Call out to Steyr Forester Owners - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:41 AM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Call out to Steyr Forester Owners

Just obligated to purchase an excellent condition Steyr Forester, wood stock model chambered in 7mm-08. Intending to set this one up for use by my wife to hunt in the stand with me for white tails. I already reload another 7mm chambering for myself, so hopefully can work up some loads that will work well for her in this rifle. Just need to pick up some brass. Had her fitted for a shotgun a few years ago, intend to send this rifle to be cut down to her size after we confirm it’s good to go for her. Wondering what anyone here might be able to say regarding their thoughts and experiences with this model. Thx
Old 11-29-2021, 08:41 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I bought one of these used from a big LGS in Paducah, KY (1995 I believe). It is a .243. It is a wonderful rifle. I gifted it to my son when he graduated HS. He has shot several deer with it and then his oldest son shot deer with it. His youngest, now 9 years old is next in line next year.

Great handling, smooth action, accurate. An heirloom in my opinion. I paid $450 those 26 years ago and was happy to do so.

Congratulations!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:46 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
His has the rosewood fore end tip and grip cap. Nice checkering too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2021, 09:13 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thx bowwild for your feedback. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one, and trying it out. It was an impulse buy, but I think I did ok. Not a lot of good used 7mm-08 chambered rifles available out there these days. Had originally been looking for a 7X57mm (7mm Mauser) but none of the rifles I found in this chambering appealed to me, and the factory loads are stupid $ now. The 7mm-08 seems a good alternative. From what write-ups I can find, this Steyr ought to do at least as well as the upper middle class bolt rifles generally available off-the-shelf.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:05 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I thought no your 7m-08 is a great option, I would prefer that over .243.