Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

541 Trigger Adjustment

98K views 65 replies 49 participants last post by  WileyG 
#1 ·
Guys, I was doing some maint. cleaning on my 541 THB, took the stock off and am now intrigued about the trigger adjustment screws.

Anyone have ideas on what each screw does to adjust. I have one behind the trigger assembly and two in the front.

I would like to reduce the creap and lighten it up if I can.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.

SteveG66

#27 ·
Beats me, my 541-S now has a 2-pound trigger using the original springs and parts. It wasn't too long ago that I found out that they quit using triggers with 3 adjustment screws like the ones on the 541-S and early 541-T. Of course, I don't have a Remington rifle made after 1980, so that could explain it. Anybody know if the 700's still have 3 screws?

John

#28 · (Edited)
Digging up an old thread, but...

John, I had to say thanks. I followed the directions on page 1 and I now have a marvelous trigger pull on my new/old 541T. I can't wait to give her another try at the Green Monster. The original heavy pull was contributing to my throwing occasional sixes and sevens at 50 yards and eights and nines at 25 yards. Now, I can find out how this beauty really shoots.

By the way, my rifle came with a beautiful set of Redfield 2-piece rotating dovetail bases and medium rings (all glossy blued). I wanted to put a larger AO scope than this set up would allow. So, I went with some low cost Weaver mounts (#15s) and some high rings I already owned. If anybody is interested in the Redfield four piece set, I will ship them to you for 25 bucks.

#29 ·
Wow.

What a difference a good trigger pull makes. I went over to the range today between rain showers and benched the 541T. Conditions were so miserable that I only shot one USBR target but the results were encouraging. 25 yards, Wolf Match Extra, Swift 6-18X44, 248-10X. I called both of the nines. So, I will try again for a 250 on a nicer day.

#31 ·
Glad it caught up to you. I shot this rifle in last month's 2BAB ($2 a box) match on RFC and the ammo of the month was officially Dynapoints. This stuff was a little too big to chamber smoothly (541T must have a match chamber and bore) and I had a few extraction problems but inspite of these flaws, she did a 248 and a 247 even with this bulk packed stuff.

I have cleaned the bore now and am looking forward to trying some really good ammo this month.

#32 ·
Lame Rabbit,
The 541X trigger has a small adjustment, but it is a very simple trigger compared to the trigger on the 541T, 541THB, 541S and the 540X series rifles. The 541X has a trigger somewhat similiar to the 513T. It is also interesting that both the513T and the 541X were used as military trainers.

#33 ·
Remington 541-T HB

undefinedundefinedundefined :cool: Thanks to JohnBT for the details on adjustinmg these triggers. Mine took to it pretty well and is stable and crisp at less than 1 pound. You may have to tweak the sear engagement screw and the spring screw back and forth a bit for best results. BUT DON'T forget to go back in with the nail poliish when your satisfied, and make sure you use empty brass for this excercise!
My 541-HB is a 1993 model with a serail just over the 1,000,000 mark I understand they made these from 1986 or so to 1999. Although it is in superior condition I have discovered to my disgust that the former owner or wanabe gunsmith has altered the bedding in aleast two places. I found the front sling swivel screw sticking up in the barrel channel like the top of a ball bearing, with no glass or raised wood pad evident. Also the stock had been milled out at the receiver ring and screw area, so I also have no bedding or glass here either. Consequently when I first shot the gun it threw 2 1/2 -3 inch groups at 50 yards..was I sick over the $400 I paid!
The trouble is when you tighten the receiver screw, the action wobbles fore and aft not having a proper home. After calling and writing Remington on the bedding specs, I am told to ship it in and they will fix it and bill me. They said they will not do 'smithing over ther phone. Not having my guess another $200 to put into this gun , I am preparing to do the rebedding in glass myself.
I have done glass bedding before on sporterized springfields and mausers with new barrels. But the problem is I have never done one on a round action that at the moment has no recoil lugs or bosses to recenter the action in the stock. As I've said it can move forwards, back, and even rotates side to side. So I aksing you experts for tips on starting this out right...how do I center or relocate the action in the stock when I add the epoxy and set it harden? I realize I must have a shim out near the end of the barrel at least for the first batch of glass. But what is the consensus on uising a forearm pressure pad, and if so what shape and size do I make it?
Thanks for any help. You may write me at pazsint@yahoo.com
Here is my site...> www.kingofcoin.com

#34 ·
SEBeiser said:
I tried to follow the 541 T trigger adj. outlined by JohnBT on his posting to this thread... my trigger has only the front (towards the barrel) two screws!

Can anyone tell me whats up?

THANKS!!!!!!!
The upper screw on this trigger is overtravel and the lower screw is weight of pull. I modified mine by taking out the weight of pull screw, fishing out the spring, snipping one turn off the spring and reinstalling it (carefully). Even with the spring completely removed, there is some resistance to the trigger pull. Probably you would be much better off just finding a lighter spring, but this helped for me.

