452 american problems - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:42 PM
CDslick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
452 american problems

I have a 452 that shot wonderfully right out of the box, dime size @50 using standard velocity cci. I made the mistake of fixing what wasn't broke and opened up the barrel channel further for a true free float. That caused accuracy to drop... so I tried bedding it, that made it worse. So then I sent it to a reputable gunsmith in north KC. Just got it back after they stripped out my old bedding, re-bedded and installed pillars. It still shoots like crap, 1 inch at 50... tried multiple brands of ammo.

I am at a loss as to wth is going on, anyone else have a gun go to crap after free floating?
Old 11-26-2021, 03:51 PM
SneakyHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
I feel your pain as I have done the same dumb mistake of messing around with the barrel channel trying to free float my CZ 452 American in fancy stock long time ago and regret doing it as it shot like crap after doing that to my rifle. It was shooting one hole at 25yd with SK and Wolf ammo and I should learn not to mess with an accurate rifle right out of the box.

The only suggestion I would make is to try SK and Lapua ammo in your rifle to see how it shoots. Also, you should try playing around with the torque screw and poundage to see if tightening or loosening the barrel/trigger screws will improve your accuracy. If all else fails, time to trade it in for a different rifle like I did and learn my hard lesson not to mess with an inherit accurate gun out of the box.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:00 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
It sounds like you have a carbon ring in the chamber. Lots of ways to clean it out. Do a search for it in the CZ section. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2021, 04:02 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Get some adhesive-backed sorbathane padding and try a pressure pad at the forend tip. That little black X that was at the forend under the barrel before you sanded it out was there for a reason. That was the pressure point that was created at the factory when the stock was inletted. If free floating was the answer, the factory would have gone with an oversized barrel channel rout instead of fitting the stock to the barrel. It certainly would have been quicker and cheaper. I cringe every time I see a post in the CZ forum about sanding out the barrel channel.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:05 PM
CDslick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Get some adhesive-backed sorbathane padding and try a pressure pad at the forend tip. That little black X that was at the forend under the barrel before you sanded it out was there for a reason. That was the pressure point that was created at the factory when the stock was inletted. If free floating was the answer, the factory would have gone with an oversized barrel channel rout instead of fitting the stock to the barrel. It certainly would have been quicker and cheaper. I cringe every time I see a post in the CZ forum about sanding out the barrel channel.
Wow I had no idea this was a thing, I was always taught that no contact is always best. Thank you for your reply.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:06 PM
CDslick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNO/CZluvr View Post
It sounds like you have a carbon ring in the chamber. Lots of ways to clean it out. Do a search for it in the CZ section. Best of luck.
Thanks, I will look into that !
Old 11-26-2021, 04:09 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (132)
I've made a CZ 452 American shoot worse by free floating the barrel. Ended up putting a strip of modeling clay about 1/2"wide and 4" long down the end of the barrel channel and that made a huge improvement. After doing that, most of the time it would shoot in the .2's and .3's at 25 yards with most any decent ammunition.

Hank
Old 11-26-2021, 04:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post

I’ve wondered what those markings were there for for a long time, but when I posed the question no one could answer me. So thanks.
I actually added pressure to mine. It helped. I experimented moving the rubber strips to different locations on the fore end. What do you know, over the X worked best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3AB5919-742D-472F-83B5-3BC8B472D4F1_1637962385220.jpg (351.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-26-2021, 04:40 PM
Mick89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was lucky with mine. Out of the box it was capable of 0.5 or less at 50M, didn't like the barrel channel so had it opened up and the action skim bedded. Shot 0.5 and mostly under afterward, best group being 0.22".

Now that yours is pillared etc. play around with the torque, maybe go higher in value and see what it does.

I don't like pressure points personally, no scientific reason other than I just like the idea of a free float the one thing that bugs me about my 452 varmint front barrel lug.....
Old 11-26-2021, 05:06 PM
CDslick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick89 View Post
I was lucky with mine. Out of the box it was capable of 0.5 or less at 50M, didn't like the barrel channel so had it opened up and the action skim bedded. Shot 0.5 and mostly under afterward, best group being 0.22".

Now that yours is pillared etc. play around with the torque, maybe go higher in value and see what it does.

I don't like pressure points personally, no scientific reason other than I just like the idea of a free float the one thing that bugs me about my 452 varmint front barrel lug.....
Thanks for your response, I don't understand what torque actually does? if it is pillar bedded, I would think that its just simple stable.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:08 PM
CDslick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
I've made a CZ 452 American shoot worse by free floating the barrel. Ended up putting a strip of modeling clay about 1/2"wide and 4" long down the end of the barrel channel and that made a huge improvement. After doing that, most of the time it would shoot in the .2's and .3's at 25 yards with most any decent ammunition.

Hank
Wow, I still cannot understand why...
Old 11-26-2021, 05:13 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (132)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDslick View Post
Wow, I still cannot understand why...
I believe the "why" has to do with the vibration of the barrel when a round is fired. Lots of variables. A bunch of information on the benchrest shooting forums. They use tuners to get better accuracy.

Hank
Old 11-26-2021, 05:16 PM
Mick89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDslick View Post
Thanks for your response, I don't understand what torque actually does? if it is pillar bedded, I would think that its just simple stable.
With pillar bedding you could torque it too lightly. In an non-bedded stock the wood should 'crush' a little with a lighter torque, giving it a decent amount of support. With pillars bedding, too light on the screws can cause the action to move slightly from shot to shot, or loosen completely over time.

Think of a nut and bolt, a wooden non-bedded stock would be similar to having a spring washer in between...a pillar bedded stock would be like having no spring washer, for it to hold tight you generally need to go firmer on the screws
Old 11-26-2021, 05:18 PM
CDslick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick89 View Post
With pillar bedding you could torque it too lightly. In an non-bedded stock the wood should 'crush' a little with a lighter torque, giving it a decent amount of support. With pillars bedding, too light on the screws can cause the action to move slightly from shot to shot, or loosen completely over time.

Think of a nut and bolt, a wooden non-bedded stock would be similar to having a spring washer in between...a pillar bedded stock would be like having no spring washer, for it to hold tight you generally need to go firmer on the screws
Makes sense, I will have to check the torque. Thanks
Old 11-26-2021, 05:27 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The only barrels i have that like to be 'floated' are my stainless kidd barrel 10/22s, i still have some support for them 3-4" ahead of the receiver, but otherwise everything else, i put a couple of pieces of rubber bicycle inner tube in the barrel channel as close to the muzzle as i can. most of mine shoot noticeably better that way, CZs, 10/22s, anschutz, savage....ect.