Added new 2 stage trigger - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-02-2021, 01:16 PM
CJT50
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly22lately View Post
The probable reason your bolt velocity appears to have changed is that the forward part of the bolt is dragging across the very top of the TriggerTech hammer. We are talking a few thousandths of 'missing' clearance. The affected area of the bolt can be adjusted (milled or otherwise) to clear this. The factory in Ft Wayne is aware of the tolerance issue and can assist.
Ahhhh, thanks for info. I just figured it was a heavier hammer spring since it worked; It all makes sense.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:25 PM
Snoxer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Larue MBT-2S

Anybody running these? I just ordered one for my(post 20K) micro elite.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:56 AM
plltxusa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Other than 12 cents a round and no time to go to the range anyway, no.

It does exactly what I wanted it to do, and quite nicely I will add. I did have to do a little bit of smithing, as stated, but it's not certain that every combination of these parts will require it.
Ok I installed the triggertech AR15 competitive trigger. CCI Minimag ammo worked perfectly. No issues. Tried CCI Standard Velocity ammo and ran into the issues below:

1. Sporadic weak ejection
2. Bolt not locking back on last round
3. Bolt would not pick up a new round after case ejection (basically turned it into a bolt gun where I had to pull charging handle back to feed new round)
4. Rare failure to eject
5. The other 30-40% of the time, the ammo would run ok. You just never knew what was going to happen.

Since the ammo is the only thing that changed (outside of using the Triggertech), the guess is the bolt is not cycling fully on the Standard Velocity ammo which has less power/velocity compared to minimag ammo. This combination worked previously with the factory trigger and Standard Velociy ammo without any issues. So my guess is that either the hammer spring is stronger creating more bolt cycling resistance and/or the hammer is sliding against the bolt in some way. I have attached pics of the hammer and bolt for those that can analyze and provide feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1526.jpg (475.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1529.jpg (458.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1537.jpg (273.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1548.jpg (338.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1549.jpg (338.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by plltxusa; 12-13-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2021, 01:11 PM
mostly22lately
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plltxusa View Post
Ok I installed the triggertech AR15 competitive trigger.
I have attached pics of the hammer and bolt for those that can analyze and provide feedback.
You have good pictures, and you can see the area on the bottom of the bolt that causes the TINY amount of drag on the hammer highest point. This is as confirmed by the factory.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:31 PM
plltxusa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You have good pictures, and you can see the area on the bottom of the bolt that causes the TINY amount of drag on the hammer highest point. This is as confirmed by the factory.
Thanks for the feedback. In the attached picture, did you slightly round off the #1 or #2 corner of the hammer or was it some other area? Once you rounded it off, have tried CCI Standard Velocity or any similar low velocity rounds to confirm function with this type of ammo? Just curious.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (453.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-13-2021, 03:52 PM
Road_Clam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fyi, im having cycling issues with cci std velocity as well. They run ok (not 100%) un-suppressed but suppressed i notice a fair amount of failure to eject and thats a clue that im getting short stroking of the bolt. I still need to do more testing, and im hoping for better cycling as my gun breaks in.

Keep in mind if you are running the Trigger Tech hammer spring, that spring is designed to run at 223/556 pressures. The bolt needs to be able to move rearward and reset the hammer. The Tippmann bolt / gas system is nowhere near a 223/556 system . Maybe experiment buy running the Tippmann . 22 rimfire hammer spring and see if you get more consistent cycling.

Last edited by Road_Clam; 12-13-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:13 PM
mostly22lately

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. In the attached picture, did you slightly round off the #1 or #2 corner of the hammer or was it some other area?
Some other area ... yes: on the bolt, not the hammer.

I'd call what I did 'super heavy polishing' followed by enough practice rounds to assure me it was playing. Then I shot a KD Appleseed.

How to know if the polishing is working or the bolt has to go to a smith? I suggest using a black sharpie marker. 'Paint' the area on the bolt after polishing. Then dry cycle the action. Look at the sharpie ink. If there are drag marks through the area from the hammer drag, clean off the ink with suitable solvent and try again.

Yes, I used CCI Standard Velocity, which I also found yielded better accuracy than most others I tried. It's definitely an ammo cost to performance tradeoff with this rifle.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:27 PM
plltxusa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Some other area ... yes: on the bolt, not the hammer.

I'd call what I did 'super heavy polishing' followed by enough practice rounds to assure me it was playing. Then I shot a KD Appleseed.

How to know if the polishing is working or the bolt has to go to a smith? I suggest using a black sharpie marker. 'Paint' the area on the bolt after polishing. Then dry cycle the action. Look at the sharpie ink. If there are drag marks through the area from the hammer drag, clean off the ink with suitable solvent and try again.

Yes, I used CCI Standard Velocity, which I also found yielded better accuracy than most others I tried. It's definitely an ammo cost to performance tradeoff with this rifle.
Great idea on the Sharpie. I took your advice and did that on my bolt. The 2 pics attached show the scrape marks on the bolt where i marked with a sharpie and the hammer has ink where the bolt ran across it. I assume the route you took was to polish the underside area of the bolt where i marked with ink. Let me know if I'm off track. Also thanks for your feedback and assistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bolt.jpg (325.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hammer.jpg (498.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-14-2021, 07:51 PM
mostly22lately

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Let me know if I'm off track. Also thanks for your feedback and assistance.
I'm certainly no expert, so, keep that in mind. But what worked, worked.

Federal Automatch bulk 325 round boxes cost $21 or so at Walmart. That's 13 magazines full in this rifle. Many smiles-per dollar.

Also, the high-zoot trigger costs more than 2x what a brand-new Tippmann bolt costs, and the trigger can get moved to another rifle. Hence the notion to 'adjust' the bolt and not the hammer.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:46 PM
plltxusa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'm certainly no expert, so, keep that in mind. But what worked, worked.

Federal Automatch bulk 325 round boxes cost $21 or so at Walmart. That's 13 magazines full in this rifle. Many smiles-per dollar.

Also, the high-zoot trigger costs more than 2x what a brand-new Tippmann bolt costs, and the trigger can get moved to another rifle. Hence the notion to 'adjust' the bolt and not the hammer.
Sounds good. Thanks for the explanation and help.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:40 PM
Dog22
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoxer View Post
Anybody running these? I just ordered one for my(post 20K) micro elite.
Hi - first post here.
I've installed a MBT-2S on my micro elite (post 25K serial).
Has worked great through two range trips.