Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:27 PM
critterman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Cool 10/22 magnum

So anyone got an opinion about leaving a 1022 mag bone stock and just being happy, or buying barrels and stocks and making it into something that doesn't even resemble a ruger.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:05 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
No problem here besides I don't own one. If I did I don't think I would do much to it. Maybe send it to Randy at CPC if he does those.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:20 AM
izhm

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would not make any changes at all . The value goes down hill right away . I know a guy who purchased one as new in the box for $1000.00 and added stocks, barrels etc. . 5 years latter wanted to sell it and only could get $500.00 !! The buyer wanted to restore to it's original factory in the box look . The seller had listed it as a much in -proved and upgraded 10/22 Magnum . All of the add on items did not make it run any better than when it left the Factory .

Last edited by izhm; 09-07-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 AM
former farmer

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It is totally up to you. What do you plan on using it for? Is the money you stick into it going to make it that much better?

I have one and wouldn't change anything on it.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:41 AM
critterman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Well I have a pair of them but in leaning in 2 direction
Old 09-06-2020, 09:54 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
The nice thing about the design of the rifle is if you want to you can change the barrel, stock, trigger, etc and still be able to put it back in it's original configuration very easily.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:27 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
as their value keeps going up, I'd retire them both... and get something else like a CZ 512, to shoot if you just have have a Magnum
Old 09-06-2020, 12:32 PM
vlcakc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a 10/22 Magnum new a number of years ago. The accuracy was mediocre and the trigger was just plain lousy. I replaced the barrel with a Green Mountain fluted .920 CM, the trigger with a Volquartsen and the stock with a Hogue. The rifle is now much more accurate and fun to shoot. I kept all the original parts, so it can be restored to original in a matter of minutes. I bought it to shoot and not sit in the safe gathering dust, so it will continue to be used as intended.Retired? Not likely! I'm not concerned with resale value as the rifle will probably be sold at my estate sale if not claimed by a friend or heir first!
Old 09-09-2020, 08:34 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlcakc View Post
I bought a 10/22 Magnum new a number of years ago. The accuracy was mediocre and the trigger was just plain lousy. I replaced the barrel with a Green Mountain fluted .920 CM, the trigger with a Volquartsen and the stock with a Hogue. The rifle is now much more accurate and fun to shoot. I kept all the original parts, so it can be restored to original in a matter of minutes. I bought it to shoot and not sit in the safe gathering dust, so it will continue to be used as intended.Retired? Not likely! I'm not concerned with resale value as the rifle will probably be sold at my estate sale if not claimed by a friend or heir first!
Amen! I have 2. One is similar to the above but I also have a Clark Custom .17 HMR barrel for it. It runs just fine in either caliber. The other appears box-stock but has some of the standard action mods. If you're counting on a 10/22M as an investment, you're late to the party. A number of them sold several years ago for $1500 - $2000 on GunBroker.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:06 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I wish they would bring it back in a stainless variant in basic standard configuration with irons and a plastic stock, hit a street price in the mid 500s. They did it with the pc carbine, a guy can dream cant he

Just a workhorse basic critter getter, thump any varmint to 75.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
20shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Magnum for home defense

I just recently assembled an HTA 90/22 from an old 10/22 LR I had lying around. Now that I have it all assembled, I'm thrilled by how much it looks and feels like the FNH PS90 it was designed to clone. It's so compact and well-balanced.
But of course in .22lr it is a weak substitute for the real thing in 5.7 x 28mm. Then it occurred to me that .22 WMR ammunition doesn't fall too far short of duplicating the 5.7 for energy on target.
I thought to myself that I should really look into a 10/22 Magnum as a home defense option--nearly as much terminal performance as 9mm handgun, less risk of over-penetration and shooting through walls, just over 26" long so very handy in close quarters, supremely aimable with a laser or red dot, rapid fire from 15-round magazines. What's not to like? Then I started looking to buy one and %%%%ed if they aren't like unobtanium. Rats!