Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 PM
changemyoil66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boyd Stock False Colors on Website

The wife ordered what looked like a lavender 10/22 stock for her KIDD build. See below screen shot.

What arrived was more blue. Talked to Boyd customer service and they would waive the restocking fee, but we still have to pay for return shipping of $30. They confirmed the correct color was sent.

This is the first time ive dealt with a firearms customer service that charged for return shipping of a product that didnt meet the standard. If the wife changed her mind, then thats on us. But as you can see below, the website pic is way different from what she received.

She build an AR and the ELF trigger had light primer strikes. Called ELF and had the owner trouble shoot it. Still never work. So he send another trigger and free postage to return the defective one.

Boyd needs a better camera when taking pictures for their website.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 09:59 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Did you show Boyd's the picture. The stock that you received is clearly their blue/grey laminate. They do have a purple/gray laminate color also. If they sent the wrong one then they should take care of it. If they're saying that they sent the one that you chose and that possibly you chose the wrong one then I'd say that's on you. Most places with good CS would take care of it either way at no cost to the customer.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:11 AM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I bought a stock from Boyds that came with an off-center barrel channel. The stock was obviously flawed and Boyds took it back, but I had to pay to ship the bad stock back and to have them ship the replacement stock.

I was pretty unhappy about having to pay an extra $60 to fix their mistake and have not purchased any new stocks from them since then.

The CSR who I spoke with wasn't helpful and my choice was binary, either return the stock and pay all of the shipping fees or keep the useless stock with the off-center barrel channel.

I have a few of the purple "royal" color laminated stocks and they are purple, not the blue "sky" color of your stock. They are lying if they have told you that your stock is "royal", when it is obviously "sky".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 12:52 PM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
None of this is new with Boyd’s. I have experienced this CS with them, as well as my best friend has.

FYI, this is why I avoid Boyd’s whenever possible now.

Craig...
Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Sad to hear... They were great to work with back 10 years ago.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:22 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
OP said that they "confirmed" the correct color was sent. Sounds like the receipt must have stated blue so sadly that's on the person who ordered. Now on the Boyds crappy McCrappy customer service and crazy shipping cost, they suck worse than any gun industry company has ever sucked in history. Their ego is so inflated because they are the biggest, most diverse stock company around and they don't even realize it or don't care to the point that they dont even try to be nice or humble. Maybe we should all send them an email describing our individual experience if it pleases the Crown,,,err Boyds that is.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:16 AM
changemyoil66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Confirmed that purple was sent. Not blue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 07:05 AM
josephdan459

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boyds Barracuda Stock in Royal Jacaranda

I recently purchased a Boyds stock (mistake) through racerifle. The colors just plain look washed out and they didn't properly sand the stock before they finished it so I have three rough spots below the finishing and two rough spots above the finishing where is was dinged twice before making it to me. Lastly there are two very noticeable imperfections in the wood used to create the stock which, I get it, but they are in very prominent places, use another piece of wood! This was my first Boyds stock purchase and my last.

Joseph
Old 09-15-2020, 10:46 AM
eric_robin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdan459 View Post
I recently purchased a Boyds stock (mistake) through racerifle. The colors just plain look washed out and they didn't properly sand the stock before they finished it so I have three rough spots below the finishing and two rough spots above the finishing where is was dinged twice before making it to me. Lastly there are two very noticeable imperfections in the wood used to create the stock which, I get it, but they are in very prominent places, use another piece of wood! This was my first Boyds stock purchase and my last.

Joseph
Hate you guys are having bad luck, I guess I've always considered them an 80% solution... so It's not bothered me to fix them. I've never taken one as-is without some sort of modification, bedding, cutting, sanding, etc. I've re-cut the pistol grip area on all my thumb-hole stocks, and had to slightly inlet a couple too.

My last stock did have a ding in it, but it's a hunting rifle so it didn't bother me more than 20 or 30 minutes. ;-)
Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Bruno70254
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boyds Stocks

I agree eric_robin, for the price they are a good deal. I have several At-Ones and others and most have needed a little work. As far as color goes, you can't blame Boyds for the color that shows up on your monitor.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:33 PM
josephdan459

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_robin View Post
Hate you guys are having bad luck, I guess I've always considered them an 80% solution... so It's not bothered me to fix them. I've never taken one as-is without some sort of modification, bedding, cutting, sanding, etc. I've re-cut the pistol grip area on all my thumb-hole stocks, and had to slightly inlet a couple too.

My last stock did have a ding in it, but it's a hunting rifle so it didn't bother me more than 20 or 30 minutes. ;-)
Eric,

I'm considering sanding out the problem areas but it just feels bad that my $159 stock which cost almost as much as a new Ruger 10/22 Carbine Blued without sights has to be refinished because the manufacturer was soo sloppy, lazy and cheap. As far as color goes it's more of a lack of color problem than the colors not matching, they simply did not use enough (cheapskates). At any rate I would love to find a manufacturer who 1. uses high quality wood 2 sands their product smooth before applying finishing coats 3 inspects their product before shipping it out to customers. I'm also starting to consider just crafting my own stock, we'll see.

Joseph
Old 09-20-2020, 05:23 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I once called them cause i wanted a stock for my pre-Accu trigger savage model 12 bull barrel 2 to 3. They were so snarky and rude that I didnít buy anything and I wonít ever buy anything from them.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:09 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdan459 View Post
Eric,

I'm considering sanding out the problem areas but it just feels bad that my $159 stock which cost almost as much as a new Ruger 10/22 Carbine Blued without sights has to be refinished because the manufacturer was soo sloppy, lazy and cheap. As far as color goes it's more of a lack of color problem than the colors not matching, they simply did not use enough (cheapskates). At any rate I would love to find a manufacturer who 1. uses high quality wood 2 sands their product smooth before applying finishing coats 3 inspects their product before shipping it out to customers. I'm also starting to consider just crafting my own stock, we'll see.

Joseph
Iíve had no issues with Boyds, but itís been several years since I ordered anything from them.

Iíve bought quite a few laminate stocks from Stockys. Color, fit and finish have all been flawless. Most of their laminate stocks are made by Revolution.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/catalo...er+10-22+stock

DrGunner