Quality .22 snap caps for magazine use - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:33 AM
Malpaso
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quality .22 snap caps for magazine use

Hello, brand new to the forum. Just bought a 10/22 that will eventually be a project gun. I know the question of snap caps has been asked and answered numerous time here (drywall anchors!), but I want to use the magazine and dry fire numerous times to check functionality and get comfortable with the operation of the rifle, but also to see parts wear to decide if I want to stone and polish or replace with aftermarket parts.

What is the best .22 snap cap (not dummy round) out there that will allow me to dry fire high numbers, or should I just get the cheap ones and throw them out after a few sessions? I have various brands of quality centerfire snap caps, but I know rimfire is a different animal for dry firing.

I've always just run a few hundred live rounds through at the range to break in a new gun, but with the cost/shortage of ammo, I thought I'd go this route.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:36 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
There are no snap caps capable of taking multiple strikes that I am aware of, the plastic ones chip and chunk out (not the wall anchors) and the aluminum distort quickly. Good luck on your search.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I use Carlson's Snap Cap's for .22lr. They will cycle through the mags on a 10/22. Not sure how many dry fires you will get from each one but they can definitely handle a fair amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 10:04 AM
Mick89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Pachmayr snap caps, but being plastic they are only good for 3-5 strikes in my experience before they start to break or don't chamber. Also pricy. For checking cycling and occasional dry firing, I like them
Old 09-16-2020, 11:12 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpaso
I've always just run a few hundred live rounds through at the range to break in a new gun, but with the cost/shortage of ammo, I thought I'd go this route.
22 ammo is dirt cheap compared to center fire stuff. If you check Wallyworld frequently, you can find some good break in ammo. I like the Federal 550 round boxes for about $20.

But if you're set on "lots of dry fire", why not just remove the firing pin? Then any snap caps will work for testing loading, ejection, wearing in the hammer/sear engagement, and so on. It'll also start you off with acquiring hands on disassembly/reassembly skills for your 10/22.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:21 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (132)
A couple items you're missing:

1. The 10-22 is designed so that if all is within specs, the firing pin will not strike the breech face of the barrel. If yours does it's out of spec and needs repair.

2. Semi auto's behave very differently when being cycled manually as opposed to cycling by actually firing ammunition.

The correct tool for feeding checks dry is an action proving round, not a snap cap. I use both when working on a problem gun. I only use snap caps to check firing pin strike strength, depth, and strike pattern when I reshape a firing pin tip.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Malpaso

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
A couple items you're missing:

1. The 10-22 is designed so that if all is within specs, the firing pin will not strike the breech face of the barrel. If yours does it's out of spec and needs repair
So am I correct that you are saying I can dry fire without damaging the firing pin?
Old 09-16-2020, 12:45 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpaso View Post
So am I correct that you are saying I can dry fire without damaging the firing pin?
That is correct. The 10/22 firing pin is designed for this.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:30 PM
Malpaso

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
That is correct. The 10/22 firing pin is designed for this.
Well that is excellent news, thank you all for responding.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I thought you wanted them mostly just to run through the action. Dry fire away with your 10/22!