Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-27-2021, 03:05 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Any tips reloading .45-70 cases?

Recently started reloading for my Pedersoli Quigley replica, in .45-70. Is there any tricks in getting the neck tension just right, so that bullets don't slide down, when crimping them? Seems like it's a dance trying to get the neck tension correct.

I also use the Lee Factory Crimp, which does a great job, when I'm not fighting gravity, dropping the bullets too low.

I'm using 405 gr. flat nose Brazos bullets, along with AA 5744 powder.

thanks
Old 11-27-2021, 03:28 PM
snipin101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know about brazos but is it a cast or jacketed bullet? Either way in my Pedersoli I have never crimped anything. Since it's a single shot I have never seen the need and adds more to working the brass. I don't hunt but only target shoot and mine seems to prefer a cast bullet sized to .460 pushed by universal powder.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2021, 03:29 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post
Recently started reloading for my Pedersoli Quigley replica, in .45-70. Is there any tricks in getting the neck tension just right, so that bullets don't slide down, when crimping them? Seems like it's a dance trying to get the neck tension correct.

I also use the Lee Factory Crimp, which does a great job, when I'm not fighting gravity, dropping the bullets too low.

I'm using 405 gr. flat nose Brazos bullets, along with AA 5744 powder.

thanks
Seat and crimp in two separate operations. Get all your bullets seated, then remove the seating stem and set the die up for the amount of crimp you want, although for a single shot I don't think I would crimp much, if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2021, 03:33 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipin101 View Post
I don't know about brazos but is it a cast or jacketed bullet? Either way in my Pedersoli I have never crimped anything. Since it's a single shot I have never seen the need and adds more to working the brass. I don't hunt but only target shoot and mine seems to prefer a cast bullet sized to .460 pushed by universal powder.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
The bullets are cast lead, but they have a coating known as Hi-Tek (that they claim doesn't need lube)...it's gold colored.

https://www.brazosprecision.com/45-7...llet_p_25.html
Old 11-27-2021, 03:37 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Seat and crimp in two separate operations. Get all your bullets seated, then remove the seating stem and set the die up for the amount of crimp you want, although for a single shot I don't think I would crimp much, if at all.
I've heard crimping gives a more uniform ignition, that is supposed to give better SD, than un-crimped, but I don't know?
Old 11-27-2021, 03:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
This, if you are using lead bullets.
If the cases extract cleanly dont resize, just decap, tumble if you want, recap.
Powder and quantity of choice.
A tiny bit of flair will help get the new bullet to start.
By not 'resizing' the cases match the chamber, will last Far Longer and reloading goes Far quicker and easier. (but IF your cases are not extracting cleanly your load is Too Hot, back it off until they do)
More to your question regarding 'neck tension' is 'bullet fit'. Not bullet to the bore, bullet to the fully fire formed case neck.
The key:
You want, no Need, to use the largest dia cast lead bullet as will comfortably fit in a fully fire formed (to each gun's chamber) as possible and will still chamber up and extract cleanly.
This ensures that the relatively soft lead bullet closely matches the rifle chamber's All Important throat and leade.
As long as the barrel's bore groove dia. is no larger than the throat dia. the bullet will shoot as accurately as it can. Do not worry if the bore dia. is several thou' smaller than the throat, the soft'ish lead will do fine.
Ive have been using this methodology for nigh onto 2 decades now with Great Success in a bunch of calibers; several friends do the same.
I dont even bother to slug a bore any longer, I do the above and shoot. When the subject gun does not shoot well I then start looking for the issue(s). Usually it all goes well and Im on to fine tuning.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:55 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Old Lee Handloader tool ...

It has been a while since I reloaded for the .45-70, but I have an old Trapdoor and an old Lee handloading tool which I use. Memory is not that good, but I probably have the tool such that when seating the bullet the tool may turn from the vertical so that gravity is not trying to get the bullet to drop down too far. I do not remember if the tool also crimps. But I have never had a bullet drop into the case and it seems to shoot well.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Also, ditch the 5744 and try Varget or 3031.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:02 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I like 3031

I like 3031 for the .45-70
Old 11-27-2021, 04:13 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
If the cases extract cleanly dont resize, just decap, tumble if you want, recap.
By not 'resizing' the cases match the chamber, will last Far Longer and reloading goes Far quicker and easier. (but IF your cases are not extracting cleanly your load is Too Hot, back it off until they do)
More to your question regarding 'neck tension' is 'bullet fit'. Not bullet to the bore, bullet to the fully fire formed case neck.
The key:
You want, no Need, to use the largest dia cast lead bullet as will comfortably fit in a fully fire formed (to each gun's chamber) as possible and will still chamber up and extract cleanly.
This ensures that the relatively soft lead bullet closely matches the rifle chamber's All Important throat and leade.
As long as the barrel's bore groove dia. is no larger than the throat dia. the bullet will shoot as accurately as it can. Do not worry if the bore dia. is several thou' smaller than the throat, the soft'ish lead will do fine.
Ive have been using this methodology for nigh onto 2 decades now with Great Success in a bunch of calibers; several friends do the same.
I dont even bother to slug a bore any longer, I do the above and shoot. When the subject gun does not shoot well I then start looking for the issue(s). Usually it all goes well and Im on to fine tuning.
I took the fired cases, and did not resize them..... But a .459 diameter bullet, it is too small in diameter, to fill the mouth. Therefore, I did use the full length resizer, to slightly squeeze the mouth to a smaller diameter, so that the new .459 bullet, will go in under friction.

The problem is when i go to seat the bullet into the crimp groove, gravity usually causes the bullet, to drop further in the case, pass the crimp groove.....I then carefully pull the bullet just up to the crimp groove, and use the Lee factory crimp die on the case.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post
I took the fired cases, and did not resize them..... But a .459 diameter bullet, it is too small in diameter, to fill the mouth. Therefore, I did use the full length resizer, to slightly squeeze the mouth to a smaller diameter, so that the new .459 bullet, will go in under friction.

The problem is when i go to seat the bullet into the crimp groove, gravity usually causes the bullet, to drop further in the case, pass the crimp groove.....I then carefully pull the bullet just up to the crimp groove, and use the Lee factory crimp die on the case.
If the fired case will still fit easily into the chamber, then only size down to where the base of the bullet will be.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:15 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
The key:
I may try this....although, I probably would have to go to a .460, or larger diameter bullet. i don't see many of those available.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:16 PM
ingwe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Also, ditch the 5744 and try Varget or 3031.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:17 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
If the fired case will still fit easily into the chamber, then only size down to where the base of the bullet will be.
Cases easily extract.... no issues.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:18 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingwe View Post
I thought 5744 was supposed to be the powder for .45-70?