TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
The reasons I ask...

CCI 17 grain V-Max Link to post

Hornady 17 grain V-Max Link to post

CCI 17 grain Vmax 17hm2 Link to post
You won’t see me ever buy a whistlpog barrel in hm2.
I have seen zero reports of accuracy/consistency I think is deserving of a good squirrel rifle.

My barrel will average 5 shot groups) at 72 yards typically .5” to .75” ctc. And I am not even using a super high mag scope. My scope maxes out at 10x. Reticle sub tension of crossshair is .18 moa.

When I first got my lilja barrel I shot it at 100 yards lasers. Groups stayed around 1”. Some even as small as .75”

72 yards, why I mentioned this distance. This is good range to zero hm2 imo to use in the field on squirels. This zero will keep one from shooting over squirels at say 60 yards. And puts the hm2 round cci at 1 moa low at 100 yards.

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-11-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:29 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the education squirrel.
Chipping away at ignorance is a good thing.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:40 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Thanks for the education squirrel.
Chipping away at ignorance is a good thing.
You see a good squirrel rig for when leaves are off. The more accurate rifle not necessarily the best choice.
Speed, trajectory of hm2 can allow some things to happen in the woods where anneven more accurate 22lr for example would not be able to do or do as well.

Is my Annie 1710 more accurate than my lilja barrel equipped hm2? YES
With the right ammo it is.

Might sound strange what I have said here. But true.
At 100 yards for example with a 50 yard zero using 22 lr hv. A person has to hold around 5 inches high. Meaning bullet is that high above line of sight. So hard to judge a limb, or twig say at 60 yards and determine if it is or isn’t in bullet flight path.
What a person sees in the woods line of sight to squirrel hm2 round hugs this line tighter.

And scope parallax (focus) can make these twigs/limbs harder to see at mid range to target on the longer shots.
For the avid squirrel hunter this indeed is a REAL good tip.
You have your parallax set to 100 yards and you see a squirrel st 100 yards. The limbs, twigs at 30 yards can be hard to see too in the scope.
Folks can experiment innthe woods and they will definitely understand better. Remember my scope only goes to 10x. Wonder if a person dials their scope to 16x or 20x or 24x? The more mag one uses the more this not being able to see smaller twigs,etc (at closer distances) can happen when actual parallax is adjusted for longer distance shots.

Also. Another good tip.
With experience a squirrel hunter who is using a scoped weapon will learn to lower their scope and peek to see if any limbs, etc will be hit by round before the round makes it to actual line of sight.

You see good squirrel hunting involves lot more than just sighting and firing.

Another good tip.
Actually a very skilled squirrel hunter using say 22 lr will learn they can actually hit what they can’t see at distance(assuming correct scope elevation is dialed in). . They can aim literally at a limb blocking their sight path and still connect on squirrel. Distance of shot using 22 lr and where the obstacle is distance wise in relation to quarry.

Bottom line:
Good squirrel hunters becomes extremely familiar of their rifles bullet trajectory as soon as it leaves the barrel and travels farther and farther.
And remember angle of shot (up or down) will affect if rifle has been zeroed in the level.
This is why the sharpshooters using iron sights using 22 rimfire will use fine bead when shooting up and coarse bead when shooting in the level.

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-11-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM
skwerl58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been enjoying your reports. Your ballistics knowledge is due to experience and that is good. I am still a 22 guy for squirrel hunting and do most of it open sighted where a 50 yard shot is a long one. I do miss often and scratch my head. I hope to pass my love of hunting and shooting on and share with family and anyone who will listen. I have scopes and peep sights on most of the guns I hunt with to help my shooting and accuracy. You bring out some great points and hope you continue to share.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 AM
ksoden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've got a 17 hm2 WP barrel on a Ruger precision, I don't really shoot a lot of paper/groups but I have zero problems killing squirrels with it... turned a very heavy bench type rifle into a nice handling hunting rifle. Not saying they are the best but they do shave a lot of weight if you like the ergonomics of that type rifle.

appreciate the info on zero distance, I think ill re-zero my M2 this weekend and see how it works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
You won’t see me ever buy a whistlpog barrel in hm2.
I have seen zero reports of accuracy/consistency I think is deserving of a good squirrel rifle.

