Gotta love the MKIII Hunter - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Dr. Internet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I've had mine for quite a few years and my younger brother also has one. I did all the mods from Volquartsen, but it still didn't feel right. I put some Volquartsen Laminated Mark III Grips, on it and what a difference! With those grips and the Volq trigger, all the varmints tremble in fear.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Colt1927

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HySkore

HySkore Parallax Pistol Vise and Shooting Rest. I've never shot off of it, but plan on it to zero the Vortex that I just put on. You shouldn't lock it down for shooting though. , I use it mostly for optic installation. Midway sells them for around $55. I'm thinking about getting a Ransom w/ windage base.

Last edited by Colt1927; 05-20-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:52 AM
bunny shooter
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlegvzv View Post
Love the Hunter but I could not shoot well with the "V" sights so replaced the rear sight with the square sight. The Hunter is a beautiful firearm. Mine is a real shooter.
Love my Hunter too. Did as above with rear sight & also put on an iron foresight. Found it made a huge difference. VQ trigger made it a "keeper"
Old 06-05-2020, 06:52 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Love mine!

I have big paws, so the VQ laminate grips were a great upgrade. Also did the VQ hammer & sear work, topped it with an older model Ultradot 25 when they had 2MOA dots- the dot looks bigger in the pic cuz the brightness is turned up to “11”.
I think of the movie “Spinal Tap” every time I turn on one of my Ultradot sights

Old 06-05-2020, 08:02 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned many MKI and MKII pistols, but never a Hunter. Always admired them as previously stated, they remind me of the older High Standard pistols with the scalloped barrels. I wont trade either of my target MKII Rugers for a MKIV as the takedown and reassembly isn't an issue for me. There are sure some fine looking Hunters on this thread.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:00 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always liked that fluted barrel look which reminded me of some of the earlier High Standard pistols. I have a Hunter and thoroughly enjoy it. After I pretty much converted it back to a MKII by ditching the LCI and mag disconnect via Volquartsen parts.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:33 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I like them 2....

Quote:
Originally Posted by athappyhiker View Post
This was at 10 yards standing free-hand. Top two groups were rapid fire. This pistol has the VQ trigger in it - super light. Stock Ruger Hunter sights.

I just picked up a couple of MK 3 Hunters. I like the threes better for the tighter lock up, but the LCI is a turn off. One of the new MK 3 barrels has the flutes finished just like the exterior of the barrel. The other MK 3 barrel has a much rougher finish in the flutes. Surprisingly, the rougher one is the lower serial number. They look like two different model pistols. I will get my phone pic up in a bit......I don’t know if Volquartsen still has the tune up kits on ebay for 60 bucks, they tout a 2 to 2 1/4 lb trigger after install. The trigger, hammer, and some little parts in a baggy. They also had the Picatinny mount for 10 bucks.

Last edited by gr8guns; 09-07-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:17 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
I like mine. Im surprised at the price of Mark IVs when I visit the gunshop. I didnt pay that for my Mark III.

I think I paid about $440 for my 6 7/8 Hunter. Now I believe same shop has 4s about 100 or 150 more than that.
A Mark IV lower is VERY different, and a LOT more machining. NOT 2 stamped halves welded together.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Dewman708

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one when they first came out and still have it. Put the Tandemkross lci replacement piece in as well as replaced the mag safety with the ss bushing, put a Nikon p-tactical spur on top and I'm a happy camper. I also have a mk4 target but I'm keeping my hunter, too many good memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1865.jpg (412.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Dewman708; 09-11-2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 09-09-2020, 04:41 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
I've owned many MKI and MKII pistols, but never a Hunter. Always admired them as previously stated, they remind me of the older High Standard pistols with the scalloped barrels. I wont trade either of my target MKII Rugers for a MKIV as the takedown and reassembly isn't an issue for me. There are sure some fine looking Hunters on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVK View Post
I've always liked that fluted barrel look which reminded me of some of the earlier High Standard pistols. I have a Hunter and thoroughly enjoy it. After I pretty much converted it back to a MKII by ditching the LCI and mag disconnect via Volquartsen parts.
Heck, I do not think they look alike,, at all,,
one has a silver trigger, the other has a gold trigger,,,

Gotta love the Hunter, it has been my go-to plinker for 4-5 years,,
I just got a VQ barrel, and that barrel is now on a MKII frame, the Hunter may get some challenge for shooting time from the VQ barreled gun,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunter and High Standard.jpg (565.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just put the Volquartsen accuracy kit in my MK III Hunter, and the Tandemkross hammer bushing. Trigger breaks right at 2 lb!
The one thing I did a long time ago was, replace the V-notch rear sight blade with a Ruger factory traditional square notch blade. More accurate for my eyes.