifles with Shilen and Krieger barrels. I have been happy with two different Shilen barrels. One of them went on a custom built 10/22 Magnum. I turned a (17 HMR/22 WMR) V-block mount, switchbarrel rifle into a screw in barrel, single cartridge rifle (22 WMR). It greatly improved accuracy. It came needing to be threaded and chambered by my gunsmith. This is pretty normal if you buy any of the fine quality aftermarket barrels.

Rebarreling my Ruger No. 1A in 222 Rem. with a Shilen barrel, turned that rifle from a mediocre rifle to what you all call a tack driver (essentially a 1V) capable of sub-1/2 MOA at 100 yards. If I rebarrel any other rifle in the future, I plan to try a Benchmark barrel. I have heard excellent reports on their product and they are local to me.

Last edited by Onearm; 04-25-2017 at 12:54 PM.