The Clone Wars - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:09 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The Clone Wars

...or a tale/test of -2- 10/22 clone rifles.

Take an assortment of ammo:

A Winchester Wildcat:

6 types of ammo, 25 yards, 10 rounds to 'season' the bore Here are the results:
Federal Target first group: (ever)

Keeping it all straight:

Federal AutoMatch, 2nd group

And here's the rest of the ammo as noted:

The Winchester Wildcat (out of the box) has a trigger only a mother could love. Any gun shill who says "heavy but crisp" needs a 2x4 across the head.

Last edited by FlysAlot; 08-20-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:09 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
And the second rifle, A TC/R-22

Sighter group Fed Target (left) Automatch (right)

Last edited by FlysAlot; 08-19-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:18 PM
22Nexus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The tcr 22 is a great rifle. Try some Norma tac 22 in the tcr. Mine loves them and results in a one hole group at 25 yards. Maybe yours will have similar results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2021, 07:59 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'll stick with CCI SV, it's great stuff. Just wanted to show people how each rifle performed.

The 3x scope on the TC/R is very limiting
Old 08-20-2021, 01:31 PM
zingbee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't want to re-post all of the pics so I'll ask a question; do you put labels on the inside of the mag case lid so you know what everything is when open? You know, kinda like the lid of a box of chocolates.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:03 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbee View Post
I didn't want to re-post all of the pics so I'll ask a question; do you put labels on the inside of the mag case lid so you know what everything is when open? You know, kinda like the lid of a box of chocolates.
No
Old 08-22-2021, 12:40 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
FlysAlot- always doing meaningful comparisons!

Do you have any other clones in the lineup?

A Kidd would be an unfair entry.

DrG
Old 08-22-2021, 04:44 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I gave my Kidd to the MOST deserving Kid I know (even if his dad doesn’t think so sometimes ). Don’t miss the rifle one bit!

I had thought the post would have generated more comments but I guess not! If people knew how much time it takes to put all of this stuff together. Oh well!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:32 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My TC/R 22 also shoots CCI SV the best, followed by Norma Tac 22. However, it can't quite match my basically stock 10/22; close but just a tad behind. I attribute that difference to me. The 10/22 has a Brimstone Tier 3 reworked trigger and I find the stock TC/R 22 trigger a bit mushy. And I've not yet found the best technique for shooting that lightweight TC/R 22 off the bench. A joy to carry around, but almost too light for bench rest shooting. Again, mostly my technique.

But, it is a feature rich little rifle, especially considering the low introductory price I paid for it, cheaper than the basic 10/22. Nice little plinking gun.

Last edited by cabin22; 08-22-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:08 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
I gave my Kidd to the MOST deserving Kid I know (even if his dad doesn’t think so sometimes ). Don’t miss the rifle one bit!

I had thought the post would have generated more comments but I guess not! If people knew how much time it takes to put all of this stuff together. Oh well!
I think I'm seeing the TC/R performed better Flys but somewhat hard to gauge by eyeball. Interesting the Wildcat was vertical stringing and the TC/R horizontal. You didn't specify magnification on the Wildcat scope but if it's significantly higher than 3X then I'd definitely give the TC/R the laurels.

Nice job on setting a kid up with the Kidd!

Frank
Old 08-22-2021, 11:31 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post

Actually he’s really matured significantly in the last year- and man, he LOVES that Supergrade. You’re an amazing guy, Flys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
My TC/R 22 also shoots CCI SV the best, followed by Norma Tac 22. However, it can't quite match my basically stock 10/22; close but just a tad behind. I attribute that difference to me. The 10/22 has a reworked trigger and I find the stock TC/R 22 trigger a bit mushy. And I've not yet found the best technique for shooting that lightweight TC/R 22 off the bench. A joy to carry around, but almost too light for bench rest shooting. Again, mostly my technique.

