Why Zephyr II not so popular - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:17 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I bought one in 22 Mag about as soon as they came out.

I had a bit cut off the LOP and I love the rifle. The feel and heft is great and the barrel finish is nice. I like the butter knife bolt, the schnaubel fore end, and the layered cheek pad.

The color of the finish is a bit odd but nicely done.

I'd rather have the original Steyr Zephyr but at 3x's the price, I'm not willing to do it (unless like new in the box).

I know, I've left off the most important info...how does it shoot. I'm still tinkering with 17's and .22s so I don't know yet.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:51 PM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmm View Post
If you meant the grand finale 452, here in Australia, it sells for around AUD $650 more than the Zephyr II.
I am talking about the 452 Grand Finale and Pa. is not in Australia where your pricing seems quite a bit higher on most items. Australia is a beautiful continent for sure and I would love to visit there.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:30 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmm View Post
I noticed that this rifle is nowhere as popular as say the Tikkas CZ etc and I wonder why.
Overall I don't think the Zephyr is less accurate than those and in terms of finish,I think it is superior.

Steyr is also established brand. If it is price thing, here in Australia it is actually priced very well. Is there anything different about the rifle that I am not aware of?

I will still get it anyway but just a curious thought .
I believe I bought my initial Steyr Zephyr II about the time the CZ 457's were announced or just shortly before that. I bought it because I had acquired just about every 455 "Varmint stock" configuration available plus the American & Trainer and was just looking for something a little different. Along comes the Zephyr II and I immediately fell in with the rifle . . . mainly due to the design of the stock. At that time they could be purchased here in the US for $750+. I really liked mine in 22 LR and followed up with a 17 HMR shortly thereafter at about the same price. Had there been a 22 WMR available at the LGS I probably would have filled out the set.

Within a couple of months, the price jumped to $999 and has pretty much stayed there however, a couple of the Cabela's Gun Library locations are cutting $200 off that price. Maybe if I can find a 22 WMR at that price with a Veterans discount I can get back to my price.

I have not shot mine a lot but the initial work with ammo testing left me with the perception they may have shot slightly better than my CZ 455's, but I left them stock without "any" trigger adjustment which had quite a bit of take-up if I recall correctly which made it feel like a two-stage trigger. The trigger pull was reasonable for a walk-around hunting rimfire but could be adjusted if needed.

So I would say the $1,000 price tag, the CZ 457's coming on the scene, followed by the Tikka TX1 at half the price along with the limited supply has impacted the popularity. Then there is all the focus on Chassis Precision Rifles & black painted or plastic stocks . . . just put nice wood stocked rifles in the background. I still prefer a nice wood stock, but they are getting harder to find.

I think the same thing happened to the ($999) Sako FinnFire II's but I think the Zephyr II is a much better-looking rifle. I actually looked at a FinnFire II in today sale priced at $799 that has been on the LGS shelf for 2-3 years.
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I saw one of these at the brick and mortar Buds Gun Shop and Range yesterday on the rack. It was 22LR, I have the WMR. $999.