Revisiting my old Daisy 250 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Revisiting my old Daisy 250

It is a Milbro, Scotland .22 cal made under contract for Daisy from 1965 through about 1974. They had acquired the German Diana machinery after WWII and made rebadged Diana's as well as the 'not a Diana clone' Daisy 230 and 250 break-barrel models. The 250 is a pretty full sized piece with a BSA shaped stock and nice bluing. The trigger, though somewhat adjustable is very heavy with a clean break. Too bad they didnt use the 3-ball Diana 27 trigger, the rifle deserved it! No way could a kid use it as is.
It was gifted to me by a good friend in the late '80's before he died. He had bought it new and it is still in very nice condition. I play with it now and then, and it has been a while, so I pulled the works out of the stock and gave it the 'once-over'. One day I should pull the trigger assembly apart and re-work it......
Had the chrony set up this morning for my QB-88 so I followed up with the D-250.
Both the old Daisy Wadcutters and the more current Crosman Premier Domed HP pellets averaged close velo's for 5 shots, about 408fps (my old notes say it was rated at 400ish). Guess my old leather seal is fine.
The weight, size and velo in 22 looks to be comparable to the HW30S in 22 today. If I can get the trigger 'tuned' decently I may not 'need' an HW, though I have been recently lusting for one as a companion to my heavy in weight and cocking force HW97K in 22 (sometimes I just dont want to work that hard).

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-24-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Well, I did it!
Pulled the works out of the stock and inspected for the sear function and engagement; yes, it is a simple affair, but heavily loaded by the mainspring. And for safety it is quite deep engagement as is typical.
Even though it has had 'gun-oil' into it that helped a smidge over dry it was inadequate to the loading at point of contact.
I was able to secure the breech end of the complete barreled action into a v-block on my woodworking table which allowed me to swing the barrel through its arc and watch under good light down into the mechanism.
Once I found the notch I was able to hold there for access, reach in with a q-tip and clean the notch and sear tip of oil, then reach a long skewer with automotive anti-seize down in and coat those surfaces.
Taking it to full cock and sear engagement, holding tightly on the barrel and tripping the trigger I worked it through 10 engage and trips then reassembled the rifle.
How Very Sweet!
Guess I dont need to buy an HW30S after all
Old 09-08-2021, 06:33 PM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Revisiting my old Daisy 250

Pictures or
it didnít happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2021, 08:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
After Phiasco-Bucket my life is too short to be messing around with a hosting site
I apologize if my 'word-pics' arent good enough.
Btw, there are pics of the Daisy 250 online, just not mine.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:59 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gcrank, I have an old milbro 250 as well. My dad bought it when he was stationed in NM, 1965 I think. Anyway my older brother had it first, then I got it when I was about 7 years old. I used to set up cans, probably 10 or 15yds, then shoot em down, then reset, back up a few ft and do it again, I'd repeat this until the rear sight was fully raised and I was having trouble hitting them. Those were simpler times. I still have the old gun, its had a diana model 5 pistol spring in it for the past 4 decades, after my failed power boosting attempt in my early teens. Let's say I knew just enough about metallurgy to be dangerous.
Also I dont think the poster who commented about the pics meant to insult. I think they just wanted to see some pics.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Figured there might be another one out there somewhere
To be clear, my miff is directed only at Phiasco-Bucket that did a royal on me.
Interesting to know the Diana Mdl 5 spring does not 'boost the velo', I wont be ordering one; lol.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:15 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No the diana pistol spring wont hop up the old gun, it runs pretty close to stock performance. You can get a stouter, custom coil from vortek. However, I will caution, a really strong spring will overdrive the leather piston and breech seals, resulting in a near dry fire effect.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
What do you think about turning a bit thicker top-hat to give the stock spring a little more preload?
Old 09-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe, but you'll have to determine the springs solid height before hand, to see how thick your top hat can be. A BSA meteor mainspring would probably be a perfect upgrade for that gun though...
Old 09-23-2021, 02:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I took a look 'up the slot' with it at full cock, the spring seems pretty much compressed just shy of coil-bind now.
Easy cocking, a little twang (maybe I should make a pop-bottle plastic sleeve?), sweet shooter that makes the rated velo, passes the tp-test (taped a sgl sheet of tp over the breech, no tear).
Old 09-23-2021, 07:02 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always separated one square to a single ply and just layed it on top of the breech block. A slightly stouter spring with a good damping compound and the spring ends ground square, is a good way to quiet one down. Replacing the leather seals with synthetics would be an efficient gain in power and consistency. That leather piston seal has lots of drag when wet, and doesnt seal when dry. Have some replacement seals for Anschutz 335. Replaced the leather seal with one of those hard nylon seals for a customer. It's been 30 years back I guess, but if memory serves the gun went from mid 6's to a touch over 700fps...