But, it is a feature rich little rifle, especially considering the low introductory price I paid for it, cheaper than the basic 10/22. Nice little plinking gun.
Have you tried holding the TC/R INTO the rest when shooting?

I ask because I’ve found that many of my lightweight rifles shoot better groups off the bench when I hold them firmly into the rest, without touching the barrel.

My lil ol 2˘, FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
I think I'm seeing the TC/R performed better Flys but somewhat hard to gauge by eyeball. Interesting the Wildcat was vertical stringing and the TC/R horizontal. You didn't specify magnification on the Wildcat scope but if it's significantly higher than 3X then I'd definitely give the TC/R the laurels.

Nice job on setting a kid up with the Kidd!

Frank
He’s “donated” several really nice, high end pieces to me & my kids. FlysAlot is an amazing friend, his generosity is just part of the quality of his character. He’s one of those “drop everything” friends when you’ve got a problem, and need a sympathetic ear or the wisdom of someone you respect and admire- and his advice is ALWAYS spot on.
I want to be like him, if I ever grow up!

DrG
Old 08-22-2021, 01:13 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post

Have you tried holding the TC/R INTO the rest when shooting?

I ask because I’ve found that many of my lightweight rifles shoot better groups off the bench when I hold them firmly into the rest, without touching the barrel.
DrG - Could you explain that a bit more? Do you mean pulling the rifle down into the bags/rest? I normally pull the rifle into my shoulder while snugged into the rear bag and use left hand to stabilize the forearm against the front bag, but I gather that's not what you mean.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:36 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
DrG - Could you explain that a bit more? Do you mean pulling the rifle down into the bags/rest? I normally pull the rifle into my shoulder while snugged into the rear bag and use left hand to stabilize the forearm against the front bag, but I gather that's not what you mean.
Yes- I’m referring to something different. You want to put downward pressure on the forend, holding it with firm, even vertical pressure into the front rest. You can, and should also pull the rifle back into your shoulder with mild pressure. (Think opposite of “Free recoil” which has you putting as little pressure on the rifle as possible, going so far as to “pinch pull” the trigger using index finger on the trigger & thumb on back of trigger guard, without gripping the pistol grip).
The hold I use on lightweight rifles & sporters involves either placing my left thumb on top of the forend of the stock right over or just behind the front rest (without touching the barrel, don’t want to dampen harmonics as it’s impossible to apply the same pressure, shot to shot). I often find that using the downward thumb pressure technique works best when my hand/wrist are resting on the front rest which allows me to find a hand & wrist position that provides consistent location and pressure applied to the rifle.
Another hold I use involves gripping the forend with the left hand from underneath, fingers & thumb wrapping around it, again without touching the barrel, and hanging the weight of my arm off of the forend to give it downward pressure and stability into the front bag on a mechanical rest. You have to experiment with different grips to find one that you’re comfortable with and can reproduce consistently- it varies for different stock & barrel designs and front rest configurations.
Try gripping in front of, directly over, as well as behind the mechanical rest. I found that using my left thumb along the left side of the forend and pressing down or gripping the forehand behind the mechanical rest and pulling down seem to produce the the best results. I’m not sure what all is involved mechanically here, but I feel your pain because I’ve had many lightweight rifles that CAN shoot, but finding consistency can be troublesome. The one technique that I have found that does tend to bring about consistency in featherweight rifles that bounce around on the rest is to do as I have just described above. You’ll get there by trial and error, and when you find the down pressure technique that works for your rifle, you will know it without question, as the consistency will ramp up immediately in your impact pattern and your groups will tighten up. If you notice that it’s grouping well, but the shots are not hitting your point of aim, not to worry – stay with it, sometimes you have to make minor adjustments to your scope turrets once you find the right hold.

Hope this helps-

DrGunner
Old 08-22-2021, 02:28 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, DrGunner! Good explanation. I appreciate the tips.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:26 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Thanks, DrGunner! Good explanation. I appreciate the tips.
No Problem, good luck with it!