Of course, don't try this at home, your mileage may vary, no guarantees expressed or implied, no refund no return, et al.

#37 ·
Dangerous Safety

Ironic, but true:

It has been eleven or twelve years since I messed with my 541-T's trigger, but I have not forgotten the lesson I learned. Being inquisitive enough to want to disassemble things as far as possible, this is what I did with my trigger. I do not recall whether my dismantling job left any of the components assembled or not, but I did have the trigger separated from the action. In this condition it is possible to move the safety lever beyond the detents. If one does so, the detent plunger will be released and it will launch from the trigger housing with dangerous speed and energy. This is most definitely a hazard to your vision.

If you remove the trigger from the action for any reason, it is extremely important that you be aware of the hazard the safety poses. The safety on this trigger can hurt you if you are not informed and very cautious!:eek:

#38 ·
I've picked up my 581 after about 20 years of sitting in a gun case, and I've found that it is really a very accurate weapon despite the extremely heavy trigger. I believe I read somewhere that the 541 trigger fits the 581 action, and I've read here and elsewhere that the 581 trigger can be modded to make it adjustable. Unfortunately nobody ever posts pictures when discussing this, it's always more of a "yeah, I did that years ago, works great" but never a detailed how to type thing. In looking at this link for the 541 trigger adjustments: http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp it would appear that all one needs to do is drill a hole in line with the trigger weight spring and tap and thread that hole so that an adjuster screw can be used to dial in the preload on the spring. Is that correct? Don't have to change springs or anything, just reduce the pressure on the stock spring? It also doesn't seem like I need to mess with the overtravel or the trigger stop screws at all.

If that's all there is to it, I'm doing it!

#42 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the information in this thread. I just adjusted my 541-T down to 2 pounds, 5 ounces and it feels just fine to me. I can't wait to get back to the range.
As for nail polish, I used blue loctite and I hope that works. I poured it over the threads and will recheck it tomorrow. I hate to buy nail polish as they will think I am funny.

#43 · (Edited)
I tried the adjustment as outlined. My 541-T originally came with a great trigger feel but 4lbs. Even with the tension screw and tension spring out of the gun my trigger will not go below 2.5lbs. It is very consistent, but 2.5lbs.

Does anybody have any ideas? My only thoughts are to take it apart and try to stone the internals. I couldn't find any aftermarket trigger options. I'd really like to get this trigger below 2lbs. It does shoot great. I shot several 10 shot groups around .3" at 50yds. Out of 12 different ammo's only shot two brands over .5" 10 shot @ 50yd.

541-T 50yd 10 Shot Lapua

Also I'm trying to find out how old this gun is. The letter at the beginning of the serial number is "A". Which if I remember correctly is for 1980. I also remember reading that these guns weren't made until 1986? It has good looking wood, w/ 3 trigger adjustment screws and no swivel studs if that helps.

Stalker

#44 ·
Some have mentioned swapping out the trigger spring. I haven 't taken my apart to look at it but there is at least one guy selling a replacement spring and instructions for $10.
I have only shot mine a little and it is not even close to yours. I shot some Eley Tenex and it was very disappointing. I am glad that yours is working out.

#46 ·
Sticky and adjustments worked like a charm!

Just adjusted the trigger on my used 541S from 1979 I picked up a few days ago. It was 2 lb 12 oz. when I bought it. A little heavy, but was nice and crisp but without much overtravel either.
The adjustments as in the first post didn't take 20 min. or so. The trigger is now 1lb. 12 oz. (28oz.) with a Lyman digital gauge--exactly one lb. lighter. Wont go any lighter, but I'm happy (at least for now!)

Thanks for the tips!

#47 ·
About twenty years ago now Precision Shooting did a feature article on the 541T HB. They had a fellow that did the trigger on theirs down to ounces safely. After the article I sent him mine and told him 12 ounces. It came back 12 ounces, no creep, and no overtravel. A few years latter I called him about doing a 700 trigger for me but he said he was out of the trigger business. Pitty, he was good at it.

#49 ·
Newbie here. I have a 540X made in 1970 and I thought maybe the trigger adjustment here would be the same, but I'm finding that backing the spring screw out increases the weight. I've been at this for over an hour and it appears the screws are not doing what the instructions here saying it SHOULD do. I have it back pretty much where it was before I started, but I just figured I'd ask if they were indeed the same trigger? If not, would one of you please point me in the right direction to so I can set the trigger at a lower weight?

#51 ·
Since I don't have the knowledge and skill that you guys have, I took my 541S to my gunsmith and $30 later I have a nice 2lb trigger. Since I mostly use it for squirrel hunting, I don't want it any lighter. I'm much more a shooter and hunter than a gunsmith. Fortunately my friend is a hellava gunsmith, so I am really lucky.