Rifle Basix SAV-R for Stevens Model 300? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:55 PM
a-cat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifle Basix SAV-R for Stevens Model 300?

Greetings from Australia!

I own a Stevens Model 300. From what I can gather, the receiver is the same as the type 'E' Savage MkII.

The trigger is awful. I have placed a shim between the receiver and trigger group, as per the instructions on this website. I have also replaced the spring. Whilst the two modifications have improved it, it is still pretty bad.

I anybody able to tell me whether the Rifle Basix SAV-R sear replacement will fit this rifle?

I wrote to Rifle Basix a couple of weeks ago, but they haven't responded as yet. Their website mentions that the SAV-R sear will fit the Stevens Model 310, but a google image search shows the trigger group for that is different again.

I have included some pictures of the trigger group. These were taken before the shim modification.

Thank you.

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1752 kB)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1910 kB)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1679 kB)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1806 kB)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1685 kB)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:56 AM
a-cat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe I've found the answer: It should work.

This link has pictures of the different MkII/93 receivers and trigger groups: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...er-Differences

The photo of the non-Accutrigger 'E' receiver trigger group appears to be identical to that in my Model 300.

I'll order one after the Christmas break and see how it goes.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 PM
LHitchcox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It will fit. The 300 is just an economy version of the MK II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 09:53 PM
a-cat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was $182 AUD ($132 USD) well spent. It doesn't fit

Everything lines up, but the sear protrudes so far into the receiver that the bolt can't even be inserted.

Attached are some pictures comparing the two sears. The silver one is what came out of the Stevens, the black is the SAV-R. I am guessing the MkII trigger has a slightly different profile to mine.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 AM
a-cat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ignore my previous post.

I disassembled everything again and started again. This time I put the sear in first, followed by the closed bolt. The rest of the trigger group then went into place correctly.

I have been able to get it to a safe and consistent 300g (~11oz) pull.

Stupid question: Where is the grease supplied with the sear supposed to be applied? I presume it isn't supposed to go near any of the mating surfaces?