My barrel will average 5 shot groups) at 72 yards typically .5” to .75” ctc. And I am not even using a super high mag scope. My scope maxes out at 10x. Reticle sub tension of crossshair is .18 moa.

When I first got my lilja barrel I shot it at 100 yards lasers. Groups stayed around 1”. Some even as small as .75”

72 yards, why I mentioned this distance. This is good range to zero hm2 imo to use in the field on squirels. This zero will keep one from shooting over squirels at say 60 yards. And puts the hm2 round cci at 1 moa low at 100 yards.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some sorry weather here for squirrel hunting.
Bagged one fox squirrel. Did hear one grey squirrel do a whine bark. Never located.
Brings season total to 446
Career harvest to 51,288
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22AA11B7-49F2-44D5-9719-AF88D50F6F55.jpg (521.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 04:54 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No squirrels today. Never saw a single one. Breezy not cold either. Hey may stir when rain moves in tomorrow. We’ll see.
Anyways drove to this gent’s field where I have seen some fox squirrels previously. No squirrels. But a pair of crows in field. I am sitting in my truck. LASer flashed 134 yards. Lit a cigarette to check wind direction. Seemed to be little cross wind yet some tail wind. Dialed up Nightforce 2.75 moa and fired off my
bipod shootings stick out the truck window. The bullet popped on Impact, crow jumped and went sideways then expired.
Walked to crow and retrieved and lasered back towards my truck. Laser flashed 140 yards. I aimed center mass. And looks like shot was indeed line drive albeit somewhat low. Probably should have had 3 moa dialed in.
You can see where bullet hit bottom of wing in pic. May hunt this field using hm2 and a call for coyotes.
Crow season is open here btw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1EE6705D-2363-49B6-B498-359426ABB47B.jpg (515.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-14-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:11 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SQuireel harvested in post #5 I went back and lasered to where squirrel was sitting = 121 yards. I had good landmark where squirrel was originally shot, rolls of hay.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:55 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some nice weather this morning. Didn’t last long though. High wind set in.
Bagged 1 fox squirrel. One of those noggin shots.
Did shoot another one. I lasered before I shot, laser flashed 72 yards. I kept trying to figure the wind. Held a little right of where’s I wanted to hit him. Shot and made a hit and buckled him up. He came down tree long ways and I think he went back up and got in hole. If my memelry serves me right this infact maybe the first fox squirrel I have shot at with this rifle setup and not harvested.

Tiny bell the cat in pic, she doesn’t like fox squirrels. She loves grey squirrel shoots hence she was disappointed big time. When I come home from hunting Tiny Bell meets me and jumps on back of truck hoping for the greys.

Anyways bring season total to 447
Career harvest to 51,289
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E39739DB-533D-4AAB-95AF-C9C9CB24A0C0.jpg (529.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 04:51 PM
bushytail man

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can reticle of the element Helix be seen in hardwoods forest?
Old 01-19-2021, 05:14 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A nice day considering time of year.
Squirrels stirred little though.
Sorriest Jan I have ever seen thus far.
Anyways bagged one.
Limb blocking head so shot him behind the head. Estimated range 60 yards sitting right beside a nest high up in tree. He jumped when I shot. Medicine took a hold about 2 minutes later and he came tumbling out.
Brings season total to 448
Career harvest to 51,290
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A02E76E-2008-4A52-B7F3-076B8EB0EBBE.jpg (535.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 07:12 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytail man View Post
Can reticle of the element Helix be seen in hardwoods forest?
Here’s video showing second focal plane model reticle.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UdUP66IiuUs
Old 02-24-2021, 04:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
squirrel1 how many squirrels did you get for the season? is your season over?

Tooltime
Old 02-26-2021, 05:50 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltime View Post
squirrel1 how many squirrels did you get for the season? is your season over?

Tooltime
Season will be over this Sunday.
So far since Aug 22, 2021 a total of 452.
Next couple days loads of rain forecast.
Might get a few more between drenches.
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrel1 that's impressive. I had a guy that lived near me that would kill 150 a year and I thought was a lot. Congrats on your season.

Tooltime