Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 AM
Bill T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Mark Series, Or Browning Buckmark ??

Since many threads here are started by newbies who are considering both, let's discuss both, along with your reasons for preference for either. Let's try to contribute based on your experience with both. (Either past or present).

I'm a die hard fan of both pistols, and am presently shooting 3 Browning Buckmark's, (Camper UFX, Hunter, and Buckmark Plus UDX). And 4 Ruger Mark pistols. (2 Mark II's, a Mark III, and a Mark IV I just acquired). Over the last several years I have put thousands of rounds downrange with both brands.

I'm currently undecided about which, if either, qualifies as, "the best". There are simply too many features that give both good desirability. Both have been well proven, and have excellent reputations for reliability and accuracy. In fact I don't think one could score above the other in either department.

For me personally, the biggest detractor with the Ruger Mark series, is the horrible disassembly / reassembly procedure. I think this alone has kept more people away from these guns than anything else. And as we all know, that has ended with the introduction of the Mark IV. It's quick and easy 1 button takedown is the Godsend Ruger fans have been waiting for.

Again for me personally, I have only had one failure in a total of 7 of these pistols. That was with the Ruger Mark II Standard pictured. After about 80 rounds, the trigger wouldn't reset. I purchased it from Davidson's, and they promptly replaced it within 24 hours. The replacement has run like a Rolex for thousands of rounds.

The Ruger comes in an all but limitless amount of choices in regards to finish, barrel lengths and weights, grips, and countless sight options. They are as dependable as any .22 pistol could possibly be made. And with the exception of the new blued Mark IV, are all made from steel.

The Browning Buckmark also has a large amount of styles and price ranges to choose from. They even offer a rifle version. The Buckmark series are also very accurate guns. They have a simple, straightforward disassembly procedure that makes cleaning very easy. They are also easy to customize with just a single screw to remove the barrel. Many aftermarket barrels are produced for them.

One of the downsides of the Buckmark is there are too many different grip sizes made for them. You have to be very careful when choosing replacement grips for the Buckmark, or you'll wind up with a set that doesn't fit. They also require all different screw head sizes and lengths that can quickly get very confusing. Ruger wins easily in this department. Just make sure when you purchase them, they are for whatever series you have, (Mark II, III, or IV), and you're pretty much good to go. They'll change out effortlessly.

Cost is similar for similar equipped guns, on both the low, middle, and high end. So I don't think there is any advantage either way there. Magazine costs are pretty much equal. However, Ruger requires different magazines for their different series. (Mark III & Mark IV both take the same magazines). So Browning wins there.

It's not an easy decision. All of my guns in these 2 brands give me what they're designed to. Lot's of good, reliable, accurate, shooting fun. What say you? Don't be afraid to include pictures. I know a lot of you guys have some beautifully customized guns of both brands. And pictures always make a thread more interesting.

RUGER MARK

BROWNING BUCKMARK

Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking my guns

I have a MKIV stainless target and 2 buckmark campers URX. one is a special distb issue 2-3 years ago, stainless 6.5" with F/O green front sight and full rail with rear sight. the other is a 5.5" stainless camper. I love my BMs and this new MKIV sure is a sweetheart. its a toss up, just depends on how I feel the day I go to the range!!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:46 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
26 years ago I was waffling on a 22 pistol - Ruger Mk II vs. Buckmark. Due to the way life happens, I was kinda forced into the Ruger - KMK512. Great pistol, just was never a fan of the heel magazine release. Yes, the takedown/reassemble sucks, but it is only needed for detail cleaning when the gun gets too dirty to function reliably (and it starts having OOB discharges...). About every 2k rounds.

Happened to have some cash at a gun show in November, and walked out with a close to NIB 2012 version of the Buckmark (not sure on exact model). Have only put a few hundred rounds through it, but it is a nice gun.

Of course, the Mk III "fixes" the magazine release issue (as does teh 22/45) and the IV takes care of the disassembly/reassembly issue....

But either are quality pistols, and will likely last a lifetime. I'll throw the GSG/SIG/Colt/Umarex 1911-22 into that mix, as well as the CZ Kadet (or conversion if you have a CZ75). Haven't had the opportunity to shoot a Glock with the Advantage Arms conversion, but I would imagine it is quality as well. And the Rock Island 1911 w/ the RIA 22 conversion (steel, not "pot metal") is also good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 07:56 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I had to make a choice between the Ruger and the Browning about 15 yrs. ago when I was looking to purchase a .22 pistol . I went with the Ruger MK II . They both seemed pretty equal as far as quality & accuracy were concerned but the Ruger had and still has far more after market parts,grips etc available if you feel the need to upgrade .
I own 2 MK II's and a MK III. As far as the take down process of the Ruger is concerned I can't say that it's ever really been a problem for me.
.I have never shot much less owned a Browning so I can't really compare the two how ever I've never heard or read a bad word about them .
Old 01-31-2017, 08:34 PM
mossberg146b

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Ruger wins

For me the Ruger wins, but to be fair I also own a pink Buckmark for my wife. Takedown used to be a problem but now with all the videos on youtube it really shouldnt be hard for anyone with a computer. After watching a few videos anyone should be able to do a basic teardown and cleaning. The magazines for the Ruger are easier than many people think. I havent tried with a MKIII but the standards and MKI and MKII can all use the same mags, you just need to swap the follower button to the appropriate side. MKII mags will fit MKI and Standard model pistols. I may also be a little biased because my grandpa gave me my first MKI, a Target model with the 6 7/8 barrel 20 yrs ago and it has been my favorite ever since.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 PM
KScott_NZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried the Ruger but ended up with the Browning Buckmark.

Shoots very very well, and has a lovely trigger. My thoughts about buying wasn't to have it for another 20 years, it was centered around shooting it today. Who knows where I'll be in 20 years
Old 02-06-2017, 02:16 AM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i shoot both , i have no issue with either , my rugers are older mkI & II so i cannot speak to the newer mkIII or IV , my buckmark is 2000s vintage but my nomad and challenger both date to the 60s ,

im about to experiment with the S&W victory ,
Old 02-06-2017, 06:34 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's all the tan powder around the front sight?