50 at 200 - Page 87 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:19 PM
mugup52

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

If you drilled all the way through, will the bullet whistle?

I very much appreciate your work. Lar
Old 09-02-2020, 05:46 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I don't know M.

Leenie was going to attempt it and get back to us.

Leenie, you out there?
Old 09-02-2020, 06:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jaja I’m beginning to think that particular lot was blessed by a priest, you can do no wrong. Could try squeezing the bullets in a vice for that square bore effect. They would probably still shoot.
Too bad that lot sold out after your initial findings.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I noticed that lot disappeared overnight.
Stuck the number up and it was gone.

Latest order of reloading components arrived this afternoon.
In there with 'em was some odd boxes of varminting 22wmr including the subsonic Winchester's.
Never tried a subsonic 22wmr before. No idea what to expect.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Somebody is watching your posts closely for that winning horse! And you in your evil lab drilling holes BW ah hah.
Just so happened I was about to place an order when your initial findings were posted, I looked too🤓
Old 09-03-2020, 07:52 AM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
I don't know M.

Leenie was going to attempt it and get back to us.

Leenie, you out there?
I am a little busy picking and selling sweet corn right now. I did put a bench at 200 meters that I can move the top to 200 and 150 meters and 150 and 200 yards. in three weeks I will have more time. scary to think other people have the same brain waves as i. I will shoot a 50 at 200 with a stevens visible loader or a bergara or a anshoots or a cz with a lilja. hopefully can get to the whisteing bullet soon maybe put threads on the nose of the bullet to grip the air. wood the threads be left or right hand threads?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:02 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Winchester Varmint LF 25 grain NTX polymer tip 22 wmr rated 2100 fps, lead free

CZ 455 Fuglie with Feddersen 16.5 inch barrel

Some visible variations in seating depth, brass dimensions also,
some chambered easily, some required effort to close the bolt.

Muzzle velocities were up and down as were poi shot by shot.

Sent 5 to adjust the scope to the ammo and conditions
then the remaining 45 at the aimpoint. Vertical spread matches mv spread.
Winchester doesn't have the quality control in place needed to ensure tighter mv's.
Over 300 fps ES from each box.

After the first box took a break to catch up with another shooters project rifle.
During the conversation the wind shifted directions and picked up in speed.
The next box of 50 still shows the mv spread, but the wind effects increased lateral spread.

Figure 12 inches of spread at 200 yards,
expect 4 inches at 100 yards and 1-1/3 inch at 50 yards.
Center of rodent out to 75 yards would be my thinking,
for those areas that require no lead ammunition.

Last edited by jaia; 09-06-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:14 AM
kyairgunner
US Army

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hi Jari, I really enjoy reading the thread. I have a question for you

Any thoughts on why the drilled bullets aren't shooting faster speeds? I would think your holes are more than 2 gr. i use to love rimfire guns until I started shooting good airguns in the early 1990. I know from airgunning a change in pellet weight of just 2 grains makes a big ftps and a point of impact change. Down range the heavy and slower pellet will eventually be faster than the lighter faster pellet. You should maybe try airgunning sometime. The 30cal airguns are shooting 45+ grn pellets to almost rimfire speeds with better results. I have had several gun that would do 1/2 moa at 100yds all day long with wind flags or a calm day which i don't get often. My local range only go to 150yds. I have had guns that could group 1-2 inches most the time with flags. The best part compared to rimfire is i see every projectile as I load it. I can even sort pellets by weight or run them thru a sizing die if I wanted. Extreme ftps of better airguns are in the 10-15 range. I do still like rimfire and enjoy shooting them out to 300+ yds but the ammo is very frustrating. Under 100 yds I usually end up wishing I had brought my airgun instead... thanks chris
Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm not sure why there's such a minor difference in mv's, K.
Possibly there needs to be a larger difference in weight to produce a major shift.
From the chrony numbers I can't determine if the 8-15 fps difference is normal rimfire cartridge variations
or if due to the holes. I have a Crosman 1322 pump pistol and an RWS AirKing springer rifle.
Both use 22 cal pellets and have been handy for picking off rodents, shooting practice
on those days when I can't get to the range. Minimal noise and produce
better accuracy than I am capable of when shooting offhand.

