Any benefit to a scope for 100 yards or under? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2021, 03:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Any benefit to a scope for 100 yards or under?

I just got a Charger 22 and it's a lot of fun. I am also trying it out with both a cheap RDS and a nice Holosun 507c. And it's a good 22lr to go with my Ruger MK IV Target SS.

Is there any benefit to using a scope on it for indoor ranges with a max of 100 yards?

Because of my astigmatism and handshake, I can't seriously imagine shooting farther than that. Heck I currently can't hit 25 yards consistently and 50 yards is purely random. But assuming I improve and start shooting more regularly at those distances, would a scope help?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:46 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If you can see better, you can hit better! Just don't overdo it! 4 x is a goodness!
Old 11-13-2021, 03:56 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
No magic is a scope ...

There is no magic in a scope. If you are shaky, it will let you see a bit better how badly you shake. Is that good for hitting the target ? Maybe yes and maybe no. The eyesight should be correctable with glasses. The hand shake requires you to experiment with various grip strengths. And if the shakes are causing the sights to wander off and on the target, you will need to learn to time the trigger pull with the best sight alignment. Most of us need to do this to a greater or lesser degree. Some blessed few seem to be rock steady. The rest of us mere mortals struggle and do the best we can.

You say you are shooting targets at 100 yards or less.I would stay with the factory iron sights. Learn to use them. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Currahee506
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:53 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the scope.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I forgot to add that most of my shooting pre Charger was free hand with a Ruger Mk IV. I've barely started shooting with the Charger and I can do well with a rest for either Charger or Mk IV, where my shooting dramatically improves.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:23 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Young people can switch between iron sights and a scope with no problems, especially if the target is black on white. Other than that, eyes get old, like everything else. There comes a time when a scope is a necessity. Recognize that there are no rules. Use what works best for you.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:27 PM
LavaTech
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Residing at my mountaintop home above Palomino Valley, NV
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
In terms of cost performance, shooting more often is going to lead to greater accuracy faster than buying optics will. It just works that way.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:34 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think a 4X scope would be nice at 100yds.

However tell me more about this 100yd indoor range
"Is there any benefit to using a scope on it for indoor ranges with a max of 100 yards?

Smooth
Old 11-13-2021, 09:37 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I was thinking the same thing. Only "100 yard" indoor range. The outdoor range at my club took some doing to get the shoot house back far enough to make it 100 yards.

And yes a scope will help. If you have an astigmatism red dots usually aren't a great choice because they tend to look more like a Nike symbol than a dot to many people. A scope is basically like putting on glasses just with higher magnification. I use a minimum of 20× when shooting @100 yards, and usually more.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:32 AM
Plainsman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
100m indoor range just 80 miles from me…(My local range has a 20 yard indoor and 1,000 yard outdoor facilities.)

Old 11-14-2021, 04:57 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The place nearby that has 100yd indoor "lanes" (you shoot thru tubes at electronic targets) has a $1500 initiation fee and 900/yr.

They're more interested in selling access to their "patio" and "dining room" so they can rape you with their awful bar food, than shooting. You do get a "free" t-shirt.

I shot there (walk-in) once and was treated with utter contempt because I wasn't interested in signing up for "membership".
Old 11-14-2021, 05:59 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
No need for yardage w/electronics

Maybe I am missing something, but if you are using electronics to shoot, the precision is such that you should not need a long distance. Scale the target and shoot indoors at pistol range distances. In a similar way, I will target shoot with handgun at the closest range provided using very small centers. It lets me see shot placement, a form of immediate feedback. If my group is one inch at 7 yards, it will be two inches at 14 yards and 4 inches at 28 yards. Our targets are at 7, 15 and 25 yards, but this gives me a pretty good idea as to how I am doing.

As to the people at the 100 yard electronic range treating you poorly, a shame. Even if you are not interested today, you might be tomorrow and they would not want you publicly talking negatively about them. Not good business on their part.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:32 AM
Wanderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Astigmatism

As my eyes get worse from astigmatism, I find red dots & reflex sights getting blurrier. But no issues with non-illuminated scopes or etched reticles.
So 1-4x scopes are becoming my go-to optics, with either 65moa dot in a circle or chevron etched reticles.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:12 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
As my eyes get worse from astigmatism, I find red dots & reflex sights getting blurrier. But no issues with non-illuminated scopes or etched reticles.
So 1-4x scopes are becoming my go-to optics, with either 65moa dot in a circle or chevron etched reticles.
Please visit your eye Dr. not only for an up to date lens prescription but to check on your eye health as well.

I few years ago I went to my eye Dr. due to symptoms of a detached retina, and was found to have a different retina issue, and while there I got myself a *new eyeglass prescription to correct my moderate level of astigmatism. Prior to the new prescription any dot looked like an alien font figure 8 or a starburst, but now I'm able to see the dot reticle of open reflex sights very clearly when wearing my standard distance glasses.

And I gotta' tell ya'...it's great being able to see both the reticle AND the target c-l-e-a-r-l-y at the same time!

As funds allow I'm transitioning over to open reflex sights for anything that I wish to have "better" accuracy with, being my carry pieces and for those I like to use for suppressed casual target shooting.

I've had to make changes as I age, and the red/green dot reflex sight has been a very welcome addition.

Now go make an appointment to get your eyes checked! You'll thank me