Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:28 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Steyr Zephyr II 22WMR

So, I am in the market for a rifle in 22 Mag. One of the local big box stores has a used Zeyphr II in the WMR chambering. I don't know a whole lot about these rifles, but I did find out that they take CZ mags and that they are not considered a entry level gun - by a long shot.

There is a used one for sale locally. It is described as LNIB. Problem is, the price they are asking is about what I could buy and unfired one for. Actually, I found a new one on gunbroker for a little more that $50 less than the used one.

That brings up two questions:

1. Is the rifle worth the coin? Is it a half inch gun at 50 yards?

2. Is it possible to dicker the price with a big box store?

I'd like to hear from owners of the Zephyr and people who have struck deals with their local store in a national chain.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:32 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
Cabelas would deal on price of used guns and some library guns. Since takeover I don't know what they will do.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:23 PM
Joaquin B
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Zephyr II in .22 WMR a few months ago.

Since you cannot tune 22 rimfire ammo, I bought a box of 8 different brands and types of ammo and shot a 10-shot group with each brand, at 100 meters at my SB silhouette range. With fishtailing wind around 8 MPH, I paid more attention to vertical stringing than horizontal spread. Having said that, the rifle shot the best group with Winchester Supreme Varmint 34 grain bullet ammo. Group size was 1.25 inches (at 100 meters and in breezy conditions) Hornady personal defense 45 grain ammo came in second place with a 1.5 inch group. The worst groups were with Browning 40 gr. hollow-points (3.5 inches, with a lot of vertical dispersion). CCI and Super-X solids and JHPs hovered around 1.75 inches.

I later installed a muzzle brake to see if it would have any effect on groups on a different day and it did not. The groups were a little tighter horizontally, with the vertical dispersion unchanged.

When I first bought the ammo for testing, the costliest ammo was the Winchester Supreme at $15.00 a box. It is now selling for double. How's that for gouging?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 05:24 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought one of these Zephys when they first came out. I love the design of the rifle but could do without the threaded barrel, I didn't ask for it, it came with.

I'm embarrassed to say I have only shot a single round in it to make sure it "worked". It is at the smith now having 1" lopped of the butt stock to fit me better. That's why I had not shot it more.