Working my way through publications on rimfire bullet manufacture and resulting accuracy,
all agree the trailing edge of the bullet is critical to producing repeatable trajectories.
The surface of the nose has minimal effect on results. Minor dents or dings on the nose
create minimal dispersion from the flight paths, but are indicators of poor handling
during cartridge/bullet manufacture and assembly. Basically, if the nose shows signs
of rough handling, the rest of the bullet will have those same dents and dings, including
the trailing edge/heel. Anything that damages the shape and symmetry of the heel,
is going to result in poor results on target. Out of balance projectiles will cause deflection
from the baseline trajectory, but as I found out, if the bullets are still uniform in shape/weight,
and start from the same orientation, will produce uniform results on target. So the visual
inspections of the cartridges as they come out of the box, will indicate the level of quality
control in use at the factory during manufacture. If the cartridges already show signs of abuse,
straight out of the box, they are unlikely to produce predictable trajectories at anything beyond close range.
If the drive bands show damage, results will be worse and if the crimp line isn't clean, crisp and even,
all the way around, those cartridges will not produce worthwhile results.

Last edited by jaia; 09-12-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:41 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Courtesy of 545riflefan, Tikka T1X at 200 yards with Lapua X-Act and CenterX

Quote:
Hi Folks. Both me and my wife are shooting identical T1X. We have both been working thru various brands
and lots of ammo to see what works best for use. All along we were hoping to be able to shoot the same lot
of whatever ammo was best just to keep ammo selections to a minimum.

We decided to go with the SK/ Lapua lines without really working thru either Eley or RWS

Background is we bought these as .22 trainers for when we can’t get to the 1000 yard + range with our TacA1 6.5cm ( a bit of a drive )

So far we have been very happy with these T1X’s.
Our local range is limited to 200 yards and that is where we shoot these most of the time.

Today we decided to try out the Lapua X-Act up against the 2 lots of CenterX we have.

Here are the results.

We both shot the CenterX per 6x5 rules, 6 groups/5 shots each, all 6 groups consecutive.
As this is the first time shooting the Xact, we were not sure where the POI would be
so we shot some sighters and then shot the 6x5 using the Xact

You can see that we both seem to show that the Xact would not be worth the cost.

Nice day today. We both won today’s shoot off. I can claim best average and she can claim best group.
Anyway. I’ve been seeing lots of questions about how the T1X does with various ammo
and wanted to post up our experience today on a sample of two T1X's.

Last edited by jaia; 09-12-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:22 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
At 200 yards, that is some nice shooting!
Old 09-14-2020, 04:20 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Group aggregates - 30 shots - 200 yards - Tikka T1X

I'd say the X-Act had the better chrony numbers on that run.

3 to 4 inch groups at 200 yards for 30 shots ain't easy.

Sweeeeeeet!

Last edited by jaia; 09-14-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello - A fascinating and valuable thread.

I recently watched some of Eric Cortina's (the F class shooter) videos and one that has given me much pause for thought is the "Simplified reloading" one - which if I understand correctly can be summarized; "Combustion - find the load with the lowest ES, don't even consider group size, then Harmonics - adjust seating depth or maybe tuner for best groups and finally Ballistics, choose a projectile with a consistent BC".

I wonder if this approach could be useful in the 22RF realm - obviously steps 2 and 3 need considerable thought as to how to adapt from CF options
Old 09-15-2020, 06:50 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Combustion - find the load with the lowest ES, don't even consider group size

Smallest ES? No argument from me, AT . Without a tight ES, the vertical spread ruins results.

Harmonics - adjust seating depth or maybe tuner for best groups

Or go my route and use a barrel block rig...minimize harmonic effects.

Ballistics, choose a projectile with a consistent BC

Or as I prefer to state it: Least amount of defects, uniform projectiles.
Same weight, same shape, same cartridge dimensions, components and assembly.
It's not the brand that I worry about, but the quality of the cartridges in the box.

With rimfire, finding decent cartridges is the most frustrating part of the process.
Being dependent on the manufacturers to provide consistent quality cartridges
means I'm always looking for that next "magic" batch to replace my current supply.
Not like centerfire where I can build my own to the level of precision that makes me happy.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:19 PM
Williwaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JAIA - What is a barrel block rig?